Old 25 January 2014, 19:31   #1

Town: Coalbrookedale
Boat name: 3rd Time Lucky
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: 235103926
Aluminium Hulls

Hi all, does anyone here have any information on manufacturing of aluminium hulled RIBs? Useful contacts etc?
I'm pretty clued up on aluminium grades and specifications welding and shaping techniques I run a small business manufacturing mainly bespoke vehicle body's and panels. (www.metalcraftltd.com) Obviously I will need to work much thicker material than we normally use for car body's!
I have been rather tempted to build an aluminium boat for a while but as yet haven't been able to get much technical info, like plans etc, would be a great help!! If I am going to do this I want to use a tried and tested hull shape and design.
I have the equipment and the experience here to do it, but would love a bit of guidance from someone who has done it successfully already.
I am not looking for this to be a commercial venture at this stage.. more of a personal project, with a possibility of maybe taking it further.
I have in mind an offshore suitable deep vee design around 6m and want to make all the internal elements in aluminium, deck, console, seating. And ideally twin engined set up.
I think this would make for an interesting project...
Any info you have to offer would be brilliant..
Pete

Old 26 January 2014, 04:22   #2

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes View Post
Hi all, does anyone here have any information on manufacturing of aluminium hulled RIBs? Useful contacts etc? I'm pretty clued up on aluminium grades and specifications welding and shaping techniques I run a small business manufacturing mainly bespoke vehicle body's and panels. (www.metalcraftltd.com) Obviously I will need to work much thicker material than we normally use for car body's! I have been rather tempted to build an aluminium boat for a while but as yet haven't been able to get much technical info, like plans etc, would be a great help!! If I am going to do this I want to use a tried and tested hull shape and design. I have the equipment and the experience here to do it, but would love a bit of guidance from someone who has done it successfully already. I am not looking for this to be a commercial venture at this stage.. more of a personal project, with a possibility of maybe taking it further. I have in mind an offshore suitable deep vee design around 6m and want to make all the internal elements in aluminium, deck, console, seating. And ideally twin engined set up. I think this would make for an interesting project... Any info you have to offer would be brilliant.. Pete
I have a 5.6m aluminium RIB. It is a one off that was sold to me with tubes attached but not much else. I was also given the drawings with it. Apparently it was designed to also be built at 6.6metres. It is not what I would call a deep V, but it may give you a starting point.

Now I just have to find them as I have since computer since.

Old 26 January 2014, 04:37   #3

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes View Post
Hi all, does anyone here have any information on manufacturing of aluminium hulled RIBs? Useful contacts etc?
I'm pretty clued up on aluminium grades and specifications welding and shaping techniques I run a small business manufacturing mainly bespoke vehicle body's and panels. (www.metalcraftltd.com) Obviously I will need to work much thicker material than we normally use for car body's!
I have been rather tempted to build an aluminium boat for a while but as yet haven't been able to get much technical info, like plans etc, would be a great help!! If I am going to do this I want to use a tried and tested hull shape and design.
I have the equipment and the experience here to do it, but would love a bit of guidance from someone who has done it successfully already.
I am not looking for this to be a commercial venture at this stage.. more of a personal project, with a possibility of maybe taking it further.
I have in mind an offshore suitable deep vee design around 6m and want to make all the internal elements in aluminium, deck, console, seating. And ideally twin engined set up.
I think this would make for an interesting project...
Any info you have to offer would be brilliant..
Pete
An interesting project indeed...

Not sure whether you've seen the aluminium ribs built by Robust Boats but if not, have a peek here Robust Boats

Another seasoned builder in aluminium (albeit not ribs) is the good ol' water witch company in Liverpool and you might glean some useful general info here Aluminium Utility Boat (AUB) - Leisure / Workboat : Liverpool Water Witch

Best of luck and keep us all posted on the project development.

We all LOVE a good project thread (with pics, of course)
Old 26 January 2014, 04:40   #4

Town: Brighton
Hi

I built a 7m diesel jet rib from scratch about fifteen years ago in my mum's garage. I built everything apart from the tubes which were made by euro craft.

The hull plating was 5083-0 4mm and it had a massive egg box frame structure which was all 5083-0 5mm

All flat bars etc were 6082-t6 6mm

Have hundreds of photos!

Cheers

Will
Old 26 January 2014, 04:44   #5

Great thanks for your response and yes I'd love to see some drawings. Obviously wouldn't want to infringe anybody's copyright etc.
I am still in the very early stages of the project, but I would be certainly posting pics of progress as the build starts.
Thanks again for your help and interest.
Old 26 January 2014, 04:49   #6

I would love to see some photos! I would use that grade also (marine grade 5083) tough as old boots and welds nicely. I keep seeing references to 6mm thick for hull, but like you I feel that 4mm more than adequate.
Old 26 January 2014, 05:07   #7

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Just Looking
Make: Ribcraft 5.85
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
These chaps appear to be offering a design that you can build in ali. If you manage to get something going I would be interested to see your build. I swapped a fletcher for a rib!

Specialty Marine Contractors - RIBs

Has anyone used their design?
Old 26 January 2014, 05:16   #8

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
try Adam Younger "K4 Design " I am sure he has designed some aluminium ribs
Old 26 January 2014, 07:01   #9

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
I think XPRo make a rib with an Ali hull. I did looka few years ago at buying an ali rib that also had a ali tube.

Decided not to but it was made in Gloucester I think. I like the idea and would happily run one for the uses that I have for a rib.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2014, 07:59   #10

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
Hi
Alloy hulled ribs are very rare I looked for a while but could not find what I was looking for
A lot of people say it is due to the welds suffering from stress cracks
Don't know if this is true but I do know the super fast ferries made from alloy have welders
working 24/7 on them only to weld stress cracks!!