Old 07 April 2019, 09:19   #21

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Jeeze Poly, can you sort the forum volume? I was woken early by a horrible racket - initially thought it was thunder but it was just the Admiral there reviewing his fleet of Miniature Heros.

P.S. Keep those midgies good and hungry!
Another irrelevant attack from Willy who is obviously feeling sore..... Mind you I don't understand a word of it which is a pity given the amount of time he must have spent putting it together
Old 07 April 2019, 09:52   #22
RIBnet Supporter

I said "thunder" but TBH it was more like a loud booming noise. It wasn't attractive and it isn't growing on me
Old 07 April 2019, 10:46   #23

Quote:
I said "thunder" but TBH it was more like a loud booming noise. It wasn't attractive and it isn't growing on me
And for those of us in the English Speaking World ……...
Old 07 April 2019, 11:14   #24

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
The latest Grand Raids do not have inter-communicating inflation valves, at least my 2011 model didn't... C7s instead. Not sure if this has changed again after Milpro split away. The MKII went very well with a 30hp ETEC with 2 people, fuel and a lot of camping gear.
You're right, but I was talking about early boats. They really are workhorses. Granted with a 40hp or 50hp on the back its not going anywhere if high and dry on a beach.

Depends very much what the OP wants. I used to run a Zodiac MKII CGT with an aluminium floor and Yamaha 25hp (2-stroke). Lovely set up, perfect 2-up, plenty grunt and relatively robust. PVC seams went, so has to be hypalon in tropical climate. Still have the boat in the loft as I can bring myself to dispose of it. I repaired the seams, but I'm not convinced. There's still a market for the HD floors for people refurbishing boats.
Old 07 April 2019, 12:17   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
And for those of us in the English Speaking World ……...
Ironically, 88% of the UK population speak English as their mother tongue.
The figure in Ireland is 96%.
If you don't understand me, it will be because I'm having a bit of craic with you...

Old 07 April 2019, 17:11   #26

Quote:
Ironically, 88% of the UK population speak English as their mother tongue.
The figure in Ireland is 96%.
If you don't understand me, it will be because I'm having a bit of craic with you...

craic …. Is that some sort of cake.... I ask because the Irish think it is something special to them
Old 07 April 2019, 17:48   #27

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
No doubt a soft floor can take a knock Gurnard, but they also rip and tear, on our first outing in the big heavy Excel SIB we nearly came a cropper with a submerged metal spike poking up out of the murky tidal Trent. Close inshore work

I've been a boat owner for 38 years less than you and it took less than two years to hate the thing because of the weight. The RIB is a complete pleasure. Maybe I'd have a smaller SIB though and the Sevylor canoe is great. Should I have purchased a trailer for it? No. The thing would still flex and bend, would still have the prop cavitating air bubble forming under the hull at speed, would still bounce, skate and slap on the water, still be seated uncomfortably low down, still have the tiller steer with engine vibration, still get wet despite having a bow canopy, other stuff like sea temperature affecting the handling so having to top up pressure, etc etc.. So I'm a complete newbie. We have opposite experiences and I can't understand your reasoning why a RIB wouldn't work for you (or Jeff). You would do the same customizations but on a better base.

Came across the Ocean Runner by chance last year on holiday as our caravan neighbour had decided to upgrade after owning it from new for 6 years and he sold it me at a low dealer trade-in price. I couldn't lose money on it, just as well because the SIB cost me best part of £4K and I sold it losing a grand with just 20 hours on the engine.

We used the RIB for two weeks in September last year just before end of season. It does everything right. 27 knots, dry, comfortable, fast yet economical, I love the console and instruments. It performs well and is very balanced, you'd hate the jockey seat which makes it that way. You can grip it like riding a horse so a very secure feeling for my sea-fearing wife. Sadly I doubt we'll ever get the full use out of it but baby steps first and there's always hope (unless I go out on my own).

Ps. Was sarcastically referring to your f-rib 'mistake' which i believe is an excellent choice of craft.
Since you dragged me into this I will answer with, my set up suits me I don't need to justify it to anyone but what I will say is I go to exactly the same places I did with my 6 m rib and done the same as other ribs on the ERR in 2017 but with more excitement in half the sized boat with a third of the engine power.
Reading your second paragraph you made a bad choice for you maybe your research didn't flash up the pros and cons of a sib but what is evedent you didn't set up your rig properly which leads to the list as you describe. Your expearence on the Trent with the spike was an oversight on your part rivers, canals have been dumping grounds for years in 38 years you may have not learned as much as you think and at least an hard bottomed rib might go far enough to get you through.
You seem to throw the rib card in on threads stared by folk who are asking about Sib'S It might be worth thinking that your a converted ribber and have nothing to add as previously explained in your list of cons as in your list.

Tags
sib