Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 June 2018, 07:29   #1

Length: no boat
Advise needed - buying a new Rib

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some advise about buying a new Rib.

I'm looking to buy a 5.5m rib and have been looking at a couple of different boats. I wondered what people thought would be the most suitable.

I really want something that is obviously safe and stable but doesn't have to the fastest boat in the world. It's probably going to carry a maximum of 6 people but will be carry alot of kit.

I'm currently looking at -
Highfield Ocean Master 540 DL
Ballistic 5.5
Ribeye A550

In terms of engine, I was looking to power the boat with 100hp. All the boats above can take a 115hp, should I stretch to that?

Many thanks
Tom
Old 15 June 2018, 08:13   #2

Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
All decent ribs... but if you are going to do it I would put the ribcraft 585 at the top of the list. Slightly more room and best built imo
Old 15 June 2018, 08:16   #3

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...aculate/219960
Old 15 June 2018, 09:02   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
6 pax + kit will be cosy in any brand of 5.5m RIB. Are you looking at new or used?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:32   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyoud View Post
I really want something that is obviously safe and stable but doesn't have to the fastest boat in the world. It's probably going to carry a maximum of 6 people but will be carry alot of kit.

I'm currently looking at -
Highfield Ocean Master 540 DL
Ballistic 5.5
Ribeye A550

In terms of engine, I was looking to power the boat with 100hp. All the boats above can take a 115hp, should I stretch to that?

Any boat that size is going to be crowded with 6 people plus kit. You’ll be OK for short trips in good conditions but for anything more ambitious you’re likely to want more space.

Of the three boats you’ve listed I’d happily take the Ribeye, particularly if it’s a relatively recent boat. They are well made boats and there’s a strong second hand market for them.

I’d be less keen on the others as I’m less confident about the quality and resale values.

If you can stretch to the bigger engine then go for it. You’re unlikely to find yourself wishing you had less power
Old 15 June 2018, 10:03   #6

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a look into the Ribcraft too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
6 pax + kit will be cosy in any brand of 5.5m RIB. Are you looking at new or used?

Hi Pikey Dave, looking at buying new.
Generally it's going to only carry 2/4 people at most, but on the odd occasion where my parents my come along to make it 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Any boat that size is going to be crowded with 6 people plus kit. You’ll be OK for short trips in good conditions but for anything more ambitious you’re likely to want more space.

Of the three boats you’ve listed I’d happily take the Ribeye, particularly if it’s a relatively recent boat. They are well made boats and there’s a strong second hand market for them.

I’d be less keen on the others as I’m less confident about the quality and resale values.

If you can stretch to the bigger engine then go for it. You’re unlikely to find yourself wishing you had less power

Hi John,

Cool, I'll look into the build quality of the others. In terms of the engine I'll see if I can stretch to the bigger engine, I just don't want to find you can't get the boat on the plane
Old 15 June 2018, 10:17   #7

RIBase
If you're going down the new route, you might just get a manufacturer to shoehorn seating for 6 into a 5.5. The issue then, is when there are only 4 of you, the extra 2 seats have swallowed any available floor space. We have a RC 545 with 2 jockey seats and a storage box with an upholstered lid & that's it. You can just about move around comfortably with 4 onboard, 6 would be a squeeze.
Re. Power, for a heavily laden 5.5-6m boat, I'd be looking at 130-150hp to get any kind of performance. No-one ever complained that their boat was overpowered [emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 15 June 2018, 12:10   #8

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
As it happens - I am looking at a bigger boat and may be looking to sell mine.

It is a Zodiac Pro Open. 2009 boat but with new tubes and seat covers and overall boat cover. Valeted regularly and in general all round perfect nick. Kept on the Dry Stack in Southampton in the shed. If it sounds interested. PM me with your mobile and I will give you a call. I have just been chassing JBT and some other brokers this morning on it, so timing might work well. Jonathan
Old 15 June 2018, 15:52   #9

Town: Wootton Bridge
Boat name: N/A
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 70hp
MMSI: 235118695
I have a 2015 Ballistic 5.5 with a Yam F70. It is plated to 100hp.

It has a pair of jockey seats at the helm, a triple bench seat behind and a forward console seat that can take two at a push. There is a good amount of storage space on the boat. It can easily take 6 if you are just gently cruising around on calm water. Otherwise, for rougher seas and/or high speed driving, 4 is the max. Can normally get just up to 30knts with 3 on board plus 90 litres of fuel.
Old 15 June 2018, 16:23   #10

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Denis
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 100
I have a Ribeye A550 with Yamaha 100, bought new from Ribeye just over 2 years ago. Absolutely fantastic, lots of storage space and seating for 7. Really well made, handles well and is giving us loads of fun. Definately would recommend to others.
Old 15 June 2018, 17:49   #11
PUP

Town: Devon
Boat name: Camira
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha
MMSI: 235085732
A 100hp will be fine on something like an A550. On one of those exceptional days when you can cruise at WOT my Yam 100hp A600 will do 37/38 kts - a pal of mine with the same boat with a Yam 130 goes barely a knot faster (much to his irritation, so much he bought a 150!).

Thing is, how ofter do you need “performance” and is it worth the extra £1000s? Vanity? Buy yourself a 115/130/140/150 hp sticker - they’re a lot cheaper!
Old 15 June 2018, 19:29   #12

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
I have a new Ribeye A600 with Yamaha 130 which will do 40 knots flat out but boy does it burn fuel. A more powerful engine isn't about top speed its having the power to get there and having the torque which is very useful in a big following sea. Go for the biggest engine that the boat will take.

Interestingly my other RIB with the Yamaha V8 uses the same amount of fuel at 40 knots but the engine is just cruising along instead of screaming itself to death. The benefit of a bigger engine.
Old 15 June 2018, 19:29   #13

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
The power is not just about top speed of more importance is the ability to get on the plane quickly. I would class it as a safety issue
Tsm
Old 15 June 2018, 23:10   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
The power is not just about top speed of more importance is the ability to get on the plane quickly. I would class it as a safety issue
Tsm

Very true[emoji106] folk tend to think that power = speed, where in reality power is being able to run in a following Sea & be able to climb the back of the wave in front, or punch your way through a head sea. This is the reason I like to run on the slightly under propped side. Torque & grunt. This is even more relevant with today's 4 stroke engines that lack the low down poke of 2 strokes.
Old 16 June 2018, 08:14   #15

Thanks for the replies guys, very useful information. I think I'll have to see if I can set about sea trialling a few and see which I think fits the bill.

Re engines- Sutty said exactly what I was thinking...I just want the torque for the big seas.

What do you guys think about having an engine well? Usefully just a waste of space??
Old 16 June 2018, 08:23   #16

I assume you mean having an aux engine ?

I like to be self sufficient in any situation I can. I think it’s good to have an Aux. We have an aux mounted on the back of our rib and haven’t had to use it yet but it’s nice to know it’s there. It’s also important to make sure you have a separate fuel tank for it as normally dirty fuel is the number 1 reason for engines cutting out.

You just need to make sure the rib has a wider enough beam to mount an aux and get full lock on your main engine. A general rule is 1hp/meter for an aux.
Old 16 June 2018, 12:59   #17

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo View Post
All decent ribs...
No they're not.

I can only imagine that the OP has taken Facebook 'advice' to have arrived at such a shortlist.

The latest Ribeyes are OK. Don't be talked out of going for max design hp. As stated, it's not about the top speed, it's everything else which will be dulled.
Old 16 June 2018, 13:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
No they're not.
True dat.

Max the HP out too if you can.
Old 16 June 2018, 14:57   #19

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150