Old 14 October 2002, 19:53   #1

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
An excellent boat

Hey All

About a month ago I bought a 4,2 m Gemini GRX from P Lemmer. A fully inflatable boat with a plywood floor, solid closed transom and under water speed tubes. (The same under water profile as a Zap Cat) buit by Gemini in S Africa the build quality is excellent and every detail is built to last. I purchased a second hand 30 HP Mariner, 2 cylinder that I run on the back giving a very good turn of speed.

The boat performs superbly, is great fun, stable and can be packed into the back of the car.

For £4,000 ish new, inc engine you are on the water in a boat that in many circumstances can out perform a RIB of similar size.

I have driven the Zodiac Futura, its nearest rival in the market and they dont even compare.

I use it for diving, sking, kneeboarding (In the surf) and messing about in rediculously harsh conditions, when everyone else is of the water. I took it out with a mate (You need a crew up front when the breeze is on) in the bay this weekend when that low presure came through with a good force 8 with constant 9 gusts and we were fine if perhaps a little damp.

I have fliped it a couple of times, only once by accident. On my own I can flip it, right it on my own clear the engine and have it restarted and under way in under 10 min.

If anyone is thinking of purchasing a simmilar craft I can recomend this one with no hesitation.

Toby

P.S it was the red and yellow boat at the SofC departure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grx1.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1176  
Old 15 October 2002, 11:51   #2
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
When you say 'flip it' do you mean upside down???? if so does the water not get into the engine and knacker it????
Old 23 October 2002, 17:19   #3

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
No

Tim,

Yes the engine fills with water but it is only a simple two stroke so right the boat, cowling off, spin the engine, plugs out, drain carb, bleed fuel turn over, duck oil, plugs in, back together and off you go. If pos rince with fresh water also. You can do all this with a sdriver, spanner, plyers and can of spray that are all tied together on a continuos length of cord.

Hopefully that awnsers your question.

Toby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grx vert.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	1244