Old 22 August 2015, 18:46   #1

Town: Norwich
Boat name: That'll Do
Make: Honda honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2006 yamaha 6HP
Advice on where to launch on the Norfolk coast.

Hi all, I've just bought a 4.2 Zodiac on a snipe trailer, I'm wanting to go of Norfolk coast, but I'm stuck on where to launch, I have a RAV4 4x4 but soft sand is a problem, can any one advise where to launch, even if it's in a river near the coast.
Thanks in advance.
Old 22 August 2015, 21:38   #2

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Hi,
Morston or Blakeney is good
Old 23 August 2015, 08:36   #3

Hi, thanks for that, Morston, where abouts, I don't want to get there and not find where you mean with rib in tow. Is it in the river or go on the beach. I've only got a RAV4 new one, so it's a bit bigger than others. But it can't handle soft sand. Thanks again.
Old 23 August 2015, 08:48   #4

Just follow the signs for the seal trips and Morston. You will not have any problems launching all manner of craft launch there. Once there ask any with boats and I am sure they will help you.
When are you going?
Old 23 August 2015, 08:54   #5

I was thinking of given it a few hours today, gonna do a bit of fishing, not sure how far I dare go out, rib says 5 miles, I think not. Lol.
Old 23 August 2015, 20:31   #6

Hi,

Did you make it to Morston?
Old 23 August 2015, 21:00   #7

I wish, I went to go, but 2 of the 3 cells were soft, pumped up again and it's leaking at the valves, even when caps are in place, got to sort that first. It's the ones that are reassessed. Think I need new caps.
Old 23 August 2015, 21:13   #8

Sorry to hear that, might see you on the water next weekend.
Old 29 January 2016, 22:37   #9

Town: Norfolk & East Coast
Make: Excedo
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70
How's this for a late reply..?

Did you find a place to launch? I have a 4.5m and am keen to launch onto the sea locally to me (near Stalham). Looks like Lowestoft might be the best bet, but a not of a hike.
Old 30 January 2016, 10:41   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Hi Uncle Nobby. I'm based very near you (I have a unit in Stalham in fact). In terms of where's good around here (from top to bottom):

-Morston is good for a blat on a windy day - theres no speed limit in the outer part of the harbour and its normally pretty sheltered. Good for for a picnic on the point in the summer or a trip to see the seals. The slip is basically a mud slope behind the National Trust hut (google for the postcode). It's good for most types of car - I used to launch a 4m with a Fiat Punto when I first learnt to drive. Only got stuck a couple of times ;-)

-Sea Palling is good in the summer. For a few quid they launch you with their tractor (google beach rock leisure). The launching spot is sheltered by the artificial reef.

-Next place down the coast is Yarmouth. There's a few options, easiest one is on the South side of the river before you get to the lifeboat station. There's a good solid concrete slip there (it's behind a gate that's never locked).

-Lowestoft has two good options: the yacht club which is 2 mins from the sea, or I prefer launching at Oulton Broad (free slip) (google pets corner Oulton Broad, the slip is in the carpark behind this). You have to go through the lock (small charge) into Lake Loathing and then into the harbour. Adds an hour or so to your trip but its very pleasant, the slip is great and gives the engine a good fresh water flush on the way back! Worth ringing the lock before hand to check you can go through as depending not he tide they have to close the road and open the bridge to let you through.

-Last one is Southwold. Good concrete slip next to the harbour masters office (gets a bit muddy). Again small charge but a good pontoon next to the slip, usual harbour facilities and of course a couple of good pubs nearby.

Hope that's of use!
Old 30 January 2016, 14:26   #11

Hi Tim

Thanks for the details - really useful.
Morston sounds good, as does Burnham Overy Staithe and Brancaster Staithe.

Beach Rock say on their website that there is no tractor/ driver for 2016 yet. This would be ideal as it's really close by. Took the dog for a walk just north of Yarmouth last weekend. It looked so inviting - sunny, sparkling, flat as a pancake. Just asking for a rib to carve through it...

Coincidentally, I went for a jolly today to Yarmouth and Lowestoft for a sniff around some slips (future planning!)

Anglia Boatyard opposite Yarmouth Yacht Station on the Lower Bure - closed, but I have his phone number and will call next week. I have been on a rib launched from here once before and although fine, it's really muddy. Fine this morning on a spring high - all mud covered.

There is a slip near the RNLI, fairly wide, concrete and open access. I'm not sure how far it goes as it was high tide, but looked like plenty of seaweed. I will have another look on a lower tide. I didn't see one behind a gate, but then I wasn't looking for it! I am back there on Wednesday so will have another look.

The one at Oulton Broad, on the corner by the Yacht Station is pretty uneven. The Harbourmaster suggested a couple around the corner in Nicholas Everitt Park which seem in good condition and right by a large car park which looked ideal for trailers. Oulton Broad Water Sports Centre. We've been through the lock a few times on our bigger boat and stayed at RNSYC as a base - very welcoming. I'll see if i can find one the other side of the lock in Lake Lothing to save waiting for the lock.

Not tried Southwold - been past a few times at sea, but never up the Blythe. It's on the to-do list.

Where do you normally go from?

Robin
Old 30 January 2016, 22:28   #12

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Advice on where to launch on the Norfolk coast.

I've launched Brancaster and Burnham before and go there regularly, both relatively hassle free, only trouble is the tide window which is +/- 2hrs of high tide.

I think Morsten is a bit more forgiving on the tide windows as is Blakeney, the seal boats seem to manage getting out during a wider window than +/- 2 hrs.
Old 30 January 2016, 22:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
I've launched Brancaster and Burnham before and go there regularly, both relatively hassle free, only trouble is the tide window which is +/- 2hrs of high tide.

I think Morsten is a bit more forgiving on the tide windows as is Blakeney, the seal boats seem to manage getting out during a wider window than +/- 2 hrs.
I agree, I think the seal boats have wheels on the bottom the length of time they run per tide
Old 06 February 2016, 07:39   #14

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Nobby View Post

Anglia Boatyard opposite Yarmouth Yacht Station on the Lower Bure - closed, but I have his phone number and will call next week. I have been on a rib launched from here once before and although fine, it's really muddy. Fine this morning on a spring high - all mud covered.
I think I know where you mean, is that just off the roundabout at the top of the hill just by Asda? I've been down there before - reasonable looking slip. I wonder what he charges. I should follow that us as its only about 15 mins from where I live. Would make a nice run down to Southwold or up the coast. Also good for Breydon Water - no speed limit!
Old 06 February 2016, 11:05   #15

I spoke to John Shearing 07554 635886 or 01493 369214 at Anglian during the week. He is not on site all the time. If he is there, launch, retrieve and parking is £10 for the day. A year's key rental is £130 and this includes unlimited access and use of the slip. Certainly one for high tide as it is very muddy.