Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Was this the zap-cat accident?

Old 22 November 2004, 16:24   #12

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Using mobile to access web so won't go into long reply... might comment on the Ambo side of things later...

Just wanted to agree with DanielTD5... that was my first thought as to who it was too!

That program was too painful to watch. It did nothing to increase the public awareness of the ILBs and indeed I intial thoughts were the public would associate it with the RNLI and actually think what the f*ck - I thought they were professionals!

Anyway of topic.

SDG

Old 22 November 2004, 17:30   #13
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
It wasn't 'the zapcat incident' it was some asymetric dinghies on the south coast. It doesn't really matter in any case.
Old 22 November 2004, 18:44   #14
CND

Town: UK
Boat name: Searider Something !
Length: 6m +
MMSI: witheld number
Being there, the thing that worried me was the "approach" of the rescue service as CJL described.

Having worked with the RNLI and other Rescue teams it is rare that an unfortunate encounter occurs such as the one we had.

It certainly didnt contribute to a faster, safer, more successfull outcome, but then again, easily said when you are not the one on call up on a sunday afternoon, and maybe we were not in posession of all the facts, but i feel being 10 yards away from the action constitues a fairly good vantage point.

Some good lessons were learned that i think we can all take from, learn, and ensure that if we are in that situation again we all do the same; the best we can.

I know that we have been going through the motions of basic heli rescue stuff for years but as CJL prescribed earlier in this thread, the Safety Boat Code of Practice needs developing, and it is up to us, the consumers to make sure that we have the correct kit on board to deal with such matters as and when they arise..........because they do!

has anybody else had any similar experiences lately? or any really positive heli extracts to put my mind at rest?
Old 23 November 2004, 03:51   #15

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
For detailed Helo rescues talk to the mid atlantic swimmer....Alan P

A casualty with a spinal injury or suspected spinal injury is probably the worst sort your'll come across, recovery into a rib is probably the easiest option as the stern tube can be deflated and the impobilized casualty floated onto the deck, a back board certainly makes things easier in these circumstances.
Old 23 November 2004, 04:24   #16

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
what suprised me is if there were people there who had the training and knowledge to collar and board this guy, why was he still in the water?

If he was stable on the board I would have got him out of the water onto a boat and tried to warm him. Dry suit or not the water is not the best place for him.

Maybe I have that wrong am sure DM would have done the same.
Leaving him in the water for that length of time is not good.

Regards
Old 23 November 2004, 04:46   #17

Town: Poole
Now before I start let me explain I just about know how to apply a plaster to myself and cannot be considered in anyway a doctor, unless you are female and have sore bre**ts in which case I'm a consultant

Although leaving someone in the water will bring on hypothermia it can act as a artificial pain killer and provide support, due to buoyancy, for the injured area.

I have seen people with broken legs/arms left in the water for ages until the extraction method is all set with all parties understanding what to do and when.

And as a final piece of medical advice if you are at sea when you have a dirty open wound that needs sterilising. Drop your trousers and pee on it !!!

Cheers

Mark
Old 23 November 2004, 04:56   #18
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
That final bit of advice I`ll give a miss thank you!

Have you seen the Friends episode when they all go to the beach???

Chris
Old 23 November 2004, 05:43   #19

Town: Poole
Chris

So you don't want my maggots advice either

Regards
Mark
Old 23 November 2004, 09:30   #20
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey
Although leaving someone in the water will bring on hypothermia it can act as a artificial pain killer
Yep, I'd agree with Mr. Wildey on that. Death is a very effective pain killer.

It's hard to say what should have been done without being there and a local knowledge of availability/nearness of medical facilities but 40 minutes in the water sounds a bit of a joke to me. Spinal injury in the water is difficult to assess and deal with, even for a pro, but I suspect I'd have had him in the boat sharpish. I'm not a big fan of spinal boards anyway. A vacuum matress is more effective at contour stabilisation.

The stats show that the percentage of members of ILB's with professional seafaring experience is far less than twenty years ago leading to a degradation in boat handling skills.

Anyway, a good learning experience, for Chris and the rest of us, that as far as Voluntary Organisations are concerned, there's no guarantee of a quality service. There's no guarantee with the pro services either, but I'll go with the odds thank you.

Never trust a volunteer.

DM