Old 26 July 2009, 08:46   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
An interesting day and DSC really works !

Saturday was a varied day starting off with an alternator change which for once went smoothly with only one socket lost in the bilges . Then a rough ride to Portsmouth to give the batteries a good charge . On crossing from Gunwharf to Ballast we got clearance to cross and my son took a slight angle rather than a 90 degree route .We were pounced on by Cpt Mainwaring & Cpl Jones in the QHM patrol boat who took great delight in telling off my son in no uncertain terms . I took issue with their attitude and reminded them of the statement on QHM website that they are ( To advise and assist) and that it would have been better to explain why they had stopped us rather than the heavy handed manner they adpoted.It was obvious they were looking for a victim to bollock and chose a 20 year old in charge of a large RIB .
Our return to Chichester was rougher still due to the massive ebb that had started .Dropped off every one at the pontoon and returned to my mooring , picked up the chain and was having a tidy up when I heard a loud beeping , I thought now what yet another engine warning and went to the console to have a look .It was the DSC with a Mayday . Looked at the chart plotter and to my horror the waypoint was just outside the harbour . I waited about 30 seconds to see if there was a responce .
Nothing heard except a female voice saying something like ' help he's gone overboard' my heart stopped ! I ran up and dropped the chain and took off down the harbour at max welly .
All the timewas trying to think through what I was going to do and how, being single handed at the time . I was also trying to speak to Solent on 16 and drive the boat . As I got got near to the waypoint on the plotter I was greatly relieved to find both Lifeboats and Hayling Rescue converging on the same spot . We all stopped and there was no boat to be seen ! Conatct had been lost on 16 and SCG were calling without any response . A dredger working nearby reported a yatch with a man being dragged behind some 1 mile west of the MOB waypoint . I am glad to say Frank Dunster (legend) of Hayling Rescue ( google him) was frst on the scene and got the guy out of the water . He had gone overboard and was being dragged by his lifeline and banging against the hull! Frank cut the line and got him aboard .
The return to the mooring was at the 8 knot limit and my heart was doing a lot more !
Old 26 July 2009, 09:35   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Nice work.
Old 26 July 2009, 09:39   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
Saturday was a varied day starting off with an alternator change which for once went smoothly with only one socket lost in the bilges . Then a rough ride to Portsmouth to give the batteries a good charge . On crossing from Gunwharf to Ballast we got clearance to cross and my son took a slight angle rather than a 90 degree route .We were pounced on by Cpt Mainwaring & Cpl Jones in the QHM patrol boat who took great delight in telling off my son in no uncertain terms . I took issue with their attitude and reminded them of the statement on QHM website that they are ( To advise and assist) and that it would have been better to explain why they had stopped us rather than the heavy handed manner they adpoted.It was obvious they were looking for a victim to bollock and chose a 20 year old in charge of a large RIB .
!
You are correct they seemed a little over zealous yesterday. I saw them approaching our two RIBs in their Dory as we entered the harbour about 2 pm and it did look like they were intent on being in everyones face, it was certainly a different feel to them yesterday despite not actually speaking to them, I even point to them for my clients to see what they were doing. I dont believe we did anything wrong , as correct speed and proceedures adopted but these two were jsut staring at everyone. Perhaps we could offer them a customer services course!

Well done on responding , got to say rescue cover around Hayling is good and Frank is always there with his massive RIB!
Old 26 July 2009, 09:45   #4
RIBnet supporter

Thinking more about it now I realise how badly I did ! Not responding to the DSC and gabbling on 16 ! Just glad Frank was around i hate to think what would have happened with him.
Old 26 July 2009, 10:39   #5
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Thinking more about it now I realise how badly I did ! Not responding to the DSC and gabbling on 16 ! Just glad Frank was around i hate to think what would have happened with him.
Dont knock yourself, you were there and helped, also using 16 might have been the only way to act as relay etc etc. If you had been in the way or talking too much I am sure coast guard ops would have asked you firmly to wait out! I was out last weekend when another went off but it was relayed from Portland area but still we heard it, still sends a chiver down the spine thinking someone in trouble.
Old 26 July 2009, 10:40   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
I think you are being hard on yourself . You put yourself out, to the right place in a very capable boat, only to find you couldn't help. You could have come upon a very differant scene and done all you could to help.

I did hear this on 16 but was 35 miles away and did hear the CG cancel the call.

I think a good effort on your and all involved.
Old 26 July 2009, 12:31   #7

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
A good effort indeed. Nice one.

I hope the guy suffered no ill effects.

Also nice to know that the DSC system is coming together, it gets a fair bit of stick but clearly the big red button does have uses after all.
Old 26 July 2009, 12:40   #8

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Quote:
Our return to Chichester was rougher still due to the massive ebb that had started .Dropped off every one at the pontoon and returned to my mooring , picked up the chain and was having a tidy up when I heard a loud beeping , I thought now what yet another engine warning and went to the console to have a look .It was the DSC with a Mayday . Looked at the chart plotter and to my horror the waypoint was just outside the harbour . I waited about 30 seconds to see if there was a responce .
Nothing heard except a female voice saying something like ' help he's gone overboard' my heart stopped ! I ran up and dropped the chain and took off down the harbour at max welly .
All the timewas trying to think through what I was going to do and how, being single handed at the time . I was also trying to speak to Solent on 16 and drive the boat . As I got got near to the waypoint on the plotter I was greatly relieved to find both Lifeboats and Hayling Rescue converging on the same spot . We all stopped and there was no boat to be seen ! Conatct had been lost on 16 and SCG were calling without any response . A dredger working nearby reported a yatch with a man being dragged behind some 1 mile west of the MOB waypoint . I am glad to say Frank Dunster (legend) of Hayling Rescue ( google him) was frst on the scene and got the guy out of the water . He had gone overboard and was being dragged by his lifeline and banging against the hull! Frank cut the line and got him aboard .
The return to the mooring was at the 8 knot limit and my heart was doing a lot more !
After we chatted about the french trip my boy and I tried to catch a mackerel or two from the beach by the race box.

I saw you go stonking out & wondered why, all clear now. nice to know your never too far away from help when you need it. Did I see you bringing the yacht back in a little later?
later
I will get back to you to plan the trip to St Vasst.

MB
Old 26 July 2009, 12:46   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Well done Lurcher you did your best!!!

And I just hate and detest busy bodies like that - bah humbug and all that - they are lucky they didn't have a go at me.........

I just googled Frank Dunster - an amazing bloke - it's rather ironic that he must be way over the age that the RNLI force ILB crew to retire at - good job he's still going!!!
Old 26 July 2009, 12:59   #10

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Well done Lurcher you did your best!!!

And I just hate and detest busy bodies like that - bah humbug and all that - they are lucky they didn't have a go at me.........

I just googled Frank Dunster - an amazing bloke - it's rather ironic that he must be way over the age that the RNLI force ILB crew to retire at - good job he's still going!!!
You can stay on ILB's past 45 if you do a yearly medical. I think its only upto 50 though.
Old 26 July 2009, 13:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
You can stay on ILB's past 45 if you do a yearly medical. I think its only upto 50 though.
I think Frank may be past that watershed. He is indeed a superb chap, he has hauled me out of the poo a couple of times!
Old 26 July 2009, 14:21   #12

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Well done you for going to investigate - it's actions like that that ultimately save lives....

I went out today (Sunday) and the chop was too much for my kids, so we got as far as Langstone and then back. As we were entering Portsmouth Harbour not only was the QHM Harbour Patrol looking very busy, but I also heard a DSC which the coastguard dealt with on 16.

Seems a yacht ran aground on rocks outside Chichester, I see on the charts that there are two areas of exposed rocks. I hope all were OK.
Old 26 July 2009, 17:20   #13

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
A dredger working nearby reported a yatch with a man being dragged behind some 1 mile west of the MOB waypoint . I am glad to say Frank Dunster (legend) of Hayling Rescue ( google him) was frst on the scene and got the guy out of the water . He had gone overboard and was being dragged by his lifeline and banging against the hull! Frank cut the line and got him aboard .
Lurcher,

Any idea why the DSC position was s far out? A mile is a long way, or was this the actual position of where the button was pressed with the vessel carrying on albeit slowed by the makeshift drogue.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2009, 18:25   #14

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Good on you for your actions, whilst you were not needed this time, none of us will never know until on scene.
Im glad I am not the only one who has had the thought about I wonder what I will do when i get there. You will only find out when it happens. Some will do a great job, others may not. Good training does help.

Once again well done, if i were being dragged along by a yacht, just the sight of another vessel arriving on scene would raise my spirit.
Old 26 July 2009, 22:54   #15
RIBnet supporter

[CODEAny idea why the DSC position was s far out? A mile is a long way, or was this the actual position of where the button was pressed with the vessel carrying on albeit slowed by the makeshift drogue.][/CODE]

My assumption is that the tide was in the second hour of the ebb and was setting to the west but I may be wrong ,will ask Frank .
Old 27 July 2009, 12:48   #16
RIBnet supporter

Loose ends

This taken from RNLI website .
Both lifeboats were awaiting to be recovered following a PR exercise at Langstone when a MAYDAY was sent by a yacht in Hayling Bay. The skipper of the yacht had fallen over board and his wife had thrown a line to him but she had been unable to get him back on the yacht and was unsure of their position. Hayling Rescue also responded and a lifeboat crew member was transferred on to Hayling Rescue to assist the skipper who was on his own. The lifeboats and Hayling Rescue then serached for the yacht. Hayling Rescue was first on scene and the lifeboat crew member went into the water to assist the casualty and using a knife from Hayling Rescue, the casualty's wife cut the line and her husband was assisted on to Hayling Rescue. The casualty was then transferred to the Atlantic 85 and taken back to the lifeboat station and later transferred to an ambulance as he had suspected hypothermia after being in the water for 45mins. Hayling Rescue, with assistance from lifeboat crew, towed the yacht into Sparkes Marina and the casualty's wife was then taken by lifeboat to the lifeboat station. The lifeboats returned to station at 17.16
Old 27 July 2009, 17:30   #17
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
This taken from RNLI website .
" The casualty was then transferred to the Atlantic 85 and taken back to the lifeboat station and later transferred to an ambulance as he had suspected hypothermia after being in the water for 45mins. 17.16
Although sunny on Saturday the wind was strong in the afternoon and he was a lucky person to hang on that long.
Old 27 July 2009, 19:34   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
We were pounced on by Cpt Mainwaring & Cpl Jones in the QHM patrol boat who took great delight in telling off my son in no uncertain terms .
I was out on Saturday and noticed that they seemed unusually keen. I wonder if anyone realises that the more the behave like that the less notice anyone takes of them!

You'll probably get a speeding ticket in the post from the Chichester mob
Old 27 July 2009, 23:31   #19

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
You'll probably get a speeding ticket in the post from the Chichester mob
So how's this work then?

You heard a distress call and want to react as quickly as possible. You're in a speed restricted area where travelling fast is a danger in it's self. You have no Idea if there is any other help coming to assist so must make that all important decision.

What would you do? I know what I would do with the knowledge I have now, but I'm sure there are guide lines in more advanced courses tackeling this scenario.

Perhaps someone would like to enlighten me please?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 12:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
What would you do? I know what I would do with the knowledge I have now...
You can only make the decision on the merits of that particular set of events:-

What danger will your speeding represent, has the Mayday been responded to by someone else, are you near enough that the speed will make a real difference. I think in this case it was absolutely the right thing to do, 45 minutes is a long time to be a MOB and five minutes either way could have made a difference.

On the other hand there is good lifeboat coverage in the area...

On the other other hand we all have a solemn duty to go to another mariners aid.....

Oh eck, off for a lie down to stop the spinning!