Old 15 February 2005, 11:23   #1

Town: Shieldhill
Boat name: Concorde
Make: Southern Pacific 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 Mercury Big Foot
Alko braked hubs....

What does everyone do with thier braked hubs to stop them sticking on ( mine partially seized in first year, cables and internals)...what is the hub nut torque......and...at what weight do I need brakes on the trailer.
I have just oiled the cables thoroughly, worked grease in both ends, and copper slipped everything in site, raising the cables up in the middle to allow water to run out, or not get in !

Is it me or are these Alko ones crap for sea launching

Old 15 February 2005, 11:49   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
The answer your question is yes.

Do a search on here if you want to read about the saga's with Alkos, you might want to set aside several hours though.

Pete

Old 15 February 2005, 14:46   #3
Trade member

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr770a
What does everyone do with thier braked hubs to stop them sticking on ( mine partially seized in first year, cables and internals)...what is the hub nut torque......and...at what weight do I need brakes on the trailer.
I have just oiled the cables thoroughly, worked grease in both ends, and copper slipped everything in site, raising the cables up in the middle to allow water to run out, or not get in !

The hub nut as my local Alco dealer informed me "once out must be replaced with a brand new one"
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2005, 15:03   #4

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Quote:

My alko brakes started getting stuck after about the 2nd outing with the boat - this was not due to the handbrake being put on, but just general ceasure. I've not yet found that the hammer has been of any help to release the damn things, but infact a very good hard push with a jcb loadall (if you have one available(!!)) releases them pretty efficiently (this may not do them any good though I must point out).
More seriously, once I have washed the boat/trailer down, I then reverse the length of the boatyard (about 100 metres), which puts the brakes on, but in this autoreverse thing - if I just reverse and stop for 2 weeks they will cease and are a pain to release...... however, if you reverse further than required, then drive slowly forward by a few metres, that tends to release the brakes completely and unless some numpty pulls on the handbrake, they will not stick when you leave the boat.
The cables on mine went last year - well, the cables managed to join themselves by corrosion to the entire axle unit..... I've since replaced the whole lot, and will now regularly remove them, oil and replace to keep everything running smoothly.

-Alex
Old 17 February 2005, 15:49   #5

Sounds like I may of cracked it, catching it before it goes wotsit up !
Regular greasing sounds good, .....any idea on torque for the nut and, anyone any bearing probs ?
Old 17 February 2005, 15:54   #6

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
..I have Alko "sealed for life" hubs on the trailer under me 'Umber.... they shouldn't be allowed on a boat traier that has the axles immersed for launching... when yer on Park'n launch, you don't have much say in the matter... air
Old 17 February 2005, 17:35   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Sounds like I may of cracked it, catching it before it goes wotsit up !
Regular greasing sounds good, .....any idea on torque for the nut and, anyone any bearing probs ?
Yep, broke the wrench, bent the T bar, then the 36mm socket shattered so gave up. Torque is something like 200 foot pounds, and a 6 foot scafolding pole didn't budge the nuts.

Gave up, sacked the axles and had De-graff fit normal axles with bearings I can take apart.

Pete
Old 17 February 2005, 19:52   #8

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Consider the merits of grease carefully, you may be better off dousing parts in a water excluding fluid WD40 or similar with teflon.

We have had Alkos' seize badly and have never found an ideal solution aside from confronting the symptoms. Its the seizing on that it the real bind especially if the boat is off the trailer or it happens and all the grease comes out. The usual relaese strategy is to smash the crap out of the backplate..this cannot be good!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2005, 08:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
Consider the merits of grease carefully, you may be better off dousing parts in a water excluding fluid WD40 or similar with teflon.

We have had Alkos' seize badly and have never found an ideal solution aside from confronting the symptoms. Its the seizing on that it the real bind especially if the boat is off the trailer or it happens and all the grease comes out. The usual relaese strategy is to smash the crap out of the backplate..this cannot be good!
I think grease, WD40 silicone spray and possibly K- Y gel might help !!........or forget the brakes !
On the brighter note, wd40 is only a release fluid and has no long term durability.......lets see how I get on at easter !!
Old 18 February 2005, 13:28   #10

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
seriously poorly specified

I have jsut bought a 1.5 season old bramber trailer with Alko brakes.

They are very poorly designed and ongoing service has not been even thought of.

My first real surprise was the way the wheel mounts to the hub. On every car I own or have owned the wheel vertical loading is transfered to the cebtre boss, on which the wheel mounts. On the Alko hub there is no boss just a flat surfaceand the wheel is bith held on and located simply by the 4 spindally wheel bolts.

The trailer is rated at 1350Kg all up, with the Humber on it (fuelled etc) then it is right on this number. with say 50kg on the tow ball that leaves a 650kg of static load per wheel. The suspension in the alko axle assembly seems non existant, so you imagine the shock loading on the wheel bolts each time you drag that left wheel over a recessed drain cover.

I now see why there are so many previous posts re - wheels falling off Alko Hubs.

To me having working brakes on the trailer is a life saving opportunity. I see from many posts that people just give up having working brakes....