Click Here to Login

Old 07 February 2011, 16:11   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
You rang?

OK, Small problem is that "twin 40s" could be anything from a couple of twin pot 1972 'rudes that will weigh as much as the contents of your fuel tank up to some 1990s built 3 pot Autolube Yam which wil lbe substantially heavier.

I'll keep it brief: for weight, just look around. your single 80/90 Hp replacement is about a 50/50 as to whether it's going to be heavier or lighter, then you may want to add an Aux, which inevitably tips the balance anyway. If you go 4- stroke, it s going to be heavier, although some of the really new ones are not too bad in the lard dept. Drag through the water again will depend on what's on there now. 40 is in the weird grey area between the smaller stuff & sharing it;s gearbox with something 50 Hp bigger, so you may already have 2 "fat" 'boxes dragging through the water, but then again, you may also have something quite small.

Other thing to remember is you'll need to cut a recess in the top of the transom unless you can find an XL shaft engine.

I'l lchuck this in as a curve ball. If you are thinking 4- stroke & your hull is rated for it, the Honda 50 4 stroke is about the same weight as a generic 50Hp 2- stroke...... From memory the new Yam 4-st are going the same way.... Would save a lot of transom surgery!

Do a search for posts by me on twins. I've given a few worked examples.
Old 07 February 2011, 16:48   #22

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
OK, Small problem is that "twin 40s" could be anything from a couple of twin pot 1972 'rudes that will weigh as much as the contents of your fuel tank up to some 1990s built 3 pot Autolube Yam which wil lbe substantially heavier.
I would guess that the OP's Mariner 40s are the 2 cylinder, Yam derived units from the early '90s, as previously used by the RNLI on D-class IRBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I'l lchuck this in as a curve ball. If you are thinking 4- stroke & your hull is rated for it, the Honda 50 4 stroke is about the same weight as a generic 50Hp 2- stroke...... From memory the new Yam 4-st are going the same way.... Would save a lot of transom surgery!
A pair of 4-stroke 50s won't come cheap. IIRC, the Hondas are around £5k apiece

Some nifty shopping could get you into a new F80 EFi Merc/Mariner for <£6k
Old 07 February 2011, 18:23   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I would guess that the OP's Mariner 40s are the 2 cylinder, Yam derived units from the early '90s, as previously used by the RNLI on D-class IRBs.

A pair of 4-stroke 50s won't come cheap. IIRC, the Hondas are around £5k apiece

Some nifty shopping could get you into a new F80 EFi Merc/Mariner for <£6k
T'new Yam F70 is about the only fourstroke that I actually vaguely like the look of
Old 07 February 2011, 19:38   #24

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
T'new Yam F70 is about the only fourstroke that I actually vaguely like the look of
£7400 though