Old 08 March 2008, 19:34   #1

Length: 5m +
Ali A Frame ?

I was thinking of having an A Frame made from Ali tube , and powder coat painting it , has anyone any experience of this. Has anyone any ideas wyh I should or shouldnt have it done in Ali tube? I wont be towing from it , just using for lights and aerials. Any comment or pics appreciated, thanks
Old 08 March 2008, 19:54   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Hmmm, no idea really, but I wonder would "bad things happen" where metals meet and lekkie gets grounded. I know it plays merry h*ll in Land Rovers - we're just out of the paint shop
Old 08 March 2008, 19:55   #3

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I would have thought the only thing to be carefull of is you use marine grade ali.Apart from that good idea.
Old 08 March 2008, 20:11   #4

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Thats how all the a frames are built here. You will have no real problems and the powder coating will last about five years with minimal wear and tear.
Old 08 March 2008, 20:50   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I had a very old one and it wasn't that substantial. It only broke on one of the four stanchions when I tried to push the boat off some mud. So although it didn't look as massive as a Stainless steel one it certainly proved to be strong.
Old 08 March 2008, 22:27   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
This one is Ali and un painted but made from a type of Ali that resists salt water corrosion.

Pete
Attached Images

Old 09 March 2008, 13:41   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
There may be some issues.

Guy at Polaris built my double=tube arch out of 6061, sized to be large enough that a diver could pass through from the transom without resorting to gymnastics. The tube itself is 2", about 1/4" wall.

What happened is that the span is large enough that the top oscillates while trailering (doesn't seem to happen on the water to much of a degree), and the rear legs, which are straight for a short distance before bolting to the transom, weakened and broke. I had a friend sleeve and weld them with aluminum, and they broke again above the sleeves.

Currently, I have the unsleeved portion built up with tape, and the resulting mess clamshelled with ABS pipe and hose clamps. In the past, oh, year or so, there have been no further issues, so no further action has been taken. A friend of mine who routinely follows me says the oscillations have been greatly reduced.

Make sure you use a good anti-corrosion treatment that is rated for aluminum on any stainless fastener touching the aluminum, and the use of nylon washers to isolate the bolt heads would probably be a good idea.

In my case, it's the largish span that causes the breakage issue; the resulting structure is harmonic to the road vibration. With the same tubing, and a normal size frame, you probably would not see anything like this.

jky
Old 09 March 2008, 14:37   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think all the quinquari commercial ribs have ali fittings. Just remember you need much larger tube diameters.
Old 09 March 2008, 14:43   #9

Thanks all for your advice, I know Ali and Stainless dont mix so what do you bolt or screw the frame to the boat with? Is it ok to use something like someone said a plastic washer between them or what else would be good?
Old 09 March 2008, 18:29   #10
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Our three Quinquari Humbers all have aluminium A frames and all three have broken at least once. We think it might in part be due to resonance vibrations, but the short, steep Clyde waves no doubt contribute as well.
Old 09 March 2008, 20:45   #11

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
this one is ally, if its as old as the boat its 8 years old and still ok, paint has lifted in some places and a bit corroded but still very strong, having said that, i have just stripped it down and has gone to Bristol Industrial coatings for a birthday,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	33371  
Old 10 March 2008, 09:23   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Matt, is that how you wash your hull ? tie it in a lock and chuck a bottle of fairy liquid in

There are a few in Port Solent that could do with the same trick.

Pete
Old 10 March 2008, 10:05   #13

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
I had an Osprey Viper with the factory standard double A-Frame made from Alloy tube not more than an inch OD and powder-coated in orange. It was well tricked out with plates for lights&aerials and cleats for warps. Whoever supplied these, mine was a craftsman's example or alloy forming and welding. I used it to tow a wakeboard and while it groaned a bit on tight turns it held up.
The boat was at least 10 years old and showed no signs of the sort of cracking typical of alloy under cyclical (repetitive) stress e.g. chop induced vibration. I know of at least one other Viper in a local dive club with big hours on it at about 14 years old and the same alloy A-frame and it's in great condition.

That lovely searider matt h appears to be simmering gently is sporting the standard Searider Alloy frame. Although you obviously wouldn't risk towing anything off it they do seem to last extremely well.

It's not just the thickness, design and surface finish of an alloy fabrication that decides durability. It's easy build it strong but if the boat can generate the wrong frequency vibration it'll crack it without any load attached. It can be sensitive enough that adding or removing a small amount of weight say a toplight might tip it either way. FYI I've also seen SS tube suffer vibration cracking too.

jyasaki has identified vibration as the source of grief - it might be worth adding some weight up top to see if you can change the frequency the vibration starts. Strap a diving weight on there - it'll only be worth trying though after you get the A-frame solid again. Lowering the Frame a few inches will change the frequency too -should require a higher speed but it could be induced by airflow and/or road vibration so no way to know if shortening it would allow lower or higher towing speeds. However even tying a strap forward to the bottle rack would help damp the vibes. Think of it as a tuning fork!
Old 10 March 2008, 12:22   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
My "new" boat has an ally (no idea what grade) frame and it appears to be original - I know it's at least 10 years old, but I suspect it came with the boat in about 1978...... It's a single arch made of 40mm OD / 4mm thick tube.

I would avoid powder coating like the plauge - it;s wonderful until the surface cracks somewhere, then the water gets in and the first you know of the corrosion is when it falls over! You have to bolt it on, and I'll lay money I know where the broken surface will start!
Old 10 March 2008, 20:32   #15
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
My Delta's got a black power coated A frame. It can flake off after a while though!!

Chris
Old 10 March 2008, 21:14   #16

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Powder coated epoxy, if properly preped and applied will never flake off.
http://www.hydralon.com/
These folks do and outstanding job and have been in the business for 40+ years. They are in Northam, Southampton. I must have purchased at least 1 million coated parts from them and never had a problem, all of them ali. They are really good.
Old 11 March 2008, 14:41   #17

Town: hoorn
Make: X craft
i am busy making a prototype seat for my new brand RIBs.
We make it of aluminium and then anodize it.
It looks very good and will be very saltwater resistant.
And it is not expensive.
The only problem is that there are not much companies that can anodize
big A-frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21022008(004).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	33401   Click image for larger version

Name:	X craft 8.8 RIB 1.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	33402  
Old 11 March 2008, 14:44   #18

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Powder coated epoxy, if properly preped and applied will never flake off.
And there lies the problem.......
Old 11 March 2008, 16:46   #19

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
The problem with aluminium (as well as stainless) is when you powdercoat or paint it etc, you are starving it of oxygen which prevents it from forming it's protective oxide layer. In effect the powdercoat is causing the corrosion rather than preventing it.

Its probably better to leave it bare and just gently wash it regularly. Granted it will go dull and grey (the oxide layer) but thats better than it turning into a pile of white dust!

This is only really true of proper marine grade aluminium mind you, generally anything in the 5000 series family ie 5052, 5083, 5086.
Old 11 March 2008, 16:54   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
The problem with aluminium (as well as stainless) is when you powdercoat or paint it etc, you are starving it of oxygen which prevents it from forming it's protective oxide layer. In effect the powdercoat is causing the corrosion rather than preventing it.

Its probably better to leave it bare and just gently wash it regularly. Granted it will go dull and grey (the oxide layer) but thats better than it turning into a pile of white dust!

This is only really true of proper marine grade aluminium mind you, generally anything in the 5000 series family ie 5052, 5083, 5086.
I am not sure I follow the logic of that. The Aluminium will already have an oxide layer before it is coated. If it gets scratched through the powdercoating and the oxide - that layer will then be exposed to air and oxidise (in the same way that an uncoated component would).