Old 24 April 2002, 10:02   #1

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Sold
Make: for
Length: 6m +
Engine: a
MMSI: baby!
Advice please!

Currently looking to buy my first RIB after 9 year of dreaming / research. Got my eye on a 6.5Mtr Ribcraft with a 165HP Mariner.

Think its around ten years old and in good condition. V good double axel trailer with it too. Any ideas (ball park) how much this is worth?

"Her in doors" seems to be giving aproval for it too!! so that is half the battle.

First posting on RIB.NET but consult it often. Great resource for info folks, much appreciated.

Anyone out there running this engine on a similar sized boat? Just wondering how much fuel it goes through per hour??? I am sitting down!

Nessy
Old 24 April 2002, 10:07   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi Nessy

I'll leave the advice to any of the very experienced members of RIBNET.

'Nessy' from Scotland? Anywhere near Inverness? I'm back up in Scotland in June and planning an exploring session.

Keith Hart
Old 24 April 2002, 10:15   #3

Kieth

You should be a detective! Got it in one. Noticed that you spend a lot of time in this part of the world! Currently looking out into the Moray Firth as I write this.

Do you do much on the west coast or is it mostly around the MF?

Nessy
Old 24 April 2002, 11:10   #4

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Funny you should mention that, I got someone convicted for murder of a baby just this week (life imprisonment) , but that's another story!

Anyway, looking out onto the Moray Firth....oops, I just went into a daydream. You may recall that my house in Scotland is at Hilton of Cadbol, also overlooking the MF. I take Quicksilver out into the Moray Firth, Cromarty Firth, Dornoch Firth (from Protmahomack). I also go over to the West Coast at Kylesku.

I'm up again for the last 2 weeks of June. The RIB you are looking at far outclasses 3.4m Quicksilver but we should meet up. You are VERY welcome to come out in mine at any time as I'm always in need of crew members.

Have you a boat of any type at the moment? I am gaining a good local knowledge of the inshore areas. Quite a few of the sites on www.boatlaunch.co.uk (fantastic site) for the Highlands were sent in by me.

Keith (thinking of dropping the Hart part of the signature) Hart
Old 24 April 2002, 17:36   #5

Kieth

Noticed that you are a SOCO just after my last reply! Keep up the good work.

Not too sure if I will be around when you are next up as I spend half my life away from home - some of my time looking at big RIBs which I hope I will never be on - work that one out!

Will need to check closer to the time. Thanks for the invite out on the "ship", may well take you up on that!

Nessy.
Old 24 April 2002, 21:16   #6
Ali

Town: Portree
Make: Panthercat
Length: 9m
Engine: Mercruiser Diesel
Anybody fancy a wee trip out of the west coast.
Boat should arrive next week. Unfortunately have to then go offshore but looking to meet up with Ribsters next time home around the 12th June.
Anybody for a Sunday cruise from Skye/Kyle/ Applecross etc.
I am the only person on the North West coast?
Old 25 April 2002, 10:08   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Ali.......

If you are around a week or so earlier there will be loads (15 at last count) of RIBs around the Hebrides on the BIBOA Islands in the Sun cruise. For example on the 5th we'll be overnighting in Stornoway and 6th at Kyle. BIBOA certainly has members in the North West of Scotland whom I'm sure would be delighted to meet up with other Ribsters!

Cheers,
Alan

Nessy........

Ribcrafts are good boats IMHO and a 10 yr old one looked after should be fine. Are you sure the engine is 165hp? Not sure whether Mariner have ever made one at that hp, maybe its 175?
Have experience of running a 150hp carburetted 2 stroke on a 6.5m RIB. Very thirsty I'm afraid - 10gph+ at full throttle, average around 6-8gph cruising. Always but always did £60-£80 of fuel on an average day out. Solution is buy a rib with a more fuel efficient engine or take lots of friends with you to share the cost!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 25 April 2002, 16:16   #8

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Nessy

As Alan has said the 6.5 Ribcraft is an excellent piece of kit.

As for the engine, that will be plenty of power - just a little thirsty - but if you arent planning to go to far, and the price is right - go for it.

There is a good 6.5 Ribcraft with a Honda 130 4 Stroke for sale on the Boats and Outboards web site - check the price of the one you are looking at agaist that as a good measure.
Old 26 April 2002, 05:24   #9

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Nessy,

After 9 years of dreaming/researching, it's time to make your dreams come true. Don't mess around with too many questions. The pleasure you'll get worths it. WE ALL LIVE ONCE so if YOU think she's ok, GO for it. Who said hobbies don't cost ?

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2002, 08:01   #10

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
I like your attitude Balfalcon.....you only live ONCE!