Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 January 2007, 17:19   #21

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
The Honda 23cc engine which is electric start exausts under the hull, it runs the hydrolics for wheels this is why it sounds like a tractor i,m afraid.
Old 19 January 2007, 22:59   #22

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Well I like the idea because I could just lease a bit of land near to the water, build a shed and that is all that would be needed, could launch and recover with ease any time.

I haven't read the RIB Intl article for a while but I seem to remember they didn't think the fittings compromised the rest of the boat's performance.

The obvious snag is that it is about 40 grand compared to about 20 for a similar sized similar powered "normal RIB" from Ribcraft/Osprey etc...
You may find it a bit easier to lease a bit of land in Falklands than over here Stephan.
The weight of Hydraulics must impinge on performance alone, to the point of them having to use (i think) two stroke.

It is a good idea lads, it its just, well, I cannot see the boat been shown of by lovely Blond Lassies in Bikini`s. But then again, I think of the Cobra and Dave is no Dumb blond...
You will not find me in it.... unless it is a rescue boat and all those look well, specially if you are looking up at them , wet!
Old 21 January 2007, 15:21   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
I like it, looks a bit stupid ... but has its uses. No faff, no slip hogging or messing about with trailers and cars. Got to be the fastest recovery I have seen.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 15:40   #24

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I like it, looks a bit stupid ... but has its uses. No faff, no slip hogging or messing about with trailers and cars. Got to be the fastest recovery I have seen.
No faf,Hogging etc you must be describing my local (25 mile away)slipway boy am i looking forward to that.
Old 28 January 2007, 13:37   #25

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
They do come with a trailer and a ramp for driving the RIB onto it for going on the road - but you drive it onto the trailer on dry land therefore making you bearings last a lot longer!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 18:10   #26

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Looking at their website most of the comments on how good the SeaLegs system is are from Older people who would struggle to handle a launching etc so I guess if it helps you stay on the water longer then its gotta be good.
Old 29 January 2007, 18:32   #27

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Would be good for beach lifegaurd duty, launch straight off the beach at first sign of trouble?
Old 30 January 2007, 15:43   #28

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Don't know. There are, however, other places to use a boat than open ocean in moderate to heavy seas.

A lot of people have purpose-built ski boats, pontoons, bass boats, all kinds of things that would fall under the "worthless in a decent blow" category. Not everyone wants to be able to run in 10 foot seas.

I think that thing may be great in something like a lake setting; easy to run it in and dash around while on vacation. Not sure I'd like the price, though. Then again, most new things are kind of pricey.

To each his own (though I agree with Biggles' BMW sentiments... )

jky
Old 30 January 2007, 15:51   #29

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
"Its a bit like BMW syndrome. Buy a nice fast car but the only way to get some fun out of it is to break the speed limit. And when the Police speed cameras cop them they moan about being picked on. They are all knobs. Shame Britains full of them." -Biggles

Oi! I`ve got a 530d yet my missus drives faster than me! (she cant drive a boat to save her life though!)
I sort of agree, but only cos i`m a bit older than the young speed freak knobs i`m sure you were referring to!

« dodgy | Top | In the Forth »