Old 21 June 2005, 16:45   #31
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Last weekend, out diving for abs: We were on the California North Coast, a little port on a river. The exit from the river is a little tricky; rocks on the left, and to the seaward; a couple of washrocks to the right. You exit the river mouth paralleling the beach to the right, then crank hard over to port out past a little rock island. On the way out for the morning dive, there was a boat loaded with crab traps (well, not exactly loaded, but they had about a dozen, I'd guess) just setting out. We head north to look for a calm enough spot to freedive, ended up back out along the edge of the river mouth cove. I put the other four guys in the water, and realize I didn't bring my gloves, so I sit topside and play babysitter for the divers. As I'm watching, the crab pot boat comes back into the cove, and proceeds to drop the dozen or so pots right in the channel to get back into the river. They then anchor up, also in the middle of the channel, and crack open beers. We had to sneak around all their pots, *and* their boat, to get back in.

OTOH, we also had people move on to other spots when we were diving, to keep from infringing on "our" spot (which, IMO, was completely unnecessary, but still appreciated.) So it works both ways, I guess.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2005, 10:38   #32
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
out of all this convo about bad attitudes out on the water i still think yotties are grumpy haha

hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2005, 19:01   #33
Town: Norfolk
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
This is what I think:

If someone gets angrey then your probably too close.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2005, 10:12   #34
Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Originally Posted by Tim M
This is what I think:

If someone gets angrey then your probably too close.
If someone gets angry then they should maybe consider another hobby!
Which part of "throw me the mooring line" didn't you understand!?
pettal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2005, 12:32   #35
Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by hannah
out of all this convo about bad attitudes out on the water i still think yotties are grumpy haha
I understand the stereotype which you're referring to Hannah, but i'm sure that when I clock off work at MVSC and head into Cowes in the evenings between the 1st and 5th August, then I certainly won't see many grumpy yotties!

Most yotties that i see are just normal people. As normal people, sometimes they have every reason for shouting at PB users and would be backed up by many experienced ribsters. Some of them are older, and more fragile, and so don't take to well to some muppet driving past them at full whack in a rib in a 6kt zone so that they fall over and break their hip, for instance! Bet you didn't think about that as you were racing back to the beach for a picnic! Some yotties do truly dislike PB users and can't be reasoned with, and we just need to leave it.

When dealing with other water users we have either the opportunity to be a really good advertisement for the RIB community by behaving sensitively, maturely, reasonably and politely, and just leaving it if we get shouted at, or alternatively we can all behave like little kids and shout back at them because we're right!
Matt Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2005, 12:36   #36
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I would have thought yachties would have been the most experienced sort of boaters and yet when i observe then entering the locks in Swansea many of them don't seem to have a clue.

No matter how busy it is they constantly seem to come inot the lock and moor about halfway along - this leaves a huge gap in front with everyone trying to squeeze in behind - I just dont know why the lock keeprs stand for it.

codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote

« New Redbays | Top | Torquay »