Old 07 November 2013, 17:52   #61

Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcal View Post
You think I don't know the danger of surf? The trouble with forecasts is it's not exact, but it's the best thing we have next to mark 1 eyeball and other boaters reporting live conditions. I certainly would not go out in anything less than ideal conditions anyway. My biggest concern is the air temp on ther basis that ideal sea conditions this time of year means they will be very low.
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&MENU=0&TIME=0&MN=gfs&MODEL LTYP=uv10&MEER=grbr
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=133
I am concerned that the weather information you are looking at may not be correct - so I offer a couple of links for you to look at and consider. I believe you may see up to 30 kts plus next week in the period you are looking at. Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans. I have recently returned to the UK after ten yrs sailing close to 100k miles – so I can help you with some good weather advice if you need it. (As well as advice on some silly things I did in a boat up the Amazon). On the back of my sailing boat I keep a RIB on davits. This is an AB 11VST and it has a new 40 Yam 4 stroke on the back – it has a full console with seat. The boat is heavy with an internal s/s tank and is well prepared with a lot of safety gear –in particular it has a large auto – electric bilge pump. I took this boat from Weymouth to Poole and back this year and I would think carefully before I did it again. Large waves filled the boat on occasions (particularly off St Albans downwind) and the bilge pump took a long period to empty the water leaving the boat highly unstable in critical moments. I was very concerned I was pushing the boat too hard. The much longer trip you are suggesting at this time of year would be a challenge even in my Protector which is a much larger seaworthy boat.
The forum here is trying to offer you some guidance because you asked for it (if in a roundabout way). The nature of the “ribbing” you are receiving in the replies is because your proposed trip is potentially really quite hazardous (even in mild conditions). Not only to you but also to the people who may have to rescue you if it goes wrong. The advice you are getting is very sound. We all love an adventure and a challenge – but we should also be careful what we wish for and temper our intent if it will involve others.
Old 07 November 2013, 17:58   #62

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Some people won't take on board good advice, that's fine the sea is still one of the only places where we can do our own thing free from legislation. The problem occurred when a body is washed ashore from a "RIB" incident then we are all involved,we then have to justify to our loved ones that the sport that we all love is a safe and proper activity.No body is having a go at you just trying to offer sound local advice. Push the boundaries, test your own limits, but don't kill yourself through a over exuberance. Use the trailer
Old 07 November 2013, 18:12   #63

Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&MENU=0&TIME=0&MN=gfs&MODEL LTYP=uv10&MEER=grbr
I am concerned that the weather information you are looking at may not be correct - so I offer a couple of links for you to look at and consider. I believe you may see up to 30 kts plus next week in the period you are looking at. Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans. I have recently returned to the UK after ten yrs sailing close to 100k miles – so I can help you with some good weather advice if you need it. (As well as advice on some silly things I did in a boat up the Amazon). On the back of my sailing boat I keep a RIB on davits. This is an AB 11VST and it has a new 40 Yam 4 stroke on the back – it has a full console with seat. The boat is heavy with an internal s/s tank and is well prepared with a lot of safety gear –in particular it has a large auto – electric bilge pump. I took this boat from Weymouth to Poole and back this year and I would think carefully before I did it again. Large waves filled the boat on occasions (particularly off St Albans downwind) and the bilge pump took a long period to empty the water leaving the boat highly unstable in critical moments. I was very concerned I was pushing the boat too hard. The much longer trip you are suggesting at this time of year would be a challenge even in my Protector which is a much larger seaworthy boat.
The forum here is trying to offer you some guidance because you asked for it (if in a roundabout way). The nature of the “ribbing” you are receiving in the replies is because your proposed trip is potentially really quite hazardous (even in mild conditions). Not only to you but also to the people who may have to rescue you if it goes wrong. The advice you are getting is very sound. We all love an adventure and a challenge – but we should also be careful what we wish for and temper our intent if it will involve others.
The weather information I looked at was the best when it was forecast, but obviously it's a relativly long term forecast and is being ammended all the time. If it continues to deteriote I would not go. I am very familiar with St Albans head and the tide race. Also the race at Portland. Timing them both for slack water and keeping very close in means you can avoid them. I been around them both 10 times in a kayak with a dog sitting between my legs. Which is not to say I don't treat therm with respect. Anything less than perfect conditions I would not go. Forecast or not forecast.
Old 07 November 2013, 18:25   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
Some people won't take on board good advice, that's fine the sea is still one of the only places where we can do our own thing free from legislation. The problem occurred when a body is washed ashore from a "RIB" incident then we are all involved,we then have to justify to our loved ones that the sport that we all love is a safe and proper activity.No body is having a go at you just trying to offer sound local advice. Push the boundaries, test your own limits, but don't kill yourself through a over exuberance. Use the trailer
Oh please cut the dramtics. I could say the same for motor racing, powerboating, tt races and many other sports.
Old 07 November 2013, 18:35   #65

Quote:
"Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans"

Why were you going in those conditions? If you keep in close you can miss the race at St Albans. It's to the west on ebb tide and the East on the flood. Nothaving an engine on my Kayak, I pay particular attention to Tide times, wind speeds and directions and swell heights. I certainly would not go in wind against tide unless the wind speed was very low or I could get around at slack water.
Old 07 November 2013, 18:42   #66

Quote:
Sorry but I think a lifeboat would be able to cope with a 3ft swell, 25mph wind and a moderate sea without putting the crew or anyone else at risk. Having written that those would not be acceptable conditions for me to go out.
Less of the dramatics please.
Old 07 November 2013, 18:42   #67
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Oh please cut the dramtics. I could say the same for motor racing, powerboating, tt races and many other sports.
Let us know when you're planning to go motor racing, powerboat racing, on the tt races or any other sport like that so we can watch?

You're being told invaluable information by people with many many years more experience than yourself. Only Darwin award candidates would ignore it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 18:56   #68

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
SimCal,

Just out of interest, did you ever have anything to do with a commercial operation at Lulworth?

Thanks,
Hugh
Old 07 November 2013, 18:56   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Let us know when you're planning to go motor racing, powerboat racing, on the tt races or any other sport like that so we can watch?

You're being told invaluable information by people with many many years more experience than yourself. Only Darwin award candidates would ignore it.
Yeah right, the lifeboat will have to be launched, the crew will die trying to save me and a forecast on Frid for weymouth given to me as a link, shows a wind speed average of 12knts, which on the Beaufort wind force scale is a moderate breeze. Now IF i did in a 7knot offshore wind, with swell height of less than a ft
going round headlands at slack, I hardly think it will be a death sentence. If by any chance I had to be rescued, I 'm sure the lifeboat will cope.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:05   #70

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
So..let's leave any catiness behind?

There's several of us in and around Poole and Bournemouth. I used to wheel my 3m Avon to the slip at Christchurch...with an 8 hp two stoke and with kit in it for a day out it was quite hard...and that was on flat tarmac.

When it arrives with you and you're going out pm or post in the cruise section... happy to come out etc, take pics etc.

Where are you thinking of wheeling it to? As I'm sure you know the beach can have a good sized break....we had fun with a jet Avon coming on the beach during the airshow...fun= swamping it! And we didn't have to think about a prop sticking out!
Old 07 November 2013, 19:07   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
SimCal,

Just out of interest, did you ever have anything to do with a commercial operation at Lulworth?

Thanks,
Hugh
If you mean the Jurrasic kayak tours, then no. I kayak alone, as I believe it's safer. Having said that, I can self rescue, carry waterproof VHF, paddle float, Throw line. I also practise capzise drill in rough sea conditions by the RNLI lookouts on the beach in rough sea. My kayak is a Sit on top, not such good performance as a sit inside but much easier to self rescue. Go over in a sea kayak and miss the roll then you have problems.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:15   #72
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Sorry but I think a lifeboat would be able to cope with a 3ft swell, 25mph wind and a moderate sea without putting the crew or anyone else at risk. Having written that those would not be acceptable conditions for me to go out.
Less of the dramatics please.
There is inherent risk every time a lifeboat launches. It is generally low but even in 'innocuous' training exercises people have been seriously hurt. Similarly every time a helicopter takes off to go and look for someone in trouble. Add to that the inconvenience (and potential loss of earnings) for the volunteer Lifeboat and CG guys and you'd need to be pretty selfish to head out in a situation where you expected to need help. Anyone can find themself in trouble, but that is not the seem at running straight into it when everyone was waring you off.

Quote:
I certainly would not go in wind against tide unless the wind speed was very low or I could get around at slack water.
On such a long trip, in a 'new' boat and with a restricted daylight window you'd be doing incredibly well to also combine the hard parts of the journey with the best possible conditions. Good planning could deliver that - but given you have yet to gain the experience necessary to know what speed and fuel consumption is possible I can't see how you could plan a passage with the precision necessary to be sure to get the best conditions.

Quote:
Oh please cut the dramtics.
whilst that might be how many people talk to each other on the internet - I suggest you spend some time reading the threads in here and see what normal behaviour is. I like to think of RIBnet as being a little bit like a sailing club bar. Almost everyone is welcome, but as with any pub it makes sense to understand the ambiance, etiquette and social norms before barking at the inhabitants. Otherwise once you've upset the locals it can be a bit difficult to fit in and make yourself comfortable.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:16   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
So..let's leave any catiness behind?

There's several of us in and around Poole and Bournemouth. I used to wheel my 3m Avon to the slip at Christchurch...with an 8 hp two stoke and with kit in it for a day out it was quite hard...and that was on flat tarmac.

When it arrives with you and you're going out pm or post in the cruise section... happy to come out etc, take pics etc.

Where are you thinking of wheeling it to? As I'm sure you know the beach can have a good sized break....we had fun with a jet Avon coming on the beach during the airshow...fun= swamping it! And we didn't have to think about a prop sticking out!
I would use the slip at Christchurch if the surf was up. Bit wary of the run. Alright going in, it's the coming out with an ebb tide and not sure of the sandbank. Got caught out on my kayak there. Least with a rib I'll have an engine. Yes, get some nice weather and we could meet. I have some bodies I can call on to help me. I'll work something out before the season starts as to the best way to get it to the water.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:18   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There is inherent risk every time a lifeboat launches. It is generally low but even in 'innocuous' training exercises people have been seriously hurt. Similarly every time a helicopter takes off to go and look for someone in trouble. Add to that the inconvenience (and potential loss of earnings) for the volunteer Lifeboat and CG guys and you'd need to be pretty selfish to head out in a situation where you expected to need help. Anyone can find themself in trouble, but that is not the seem at running straight into it when everyone was waring you off.

On such a long trip, in a 'new' boat and with a restricted daylight window you'd be doing incredibly well to also combine the hard parts of the journey with the best possible conditions. Good planning could deliver that - but given you have yet to gain the experience necessary to know what speed and fuel consumption is possible I can't see how you could plan a passage with the precision necessary to be sure to get the best conditions.

whilst that might be how many people talk to each other on the internet - I suggest you spend some time reading the threads in here and see what normal behaviour is. I like to think of RIBnet as being a little bit like a sailing club bar. Almost everyone is welcome, but as with any pub it makes sense to understand the ambiance, etiquette and social norms before barking at the inhabitants. Otherwise once you've upset the locals it can be a bit difficult to fit in and make yourself comfortable.
There is an inherent risk in crossing the road!
Old 07 November 2013, 19:21   #75

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:

I would use the slip at Christchurch if the surf was up. Bit wary of the run. Alright going in, it's the coming out with an ebb tide and not sure of the sandbank. Got caught out on my kayak there. Least with a rib I'll have an engine. Yes, get some nice weather and we could meet. I have some bodies I can call on to help me. I'll work something out before the season starts as to the best way to get it to the water.
Ace. I'm hoping to be at xch Sunday. The runs ok and they seem to have the channel marked all year round now. So less guesswork!

Always good fun when it's in full flow!...at least it's easy to pull up the beach if it looks rough :-)
Old 07 November 2013, 19:22   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

whilst that might be how many people talk to each other on the internet - I suggest you spend some time reading the threads in here and see what normal behaviour is. I like to think of RIBnet as being a little bit like a sailing club bar. Beaufort wind force scale.
Get over yourself Admiral, it's not the RYA.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:29   #77
RIBnet Supporter

See what I meant when I said he was hard work?

*Missus willk! Get the kettle on and find me some o' dem daycint biccies!*
Old 07 November 2013, 19:32   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Ace. I'm hoping to be at xch Sunday. The runs ok and they seem to have the channel marked all year round now. So less guesswork!

Always good fun when it's in full flow!...at least it's easy to pull up the beach if it looks rough :-)
Let me know if you go and the time. Just checked the surf for Sun and I'll kayak around.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:49   #79
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Get over yourself Admiral, it's not the RYA.
You asked for advice, so here's some:

You are not here by any right or entitlement, you are here as a guest and the moderators are your hosts. They volunteer a substantial amount of their time to keep the forums running smoothly and deserve your respect. You don't have to agree with them, but if you behave unpleasantly towards them you will find that you are no longer welcome to take part here.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:55   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
You asked for advice, so here's some:

You are not here by any right or entitlement, you are here as a guest and the moderators are your hosts. They volunteer a substantial amount of their time to keep the forums running smoothly and deserve your respect. You don't have to agree with them, but if you behave unpleasantly towards them you will find that you are no longer welcome to take part here.
I give repect to those who earn it. I don't give respect to someone who by there position think they are entitled to it. As for me worrying about being banned, try this out, fill a bucket with water put vyourhand in and swish it about. See how much you can disturb the water. Now, take your hand out and see how long the water takes to settle. That is the same amount of time that I will worry.