Old 08 January 2019, 07:40   #1

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150
Advice on storage/launch on the east coast

The boat's currently on the south coast but it's time to try a new venue. I'm looking for somewhere to store and launch between Grimsby and Kings Lynn. I don't know this coast at all so please: any advice will be much appreciated.

Do you have any recommendations/ advice?
Old 14 January 2019, 19:08   #2

Town: Lincoln
Boat name: Logan Charles
Make: SR5.4 &AvonTyphoon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75, Merc 25
MMSI: pm me..
East coast

Hi Adam & Hayley.
I launch on the fosdyke river Welland. ( near Spalding on A17. 7 miles of tidal river and straight out on the Wash. Have a look on Google earth.
I would gladly show you the way around.
Old 14 January 2019, 19:10   #3

Fosdyke Haven is the name of the boatyard there.
Possible to store the boat there and there is tidal river mooring pontoons
Old 15 January 2019, 20:34   #4

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Engine: Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam and Hayley View Post
The boat's currently on the south coast but it's time to try a new venue. I'm looking for somewhere to store and launch between Grimsby and Kings Lynn. I don't know this coast at all so please: any advice will be much appreciated.

Do you have any recommendations/ advice?
Hi Adam and Hayley

You could join Humber Mouth Yacht Club which would give you access to the mouth of the Humber.
If you are interested PM me for more details.

There are three slips in Cleethorpes but you would need to see the beach safety team for details and a key for the barriers.
Old 15 January 2019, 21:43   #5

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Pardon my ignorance but how good an area is the East Coast - Humber to Gt Yarmouth for cruising?

Interest of coastline, accessible harbours etc?

I'm sure there some very challenging conditions / tides, but is it a interesting area to explore?

Just an area I don't know at all.
Old 15 January 2019, 21:53   #6

The Wash is interesting, I launch from fosdyke, river Welland. 7 mile sprint to the Wash, there is no bar to cross, so if the weather does turn nasty, it's easier getting to safe haven. Low water gives a few channels to explore, with 'Long sand' giving a decent natural wind break. During the summer it's nice to have a full day out and beach onto your own island for a couple hours at low water. A good chart will soon show you your way.
Old 15 January 2019, 22:02   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Pardon my ignorance but how good an area is the East Coast - Humber to Gt Yarmouth for cruising?

I'm sure there some very challenging conditions / tides, but is it a interesting area to explore?

That's the reason you've not heard too much...compared with most parts of this Great Islands coastline its defiantly not a "Destination" Cruising area.

If it were me ....I'd explore what it does have to offer...pick up what local info and pointers you can ...and save mooring/stacking/storage fees keep it on a good trailer and plan some slightly longer Road trips...there are some great areas of Coastline and other stuff well worth the effort and time...or move house

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 17:22   #8

It is a good day out in decent weather.
It's always fairly quiet, so you need to be competent and self reliant as much as practical (as well as having good vhf/plb,etc).
I launch at Fosdyke, there is big isolated sandbanks where you can get close up and watch seals ( lots of them), there is Brancaster, Wells harbour, Blakeney harbour to access. Wells and Morston have Slipway, but it's all about judging high tides.
Quite easy to log 100nm in a day in good seas.
There is the option of beaching on sheltered sandbanks at low tide but it pays dividend for local knowledge and closely watching the weather. That gives chance of having BBQ picnics etc on your own island away from anyone else. For me, that's the beauty of North Norfolk coast and the Wash
Old 17 January 2019, 15:39   #9

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

Largely flat coastline. Almost exclusively sand/mud beaches. Harbours few and far between (Grimsby, The Wash ports, Wells, Yarmouth. That's about it!).
If you like windfarms then it's probably quite interesting but there's very little in the way of natural spectacle.
Old 17 January 2019, 16:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren moom View Post
Hi Adam & Hayley.
I launch on the fosdyke river Welland. ( near Spalding on A17. 7 miles of tidal river and straight out on the Wash. Have a look on Google earth.
I would gladly show you the way around.
Do you use the slip on the South side of the A17?
Old 17 January 2019, 21:57   #11

Yes, inland side of the bridge
Old 02 February 2019, 19:23   #12

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Honda 150
Thanks for all of your replies. I went to Skegness today and that looked quite hopeful but Fosdyke is a lot closer for us. Can you launch at any state of the tide Darren? When I looked for reviews on Fosdyke there were some mentions of ferocious currents when launching?
Old 02 February 2019, 21:01   #13

Hi Adam and Hayley.
It's easiest if you can plan your days on 2 hours max either side of high water on Spring tides, during summer months that roughly works fortnightly.
I have found it best to launch and retrieve about half an hour before high water as the current has eased off and the incoming tide will just gently push your rib into the cut and out of the flow. If you try on a falling tide, the current pulls you sideways into the main river, rocks and a partially submerged cradle pontoon giving you a whole world of shit! I'm more than happy to help you or show you with my rib when we get lighter and warmer days.
In the summer, I normally plan to be out for the full 12 hours or just launch and retrieve just before high water and tie up on the Easterly side of the bridge on the fosdyke haven pontoons. ( having sought permission and offering a couple £)
Once afloat, the Welland is navigable on all but low springs tide out to the Wash.
Low springs gives 1m or less of water all the way (7 miles) out to just beyond Tabs Head, ( waypoint signifying split of River Welland to Spalding and River Haven to Boston.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:03   #14

P.s. launch and retrieve of a rib is possible 2 hours either side of high water springs..but it's hard work, and if things start to go wrong, it only gets worse.
Just before high water is a lot safer!
Old 04 February 2019, 07:44   #15

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Advice on storage/launch on the east coast

I grew up boating on the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts. It’s probably fun for a few outings but gets a bit dull after a while! Harbours of note: Wells - good facilities, very olde worlde (also very tidal). Moving South next Harbour is Blakney, again very tidal and very nice. You can anchor off the spit and sit there for a picnic. Lots of seals to see which is nice. Next is Yarmouth. Big commercial harbour, bit grotty. There’s a good slip (all states of the tide) at Anglia Boatyard so a good spot to launch from. At the top of Breydon water (part of the Norfolk Broads but no speed limit) you’ve got the Waveney river center which has facilities and somewhere to eat). Next is Lowestoft. Bit less commercial than Yarmouth. If launching you have several options - steep but decent slipway at RNSYC (good facilities and resturant) or launch at Oulton Broad and go through the lock into the tidal harbour. Next is Southwold - usually my destination of choice. Nice pubs, access at all states of the tide. Beyond that you have the Orwell and the Deben but I’ve little explored that far South. Wherever you end up going make sure you have decent up to date charts ideally on your plotter, and a reliable depth sounder as it’s a very challenging area with lots of sand bars and banks which are constantly on the move.
Old 04 February 2019, 13:11   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam and Hayley View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. I went to Skegness today and that looked quite hopeful but Fosdyke is a lot closer for us. Can you launch at any state of the tide Darren? When I looked for reviews on Fosdyke there were some mentions of ferocious currents when launching?
As Darren has already said, it's quite limited as to when you can use the slip. The tide does rip through there on a spring ebb.
There is a boat lift facility at Fosdyke Yacht Haven but it's quite pricey if you're just going for a day out! That's also limited to a couple of hours either side of HW, but you're not battling the current! David at Fosdyke is a very approachable fella and he can usually find space for a RIB on the pontoons if you can't recarrriage the boat.
Old 04 February 2019, 16:40   #17

Thanks for relaying this Tim!
Good info!