Old 25 July 2009, 19:22   #1

Town: Gosport
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Advice sought for Gantry Design

Hi All

I am sure a similar thread to this has been run by others in the past. Here's my quest.

I am looking for someone in the Portsmouth (Fareham/Gosport) area who would be prepared to assist a local Lifeboat charity with the design of a console gantry.

The Gosport & Fareham Inshore Rescue Service (GAFIRS) is currently fitting out a Halmatic Pacific 30. We have what we feel is a workable concept for the gantry but would really like to discuss our plans with someone with suitable design experience.

On behalf of GAFIRS I would be really pleased to hear from anyone prepared to assist our Independent Lifeboat Service.

Thanks in anticipation

Mike A
GAFIRS
Old 25 July 2009, 20:09   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Do you mean what I would call an "a-frame" that goes over the console to mount lights, radar etc on, similar to the ones on the Hamble Pac 30s?
Old 25 July 2009, 22:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Do you mean what I would call an "a-frame" that goes over the console to mount lights, radar etc on, similar to the ones on the Hamble Pac 30s?
Yes Tim, difference is Hambles is permanently fixed to console, their navlights, radar etc are connected via plugs to console. It is our intention to have only a single hoop and no plugs on the console.

Because we rehouse each time we need to fold/pivot the gantry to reduce the height prior to housing the boat each time.

The overall height and weight is further increased by the Df aerial to be sited above the VHF aerials, radome etc.

I'd just like to run our design concept through someone "in the Know" to ensure we get it right first time !!
Old 25 July 2009, 23:05   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Rather than fold it how about something telescopic? You could have one tube sliding in another - just pull out the pins - lift it up - then insert the pins - a bit like some axle stands!!
Old 26 July 2009, 09:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Rather than fold it how about something telescopic? You could have one tube sliding in another - just pull out the pins - lift it up - then insert the pins - a bit like some axle stands!!
We are looking at a single hoop attached to a rotating disc. The inner disc will be fixed to the console and the outer disc will attach to the base of the gantry, a 40mm shaft will fix the two discs together.

Both discs, inner 30mm and outer 50mm will have machined segments to allow rotation from the vertical through approximately 50 degrees.

Now, the question is, do we allow the gantry to rotate forward into the bow or aft over the seat pods ???.

We want to ensure the locking mechanism absorbs the maximum stress and forces when heading into heavy seas and or when quick deccelleration occurs.

We have a difference of opinion as to how this is achieved, do we place the vertical mechanical stop for'd or aft of the gantries vertical tube.
Old 26 July 2009, 14:58   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Can you do a drawing? How heavy will the frame be and what will be mounted on it?