Click Here to Login

Old 18 January 2007, 16:37   #1

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Amphibious, expensive and pointless wheeled RIB in action

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Unfortunately, on the Thames, above Wandsworth, in the 8 knot limit and probably the cause of a million and one complaints from the easily aggravated rowing community... Plus only the helm has a l/jacket, grrr.

Oh God, do I sound boring , but I bet that the next few RIBS that passed through were unjustly blamed/suspected of similar antics. The rowers are now finally starting to have to comply with normal maritime laws, so it's a shame when they get any ammo against other river users.

I like the fact that there isn't any speed limit d/stream of Wandsworth, but that means you should respect it when there is one.

Just a general rant, not aimed at RIBNET users, I suspect that the chaps in this clip barely know that they have bought a RIB (of sorts..).

Right soap box away, off to get a life now...

t
Old 18 January 2007, 16:47   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Erm,

Doesn't look good at all for those of us that try and obey the rules.
Guess your going to get loads of City people buying those boats and giving all us RIBbers a bad name.
Hopefully the cruise on the 21st will show them otherwise.
Old 18 January 2007, 19:47   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Guess that must be a Sealegs?

Like the idea of the boat, shame about the owners...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 20:39   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
What was with all laughing. Its only a boat ride.
what a twot!!
Old 18 January 2007, 21:03   #5

Aidan

Don't you find that when you take people out that have never been on a RIB before that they all laugh like that !
Old 18 January 2007, 21:13   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Aidan

Don't you find that when you take people out that have never been on a RIB before that they all laugh like that !
Not in mine they don't

I posted a nice friendly comment for him.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 21:17   #7

Quote:
Aidan

Hi Biggles, only when they are nervous dude which is often.
I guess its cos I have good ear phones on and its annoying.
However, I have watched it again and perhaps the only thing now annoying me is that I recall this boat from the RIb Int and it reminds me of a tractor.

It is however very useful for the RNLI guys etc.
I would guess that in season 2 you would be oiling and servicing alot of moving parts etc.

He is an anoying bast...d tho, what can I say, so am I on ocasions!!!
Old 18 January 2007, 21:51   #8

BMW syndrome.

It looks like a salesman driving the boat. He's after a sale to two London monkeys. The salesman has a suit on and lifejacket. The monkeys don't have lifejackets, which is the salesmans fault for not providing them, they are probably on a scam for a free ride and a cheap bit of fun. Any serious RIBber knows that particular boat is probably useless in any sort of decent seas.
The people at the pub are naturally interested. But overall the film/picture just makes it look like anybody, with no training or prior knowledge, but enough money is capable of taking a boat out and having safe and easy fun. Unfortuneatly from what Tideway has said they have had to break the law to do that.

Its a bit like BMW syndrome. Buy a nice fast car but the only way to get some fun out of it is to break the speed limit. And when the Police speed cameras cop them they moan about being picked on. They are all knobs. Shame Britains full of them.
Old 18 January 2007, 22:11   #9

[QUOTE=Biggles;182616] It looks like a salesman driving the boat. QUOTE]

I thought that too...

But anyone with half a brain would see what a compromised and deeply flawed package the whole set up is.

Ahhh. I see your point.

t
Old 18 January 2007, 22:23   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
[quote=Tideway;182619]
Quote:
It looks like a salesman driving the boat. QUOTE]

I thought that too...

But anyone with half a brain would see what a compromised and deeply flawed package the whole set up is.

Ahhh. I see your point.

t
Not trying to condone speeding or reckless behaviour at all; but why do you believe this is a fundamentally flawed boat/package. Its not for me, and I am sure for many people of here - but for the sort of application it is used for in the video (launch/recovery without trailer and no need for pontoons etc - used in relatively sheltered waters) it actually seems pretty good. I would have thought it would suit someone who wants to keep the boat ashore, and operates in relatively sheltered waters, and always operates in the same area of water so doesn't need a trailer. Am I missing something about this boat that wasn't obvious about in the clip (or was I too busy saying - "is he really driving a rib in shirt and tie?"),
Old 18 January 2007, 22:27   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I don't think the Sealegs is pointless - would make a great toy - especially in my home waters - you could drag yourself over the sand banks - waiting for the tide would never be a problem again!!! Would also make a great superyacht tender.
Old 18 January 2007, 22:39   #12

It is technically quite a neat package, all hydraulic (so I reluctantly admit probably quite robust at the wet end) and can move the boat over the type of terrain/incline shown. But what I can't figure out is how much benefit that gives you over a trailer? You pay a fortune for the capability, have the whole wheeled propulsion rig (and electro(?)/hydraulic pumps etc)
to worry about on top of the rest of the boat. And then have three bloody great legs with quad tyres hanging off of the boat. Which can't really do wonders for its handling or seakeeping.

Basically I see it as a gimmicy toy, if you can afford it and have an application for it, then fine. But you will be putting up with compromised boat package, and you can't drive it off down the pub, just up the beach and onto its trailer.

Now if you could leave the legs down, hitch it to a car and dispense with the trailer, then that would be something else... But Allyduck came up with that a few years ago!

Personally, I can't see the need for it, but that isn't to say others couldn't. So, point taken Polwart.

Still speeding though.

t
Old 18 January 2007, 22:48   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I can think of several people I know who keep their boat out the water at a single location throughout the season but don't use it as much as they might because launch/recovery is a timeconsuming and difficult short handed. I also remember launching/recovering RIBS as rescue craft in inshore waters taking up valuable sailing time when I was younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideway View Post
Still speeding though.
I just watched one of his other videos on YouTube and his other antics aren't really what I would expect to see on the Thames either.
Old 18 January 2007, 22:52   #14

[QUOTE=Polwart;182622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideway View Post

N "is he really driving a rib in shirt and tie?"),
Gee, That is London for you, ye got everything...
Still good for Drug Running up the Thames, Hardly Miami vice,

How about Crocket and "Tub`bs"

Still think it looks like a cross between a Tractor and Reliant Robin, and a bloody 2 stroker choker to boot if I recall from the mag Rib Int.

And as for the Tie, what Public School Boys, any one know it?

What happens to the Well off Boys in these public Schools who do not make it in business or politics. I mean there has to be a few...... dont tell me then end up selling floating reliant robins, The difference is that the reliant robin goes faster and is more stable.....

Still say that Servicing and looking after hoses and hydraulics has got to be a pain once guarantee runs out
Old 19 January 2007, 09:09   #15

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Well I like the idea because I could just lease a bit of land near to the water, build a shed and that is all that would be needed, could launch and recover with ease any time.

I haven't read the RIB Intl article for a while but I seem to remember they didn't think the fittings compromised the rest of the boat's performance.

The obvious snag is that it is about 40 grand compared to about 20 for a similar sized similar powered "normal RIB" from Ribcraft/Osprey etc...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 12:21   #16

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
biased opinion as i tube the sealegs .the driver is not the sales person .the boat was tested by nick barsch an ex racer who now owns the rights to the phantom 19 which he sells and rigs after moulding has been done by bananashark and who helps engineer on the King of shaves powerboat ,his opinion was that it performed very well and was well engineered .basically you will always get a minority bltently breaking the rules and acting like twats to the detriment of the majority
Old 19 January 2007, 12:25   #17

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
forgot to say that for the right people ie older not so fit it is easier to launch and very simple to launch if your property borders the water with a gentle sloping bank or beach ie in the right plce far better than a trailer
Old 19 January 2007, 12:40   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Expensive certainly, impractical possibly, pointless maybe -- but I'd like one.

I think they're cool!

John
Old 19 January 2007, 12:56   #19

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
I like them too... I hope they are a success.

Perfect for the inhabitants of "The Warren"........
Old 19 January 2007, 17:16   #20

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
It looks like a salesman driving the boat. He's after a sale to two London monkeys. The salesman has a suit on and lifejacket. The monkeys don't have lifejackets, which is the salesmans fault for not providing them, they are probably on a scam for a free ride and a cheap bit of fun. Any serious RIBber knows that particular boat is probably useless in any sort of decent seas.
The people at the pub are naturally interested. But overall the film/picture just makes it look like anybody, with no training or prior knowledge, but enough money is capable of taking a boat out and having safe and easy fun. Unfortuneatly from what Tideway has said they have had to break the law to do that.

Its a bit like BMW syndrome. Buy a nice fast car but the only way to get some fun out of it is to break the speed limit. And when the Police speed cameras cop them they moan about being picked on. They are all knobs. Shame Britains full of them.
Hi Biggles have you actually seen one up close because i think your been just a bit to quick to slag it off.Yes in the video they did appear as if they had lost some brain cells.The rib its self is ali and very well put together.The idea is great.The cost isnt but i would imagine the ride is better than you lmagine .

« dodgy | Top | In the Forth »