Old 16 July 2017, 10:18   #1

Town: Pembrokeshire
Length: no boat
Advice please

As I get older I am finding it more difficult to maintain and handle my existing (conventional) boat and am thinking of replacing her with a RIB. I am thinking 4-6 metres with a side mounted control console and not jockey seats. The new boat will be kept on a drying mooring in the summer and I am not interested in speed.
I am new to the forum and RIBs and would appreciate advice
Many thanks
RayTJ
Old 16 July 2017, 13:18   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Why no jockey seats RayTJ ?
They are the most common on ribs.
I assume you don't mean some form of suspension seat so a side-by-side seating arrangement?
Be warned (or advised I should say) they are not the best seating arrangement for a variety of reasons.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 17:52   #3

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayTJ View Post
As I get older I am finding it more difficult to maintain and handle my existing (conventional) boat and am thinking of replacing her with a RIB.
Hang on. When you say "and am thinking of replacing her with a RIB" do you mean "so I am thinking of replacing her with something easier to handle and maintain"? If so - are we sure a rib is easier...

Maintain - I dunno what you have currently but assuming GRP plus engine. a RIB you will have GRP plus engine plus tubes. Tubes like to get holes in them. so what are your current maintenance challenges? Tubes really don't like sun. They get some of that on drying moorings.

Handling - again what are your challenges? RIBs are more stable. But they drive better on the plane. You say you don't want speed. Lets be sure we are recommending the right boat for you...

Quote:
I am thinking 4-6 metres
Massive range. Tell us your expected use case - conditions, people, task. ALso tell us what you are towing with

Quote:
with a side mounted control console and not jockey seats.
Why?

Quote:
The new boat will be kept on a drying mooring in the summer and I am not interested in speed.
Antifouling?
Tubes don't really like antifouling?
Old 17 July 2017, 09:38   #4

Town: Pembrokeshire
Thanks for helpful responses. I currently have an Orkney 520 with 30hp outboard and use it for fishing and amateur lobster potting. Regrettably, this will be my last potting season and I will use the new boat for light fishing and 'trips round the bay' with grandchildren. I thought a clear hull would be better for this rather than jockey seats. Antifouling should not be a problem - my mooring is in a river estuary and I have had boats, without antifouling on it for 20 years without significant problems.
Although I believe I am an experienced boater I know very little about RIBS -looking around the RIBs here I thought 4-6 metres an appropriate size for proposed use (not a tender and not a monster, also cheaper to buy and run) Also , based on observations round here, they seem lighter and easier to handle out of the water
I would appreciate further advice
Many thanks
RayTJ
Old 17 July 2017, 11:27   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
funyak/pioneer poly boats?
Old 23 July 2017, 18:52   #6

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
TBH with your criteria I'd stick with the Orkney.

I currently have a 17' Dory with a 135hp Mercury V6. Very stable fishing boat.

Come the time I decide to go for something a bit more sedate - and a VASTLY smaller fuel bill - I will be looking at a 16' Treeve, Plymouth Pilot, Buccaneer or Cygnus with a diesel (probably Yanmar) inboard.
Old 23 July 2017, 21:04   #7

You say you want a clear space internally...

Sitting anyone on tubes is increasingly felt to be far from perfect. Sitting young kids on tubes is quite frankly a PITA... ...They like to lean out and touch the water. It would be VERY VERY easy for one to go in the water and if they do exceptionally easy to clip them with the prop.

Children these days seem far more disobedient than I was. So even kids who are generally well behaved seem to like to push to boundary more. Had a group of dinghy sailors out on Saturday (10 year olds). Put them ashore on the Jetty. They wanted to swim in first of all ("No") then when I put them on the jetty they wanted to jump off the jetty "No" - as soon as I had backed off the Jetty to go and retrieve the last sailor - off they jumped. Even when I came back in they were still jumping...
Old 23 July 2017, 23:19   #8

Town: Cardiff
Ray is this like your current boat?
Orkney 520 - Yamaha 30hp and Trailer Used Boat for Sale 2000 | TheYachtMarket

With a rib you loose shelter of the cabin/cuddy won't save much on fuel, will be able to go faster on similar motor but many 5m+ ribs are running much bigger motors 90+ and aren't great for fishing from limited tackle bait space and storage, easier to launch and tow but sounds like that isn't an issue for you if it's just in and out once a year. Don't want to put you off but doesn't sound like a rib is going to be much benefit.

What are the challenges with you current rig?
Old 24 July 2017, 09:40   #9

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Engine: 20 twatsu
If you need to go maintenance free then inflatable probably not the right way to go... One of the rotomoulded hdpe hulls that dont need painting or antifouling and can take the bettering of a drying mooring in their stride may be your best bet.. I will recommend the funyak range (I would, cos that's what I got!), but also check out the whaly, pioner, smartwave ranges.. Certainly seem to fit the brief. For easier maintenance, a two stroke may be a better choice, but a four stroke should need it less often... Any engine needs some TLC now and again, or you could go smaller and opt for a kayak!
Old 01 August 2017, 09:06   #10

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Ray, unlike many on here I like the bench seats on my Revenger, they have many advantages on a rib aimed at family use, yes I know when the going gets tough a jockey seat is better, but it's never stopped us enjoying days out when it's a tad lumpy. there are ribs out there with bench seats, don't dismiss them out of hand, I'd be starting off by looking at Ribeye's, great family boats, plenty of storage etc
Old 01 August 2017, 12:17   #11

Town: Liverpool
oops sorry about that! Nik
Old 29 August 2017, 02:07   #12

Town: Christchurch
Regarding jockey or bench seats, I think you will definitely find bench seating more comfortable until it gets lumpy, then jockey seats will give you far more support and if they are suspended they will also be more comfortable.

One thing I would say about the seats we produce is that there is a reasonably large and flat seat pad, so they are far more comfortable than traditional jockeys with no flat seat pad.

Hope that helps,
Dan.
Shark Seats is offline   Reply With Quote