Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 November 2013, 13:52   #61
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcal View Post
You think I don't know the danger of surf? The trouble with forecasts is it's not exact, but it's the best thing we have next to mark 1 eyeball and other boaters reporting live conditions. I certainly would not go out in anything less than ideal conditions anyway. My biggest concern is the air temp on ther basis that ideal sea conditions this time of year means they will be very low.
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&MENU=0&TIME=0&MN=gfs&MODEL LTYP=uv10&MEER=grbr
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=133
I am concerned that the weather information you are looking at may not be correct - so I offer a couple of links for you to look at and consider. I believe you may see up to 30 kts plus next week in the period you are looking at. Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans. I have recently returned to the UK after ten yrs sailing close to 100k miles – so I can help you with some good weather advice if you need it. (As well as advice on some silly things I did in a boat up the Amazon). On the back of my sailing boat I keep a RIB on davits. This is an AB 11VST and it has a new 40 Yam 4 stroke on the back – it has a full console with seat. The boat is heavy with an internal s/s tank and is well prepared with a lot of safety gear –in particular it has a large auto – electric bilge pump. I took this boat from Weymouth to Poole and back this year and I would think carefully before I did it again. Large waves filled the boat on occasions (particularly off St Albans downwind) and the bilge pump took a long period to empty the water leaving the boat highly unstable in critical moments. I was very concerned I was pushing the boat too hard. The much longer trip you are suggesting at this time of year would be a challenge even in my Protector which is a much larger seaworthy boat.
The forum here is trying to offer you some guidance because you asked for it (if in a roundabout way). The nature of the “ribbing” you are receiving in the replies is because your proposed trip is potentially really quite hazardous (even in mild conditions). Not only to you but also to the people who may have to rescue you if it goes wrong. The advice you are getting is very sound. We all love an adventure and a challenge – but we should also be careful what we wish for and temper our intent if it will involve others.
__________________

__________________
indaba1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 13:58   #62
Member
 
M.Thornton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 319
Some people won't take on board good advice, that's fine the sea is still one of the only places where we can do our own thing free from legislation. The problem occurred when a body is washed ashore from a "RIB" incident then we are all involved,we then have to justify to our loved ones that the sport that we all love is a safe and proper activity.No body is having a go at you just trying to offer sound local advice. Push the boundaries, test your own limits, but don't kill yourself through a over exuberance. Use the trailer
__________________

__________________
M.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 14:12   #63
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&MENU=0&TIME=0&MN=gfs&MODEL LTYP=uv10&MEER=grbr
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=133
I am concerned that the weather information you are looking at may not be correct - so I offer a couple of links for you to look at and consider. I believe you may see up to 30 kts plus next week in the period you are looking at. Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans. I have recently returned to the UK after ten yrs sailing close to 100k miles – so I can help you with some good weather advice if you need it. (As well as advice on some silly things I did in a boat up the Amazon). On the back of my sailing boat I keep a RIB on davits. This is an AB 11VST and it has a new 40 Yam 4 stroke on the back – it has a full console with seat. The boat is heavy with an internal s/s tank and is well prepared with a lot of safety gear –in particular it has a large auto – electric bilge pump. I took this boat from Weymouth to Poole and back this year and I would think carefully before I did it again. Large waves filled the boat on occasions (particularly off St Albans downwind) and the bilge pump took a long period to empty the water leaving the boat highly unstable in critical moments. I was very concerned I was pushing the boat too hard. The much longer trip you are suggesting at this time of year would be a challenge even in my Protector which is a much larger seaworthy boat.
The forum here is trying to offer you some guidance because you asked for it (if in a roundabout way). The nature of the “ribbing” you are receiving in the replies is because your proposed trip is potentially really quite hazardous (even in mild conditions). Not only to you but also to the people who may have to rescue you if it goes wrong. The advice you are getting is very sound. We all love an adventure and a challenge – but we should also be careful what we wish for and temper our intent if it will involve others.
The weather information I looked at was the best when it was forecast, but obviously it's a relativly long term forecast and is being ammended all the time. If it continues to deteriote I would not go. I am very familiar with St Albans head and the tide race. Also the race at Portland. Timing them both for slack water and keeping very close in means you can avoid them. I been around them both 10 times in a kayak with a dog sitting between my legs. Which is not to say I don't treat therm with respect. Anything less than perfect conditions I would not go. Forecast or not forecast.
__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 14:25   #64
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
Some people won't take on board good advice, that's fine the sea is still one of the only places where we can do our own thing free from legislation. The problem occurred when a body is washed ashore from a "RIB" incident then we are all involved,we then have to justify to our loved ones that the sport that we all love is a safe and proper activity.No body is having a go at you just trying to offer sound local advice. Push the boundaries, test your own limits, but don't kill yourself through a over exuberance. Use the trailer
Oh please cut the dramtics. I could say the same for motor racing, powerboating, tt races and many other sports.
__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 14:35   #65
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&MENU=0&TIME=0&MN=gfs&MODEL LTYP=uv10&MEER=grbr
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=133
I am concerned that the weather information you are looking at may not be correct - so I offer a couple of links for you to look at and consider. I believe you may see up to 30 kts plus next week in the period you are looking at. Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans. I have recently returned to the UK after ten yrs sailing close to 100k miles – so I can help you with some good weather advice if you need it. (As well as advice on some silly things I did in a boat up the Amazon). On the back of my sailing boat I keep a RIB on davits. This is an AB 11VST and it has a new 40 Yam 4 stroke on the back – it has a full console with seat. The boat is heavy with an internal s/s tank and is well prepared with a lot of safety gear –in particular it has a large auto – electric bilge pump. I took this boat from Weymouth to Poole and back this year and I would think carefully before I did it again. Large waves filled the boat on occasions (particularly off St Albans downwind) and the bilge pump took a long period to empty the water leaving the boat highly unstable in critical moments. I was very concerned I was pushing the boat too hard. The much longer trip you are suggesting at this time of year would be a challenge even in my Protector which is a much larger seaworthy boat.
The forum here is trying to offer you some guidance because you asked for it (if in a roundabout way). The nature of the “ribbing” you are receiving in the replies is because your proposed trip is potentially really quite hazardous (even in mild conditions). Not only to you but also to the people who may have to rescue you if it goes wrong. The advice you are getting is very sound. We all love an adventure and a challenge – but we should also be careful what we wish for and temper our intent if it will involve others.
"Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans"

Why were you going in those conditions? If you keep in close you can miss the race at St Albans. It's to the west on ebb tide and the East on the flood. Nothaving an engine on my Kayak, I pay particular attention to Tide times, wind speeds and directions and swell heights. I certainly would not go in wind against tide unless the wind speed was very low or I could get around at slack water.
__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 14:42   #66
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&MENU=0&TIME=0&MN=gfs&MODEL LTYP=uv10&MEER=grbr
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=133
I am concerned that the weather information you are looking at may not be correct - so I offer a couple of links for you to look at and consider. I believe you may see up to 30 kts plus next week in the period you are looking at. Put that with wind against tide the waves in the video are quite tame compared to what you might see off Portland and St Albans. I have recently returned to the UK after ten yrs sailing close to 100k miles – so I can help you with some good weather advice if you need it. (As well as advice on some silly things I did in a boat up the Amazon). On the back of my sailing boat I keep a RIB on davits. This is an AB 11VST and it has a new 40 Yam 4 stroke on the back – it has a full console with seat. The boat is heavy with an internal s/s tank and is well prepared with a lot of safety gear –in particular it has a large auto – electric bilge pump. I took this boat from Weymouth to Poole and back this year and I would think carefully before I did it again. Large waves filled the boat on occasions (particularly off St Albans downwind) and the bilge pump took a long period to empty the water leaving the boat highly unstable in critical moments. I was very concerned I was pushing the boat too hard. The much longer trip you are suggesting at this time of year would be a challenge even in my Protector which is a much larger seaworthy boat.
The forum here is trying to offer you some guidance because you asked for it (if in a roundabout way). The nature of the “ribbing” you are receiving in the replies is because your proposed trip is potentially really quite hazardous (even in mild conditions). Not only to you but also to the people who may have to rescue you if it goes wrong. The advice you are getting is very sound. We all love an adventure and a challenge – but we should also be careful what we wish for and temper our intent if it will involve others.
Sorry but I think a lifeboat would be able to cope with a 3ft swell, 25mph wind and a moderate sea without putting the crew or anyone else at risk. Having written that those would not be acceptable conditions for me to go out.
Less of the dramatics please.
__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 14:42   #67
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcal View Post
Oh please cut the dramtics. I could say the same for motor racing, powerboating, tt races and many other sports.
Let us know when you're planning to go motor racing, powerboat racing, on the tt races or any other sport like that so we can watch?


You're being told invaluable information by people with many many years more experience than yourself. Only Darwin award candidates would ignore it.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 14:56   #68
Member
 
HughN's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
SimCal,

Just out of interest, did you ever have anything to do with a commercial operation at Lulworth?

Thanks,
Hugh
__________________
"Can ye model it? For if ye can, ye understand it, and if ye canna, ye dinna!" - Lord kelvin
HughN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 14:56   #69
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Let us know when you're planning to go motor racing, powerboat racing, on the tt races or any other sport like that so we can watch?


You're being told invaluable information by people with many many years more experience than yourself. Only Darwin award candidates would ignore it.
Yeah right, the lifeboat will have to be launched, the crew will die trying to save me and a forecast on Frid for weymouth given to me as a link, shows a wind speed average of 12knts, which on the Beaufort wind force scale is a moderate breeze. Now IF i did in a 7knot offshore wind, with swell height of less than a ft
going round headlands at slack, I hardly think it will be a death sentence. If by any chance I had to be rescued, I 'm sure the lifeboat will cope.
__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 15:05   #70
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
So..let's leave any catiness behind?

There's several of us in and around Poole and Bournemouth. I used to wheel my 3m Avon to the slip at Christchurch...with an 8 hp two stoke and with kit in it for a day out it was quite hard...and that was on flat tarmac.

When it arrives with you and you're going out pm or post in the cruise section... happy to come out etc, take pics etc.

Where are you thinking of wheeling it to? As I'm sure you know the beach can have a good sized break....we had fun with a jet Avon coming on the beach during the airshow...fun= swamping it! And we didn't have to think about a prop sticking out!
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.