Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 25 February 2011, 07:46   #1

Length: 5m +
Advice on this HUMBER Destroyer 5.8m

http://inflatables.apolloduck.com/fe...html?id=186426

WHat do you guys think, newbie to the forum, so thought why not start with a question. Im taken with this boat, i expect to use it to travel to and from the isle of man form the co.down coast. What do you think of its valve for money and sea worthiness. Its about a 30mile trip to and back again.

Thanks
Old 25 February 2011, 08:00   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamsada View Post
http://inflatables.apolloduck.com/fe...html?id=186426

WHat do you guys think, newbie to the forum, so thought why not start with a question. Im taken with this boat, i expect to use it to travel to and from the isle of man form the co.down coast. What do you think of its valve for money and sea worthiness. Its about a 30mile trip to and back again.

Thanks
The boat will make the trip fine in most sensible weathers (e.g. BruceB has used his similar sized Humber to travel from the mainland to the IoM). Depending on your experience/skill* and how much you want to have the weather forecast dictate your plans it is a relatively small boat for that sort of journey on a regular basis on your own though...

* I've seen Bruce handle his boat in some nasty conditions and he knows what he is doing. In good weather this trip is fine for "beginners" but if a F5 with 3m+ waves you'd want a confident and capable skipper. On top of which fog is not unheard of in that part of the world - and with shipping lanes around you'd want to make sure you had the experience (and ideally AIS or other electronics to help you) to deal with that (and personally I'd want another experienced person on board who could read chartplotter / ais etc - if I was doing lots of miles in fog...
Old 25 February 2011, 16:06   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
On top of which fog is not unheard of in that part of the world - and with shipping lanes around you'd want to make sure you had the experience (and ideally AIS or other electronics to help you)
Yeah, lotta fog - this was us last year:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I was glad of the plotters and donegaldan on lookout. At one point the fog was very thick and I suddenly smelt fish - I instantly thought "Trawlers!" but it transpired that dd had been at the fish suppers again...

That Humber looks nice and is well capable of the trip. The carefully maintained 6.5m Redbay with twin 90's in the clip is for sale too