Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 November 2013, 17:26   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just remind me, it's not April 1st already is it?

PS Don't know which forecast you're looking at, but it ain't this one
No, it most certainly is not that one! There is a settled weather pattern forecast for Wen, Thur, and Fri of next week. However if it makes you feel clever to link to that forecast,then you are indeed a genius!
__________________

__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:27   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Ok. On the basis you'd bail out at a suitable point, are very very well equipped, have a 3.1 Avon that isn't really a tender....and as I say with the greatest respect you're not nuts.

I think you'd have to run a 9.9 fairly hard for ten hours...so I'd bank on using (for safety) at least 5 litres an hour...so that's 50 litres of petrol on the boat...

Which will take some planning and rigging and space. On the premise of having a 30% reserve....that's 65l on board.

You'd hit as you said the worst bits of water at the end when you're tired.....

All of which means it becomes a very iffy trip at the best of times.

When'd you plan to do it. ? (Just seen that.....).

Even in the best weather in the summer..seriously ...you hardly ever see small boats rounding those headlands. Conditions change in minutes as well....

In the nicest way..please don't do it. Sea kayaks are far more sea worthy than a3.1 Avon.
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:28   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
why
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:29   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcal View Post
No, it most certainly is not that one! There is a settled weather pattern forecast for Wen, Thur, and Fri of next week. However if it makes you feel clever to link to that forecast,then you are indeed a genius!
and you then must be a genius for trusting a weather forecast a week away? f
__________________
Starovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:29   #15
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Simcal - The answer to your question is that your engine will do a little better than 4 litres per hour at full throttle. My thirsty old 9.8hp 2 stroke will take my SIB 25Nm on nine litres of gas, basically going as fast as I can bear - about 10-14kts.

You are going to upset the members of this forum that you have just joined, because their collective experience suggests that this trip is unwise, given that the equipment is unproven and a RIB of that size is a bastard to row. I'd suggest that you at least listen to their advice.

As for the members, I suggest that if the guy wants to go, then he's going to go - maybe a nice coherent argument for why he should hold off a while would be useful...?
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:36   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Ok. On the basis you'd bail out at a suitable point, are very very well equipped, have a 3.1 Avon that isn't really a tender....and as I say with the greatest respect you're not nuts.

I think you'd have to run a 9.9 fairly hard for ten hours...so I'd bank on using (for safety) at least 5 litres an hour...so that's 50 litres of petrol on the boat...

Which will take some planning and rigging and space. On the premise of having a 30% reserve....that's 65l on board.

You'd hit as you said the worst bits of water at the end when you're tired.....

All of which means it becomes a very iffy trip at the best of times.

When'd you plan to do it. ?
Thanyou. At least I am getting an answer to the question rather than a lecture. I was told I was mad kayaking around Portland bill! It would be next week depending on the weather and sea state remaining as forecast. Wind offshore 12 to 15 mph, swell, 1 ft, and surf flat. However, I think for prudence I will break it down into legs on the basis I could not carry that much fuel. With a three day weather window I'm now thinking of 3 days. 35 miles per day.
__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:37   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,579
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcal View Post
No, it most certainly is not that one! There is a settled weather pattern forecast for Wen, Thur, and Fri of next week. However if it makes you feel clever to link to that forecast,then you are indeed a genius!
Ahh! I do apologise, I'll bow to your experience & mastery of the seas.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:41   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ahh! I do apologise, I'll bow to your experience & mastery of the seas.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on.
If I was claiming to be experienced and a master of the sea's I would hardly be seeking advice, now would I? Still, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and you are a master of that.
__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:46   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcal View Post
Thanyou. At least I am getting an answer to the question rather than a lecture. I was told I was mad kayaking around Portland bill! It would be next week depending on the weather and sea state remaining as forecast. Wind offshore 12 to 15 mph, swell, 1 ft, and surf flat. However, I think for prudence I will break it down into legs on the basis I could not carry that much fuel. With a three day weather window I'm now thinking of 3 days. 35 miles per day.
I think at this time of year unless it's a very gentle northerly it won't be anything like 1ft. That rib on the plane will slam off everything that even thinks it's a wave, it will be miserable and if you hit any of the headland with the tide flowing hard the standing waves will make it impossible and very very unsafe to even try to get round.

Maybe a month a go I took my 4m rib to Weymouth from Poole and back...I had company of a decent sized rib, plotter, 50hp with a steering wheel, two radios, back up gps and still ended up in thick fog listening to 2 mayday calls while doing 5 knots.

In summer with an established high pressure system over the UK, no wind and a week and bigger support boat I'd suggest it's still a challenge.

Next week I'd be staying at home.....
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 17:46   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bournemouth
Boat name: 3.1 rib
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard petrol 4str
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
and you then must be a genius for trusting a weather forecast a week away? f
I am not trusting a forecast a week away. Would you? However, you have to start planning at some point and if the weather does not pan out then you change plans. God I can't believe some of the crap being written on here.
__________________

__________________
simcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.