Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 June 2008, 07:24   #11
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,238
RIBase
Size of anchor for a Dr 490

Any andvice on a small tidy anchor not grapple type for a valiant Dr 490
__________________

__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 09:08   #12
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Any andvice on a small tidy anchor not grapple type for a valiant Dr 490
I would just get the inexpensive 6 kg Chinese Delta knockoff. It's effective on just about any surface. It's not too bad at all for storage once you've tucked your spooled anchor rope within in. Here is a picture of it with the rope strapped within the bow storage box on my SIB. It still leaves lots of space within the box for other essentials.




Other than that there is a neat folding anchor called a 'box anchor' which is about 3 x the price of the Delta knockoff (about the same price as a real Delta). I read mixed reviews of it's effectiveness though.
__________________

__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 11:13   #13
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
I would just get the inexpensive 6 kg Chinese Delta knockoff. It's effective on just about any surface. It's not too bad at all for storage once you've tucked your spooled anchor rope within in. Here is a picture of it with the rope strapped within the bow storage box on my SIB. It still leaves lots of space within the box for other essentials.




Other than that there is a neat folding anchor called a 'box anchor' which is about 3 x the price of the Delta knockoff (about the same price as a real Delta). I read mixed reviews of it's effectiveness though.
PT that is a knock off Bruce anchor if I'm not mistaken!
Not a Delta, Nick
__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 12:37   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
Yep, Bruce rather than Delta. I do prefer the Bruce myself but some folk here prefer the delta, Either way I would buy the largest I can fit/afford as in an emergency there is no such thing as a big enough anchor and chain!
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 16:18   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Any andvice on a small tidy anchor not grapple type for a valiant Dr 490
The smallest bruce fits ok in the locker of the valiant , I can't remember what wieght it is , I said i had a 5kg on my new boat but i think the 5 kg is the smallest bruce and my new one is a 7.5 . anyway it was never an issue on my valiant , its not a heavy boat
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 16:48   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
You can buy a 2.5kg Bruce, used to have one as a backup when I was completely paranoid and carried two anchors and chains/ropes. Now one set and a drogue anchor does me.
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 20:46   #17
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
PT that is a knock off Bruce anchor if I'm not mistaken!
Not a Delta, Nick

You're right! What was I thinking?
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2008, 17:35   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
You can buy a 2.5kg Bruce, used to have one as a backup when I was completely paranoid and carried two anchors and chains/ropes. Now one set and a drogue anchor does me.
oh well i did have it right then , a 5kg is what i have now and the valiant was fine with the 2.5kg and a decent length of chain
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2008, 17:43   #19
Member
 
randski's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
How do they hold in muddy shingle/stones. I often anchor off Turnaware and the tide really rips through there. Wouldn't want to wake up to find myself up near the KHF like a friend did!
Have spent a few of nights off Turnaware with a 5kg bruce ( lots of chain) with my 2500kg hard boat ( I know ) and it holds well
__________________
Bob
randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2008, 17:57   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 385
I guess that my 5.5m with a bruce and a "bit" of chain should be ok then!!
I'll pop into Maccysalvers when I get home!
__________________

__________________
Markyboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.