Old 21 January 2006, 15:57   #1

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Al-Ko sealed hubs....

.... on their Euro axles. The 1800KG 230mm Dia. drum model fitted by Bramber and others.

Now I am NOT saying you should do this... in fact I'm saying you shouldn't do this.. but if you have enough mechanical aptitude you may want to know the following. I've just bought and fitted at considerable expense a new set of bearings, because as they are sealed.. you can't inspect or service them, can you? Well... as my press is a bit fierce for the job of pressing the bearings in I took the newly blasted and painted drum/hub unit to my local No. 1 mechanic... who by chance also has a Bramber trailer with the same axles... so he starts laughing at me. Bearing in mind I left the old bearings in place when I had the drums blast cleaned to protect the bearing surface, they were pretty notchy by the time Nick got hold of them. He then proceeds to tell me that once you’ve taken the drum/hub off the stub axle you can easily press the bearing out and then... here's the interesting bit... you can split the inner race to regrease the bearing ! Doh ! The inner is in two halves and can be gently prised apart at the split..... Al-Ko also advises that the nut is a "one shot nut".. apparently, as it isn’t a deformable type nut, you can reuse it if you use a suitable strength liquid nut lock..... don't forget the bugger is torqued up to 290NM so a big torque wrench is in order......so and remember I’m not saying you can do this… but servicing the bearings shouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility should it?
Old 21 January 2006, 19:25   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
well that's good to know! I guess we have come to expect built in obsolescence as the norm!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2006, 17:38   #3

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
We have similar split inner race bearings, I'll certainly take a look next time we have ours apart. Previously we have removed these without to much trouble. Would the easing apart not pop the seals?
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote