Old 21 June 2019, 22:28   #1

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Amazon bilge pumps...

ok here goes, you buy cheap you buy twice!

Our boat has a cockpit bilge pump, that has to work all year round.

It gets filled with sand, gravel, dead insects and stuff. the boat is 13 years old now so its had a few of these. They typically last 2 to 3 years.

Anyway I spotted what looked like a copy of the usual Rulemate auto 500 on amazon for £35. The Rule pump in the chandlers is usually about £70 to £80 so I thought this was a big saving.

So it arrived and looked good but first problem. The outlet is the bigger size, cant remember what its supposed to be but the Rule pumps don't go to that size until you reach the 900 or 1000s

So I stripped the old pump for its housing, and ended up swapping the impellor too as the copy one was a little taller and would not turn with the genuine rule housing fitted

So it took me about 30 mins to solder the quick connectors on (which slowed the process down lol) and then I bolted it in

Plugging it all in I heard the pump give a little buzz, and after 30 secs it ran for about 2 secs. I thought this may be a set up process but its not. It seems that these electric pumps run every 30 secs to look for water I suppose.

Super annoying, and I figure it will take the marina about a week to call and say the boat is making a funny noise so the Auto wire got removed for the short future until the Rule 500 arrives at the chandlers.

Bugger
Old 30 June 2019, 20:41   #2

Town: friday harbor WA
Boat name: beluga
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 40
I always felt my zodiac pro's standard bilge pump was an electronic luxury that was wonderful while it worked, but was bound to fail. It failed last week. I’m not very skillful at doing electronic repairs, so I just ordered a hand bilge pump for $23 to replace it. I've used them on kayaks so I think it will handle the job just fine, if not so hands-off. I may get a proper bilge replacement next time I take the boat in for something more major, but maybe not. I’m naturally curious how others have handled a dead bilge, and if anyone else has changed over to a hand pump simply because fixing anything on a zodiac pro is expensive.
Old 04 July 2019, 05:53   #3

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
ok here goes, you buy cheap you buy twice!
Never agreed with that Cliché you just need to know what you are buying.

The belief in that Cliché is half of the reason marine stuff is so expensive