Old 15 June 2004, 16:57   #1

Town: Oxford
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: n/a
Advice on RibEye and RibTech

Hello.

Have been offered either of a couple of 6.5 M from stock by dealer. Expect to use the boats off S Wales Coast and possibly off N Yorks Coast as holiday fun. Likely to be based Saundersfoot in front of friend's house.

Can anyone tell me whether I should consider either of the RibEye or RibTech for family trips and exploration. This is the first venture into power.

Steve
Old 15 June 2004, 17:50   #2

Town: Port Solent
Boat name: Wild Thing
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 Vtec
MMSI: 235016672
Have owned a Ribtec 6.55 for 3 plus years, fantastic hull, found it very safe in windy conditions. The RIBTEC 6.55 is the basic hull for the Camel Trophy boats which saw open water between Fiji and Tonga, some 1000 miles. I am told it is not the fastest hull but it is very safe. We get between 36-39 knots with two up and 150 ltrs fuel on board. Ours is fitted with a Honda 130 4 stroke. We are thinking of upgrading to the 150 Vtec Honda.

Ribeye, I know nothing about, but would not be my first choice. The MD of Ribtec sold out to Ribeye but kept a 49% share of the new company. I understand Ribtec only now make one offs.

Richard
Old 15 June 2004, 19:05   #3

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonstie

Ribeye, I know nothing about, but would not be my first choice. The MD of Ribtec sold out to Ribeye but kept a 49% share of the new company. I understand Ribtec only now make one offs.

Richard
Ribtec and Ribeye are now one compsny? So how are the two products differentiated? Is Ribtec the serious and Ribeye the leiasure part?

Bruce
Old 15 June 2004, 19:21   #4

Town: Oxford
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: n/a
Why the negative on ribeye?
Old 15 June 2004, 19:54   #5

Town: Port Solent
Boat name: Wild Thing
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Honda 150 Vtec
MMSI: 235016672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard
Why the negative on ribeye?

Said I knew very little about Ribeye, 3/4 years ago Ribtec were highly recommended and I have had nothing but pleasure from the rib.

Get some comments from a ribeye owner for the true picture on their product.
Old 15 June 2004, 20:04   #6

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
The older Ribtec hulls made before the move of manufacture to South Africa are excellent. I have a 585, i know people with 655, and ask Alan about The Jolly Sailor, its done a few miles!!!! However since the move their reputation has taken a hit, but that may be a consumer confidence thing as much as anything else. Your best bet ... apart from doing what you have and asking people on here is to go and see the boats and go out in them, in more challanging conditions. If you enjoy the boat and get excited by it, then you are half to way to making your decision.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2004, 20:12   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
If you enjoy the boat and get excited by it, then you are half to way to making your decision.
Yes, good comment.

As Andy says, there were wide reports of poor quality from the first SA produced Ribeye boats. However, some recent buyers like timw on this forum have been well pleased with theirs.

I'm told that the owner of the the company (first name Charles, second name escapes me) is one of the nicest guys in the business and totally trustworthy.

My only reservation about the Ribeye is that I've never known anyone use one for long distance cruising. I think that they used to source hulls from different GRP fabrication companies before the merger so different size or age of boats would handle in different ways (I stand to be corrected on this - just from rumours!)
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2004, 21:04   #8
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Hi Steve,
I have the Ribtec 655 and can highly recommend it to you. I have had it in a Force 9 and it lapped it up, as said before it’s the same hull that was used in the last Camel trophy. Mine is a few years old now and was made before the change to the current set up. I do not understand why the hull is not still being pushed as it is a very very good one.
I have been on a few Ribeye ribs and I do not rate them that much, that is not that they are bad, but just for a different market than what I use mine for.

My details are on my website below if you want to see some more pics.

So for me I would go for the Ribtec, wonder why
Regards
Stuart
Old 15 June 2004, 22:11   #9

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Craka Daux
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via MSN to nick wood
Same here had my bibtec for 3 years now done about 2000 miles in her she is a old one now (1994) but still a brilliant hull, around the channel islands you can choose the weather you go out in but not wat you come back in, we have been through some monster seas but she coped well, i agree about the hull never been pushed to its full iv got twin 90hp mariners and push her at 40 knots but im sure she could go better. go for ribtec any day.
Old 16 June 2004, 07:35   #10

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Steve,

I have a Ribeye 7.5 and have had it over year. As RichardB pointed out I am really pleased with it. Have used it in the quite rough off South Coast...now have it on the Thames for a bit. Nothings gone wrong, quality is high, and has performed well in all the conditions that I have encountered.
Ribeye in Dartmouth are very helpful and enthusiastic, I recommend speaking to John Wood who will give you good advice.

I would say however, that they might appeal more to family type cruising although it is a pretty tough RIB.

I know someone on this forum has a Ribeye 6.5m but can't remember their name.
Old 16 June 2004, 07:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw
I know someone on this forum has a Ribeye 6.5m but can't remember their name.
Are you thinking of Peter Smith? Look at this thread: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4773
Old 16 June 2004, 07:46   #12

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
It is best not to confuse the two companies just because they are owned by the same person. The RIBEYE range of boats are built for a specific market and price. Based on the very old Peter Kidd designed hull it is good for what it intened use is which is inshore cruising and as it's marketing name indicats"Playtime"
The Ribtec hull is designed bt Alister Cammeron and is proberbly the best in the world. True the two boats are built in SA and there have been problems but Tim Wilks who stillowns a part of Ribtec has grasped the bull by the horns and has sorted out his part of the problem to the point that I am happy with what he is telling me and have just ordered a 585 hull for me to fit out a a plaything for next year. there is no way I would buy anything that was crap!
Alan P
Old 16 June 2004, 08:44   #13
Jon

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m
Engine: Yamaha 60
Ribeye

Bought my first rib this year having done rag and stick for a number of years. I got a Ribeye 5m "Playtime" - yes, the name did put me off but I know the guy who owned it and what he had done so it seemed to be good compromise for the family. He used the boat around the coast in the Salcombe - Dartmouth area and I think he now sometimes races on a Banana Shark (?)

Having used the Ribeye nearly every weekend since March I have to say that I'm very pleased. I took it out for the Transat start with some confirmed sailing guys and it was a decent blow - reports say 3.5m + sea running - had a great day and never felt exposed. Boat handled everything very well but then I didn't chase the Tri's more than a mile or so after the start.

For coastal cruising around Plymouth it's been great for us but I understand that it probably isn't the boat to go crossing the channel in. That'll have to wait until I've sold the sailing boat and can buy something bigger!
Old 16 June 2004, 09:45   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I don't know a great deal about boats history, but I do know kwality construction when I see it. People when they are selling a secondhand Ribeye tend to go to great lengths to point out that it was made in Britain as the Kwality was so much higher. The Ribeye marketing effort is however impressive.

I personally wouldn't buy either...I think Ribeyes are low quality and the Ribtecs are overpriced and the attention to detail on my mates 1 year old 7.5 was a bit flakey in places. particularly the Fuel tank selector. The Hull and tubes are sound though and its fast. I couldn't catch him the other night which was irritating.

There are two points on the Ribeye that concern me one id the track that the seats bolt into I don't think it will pass the test of time and the tubes seem very plasticy to me

Have a look at Ospreys, Gemini's Solent ribs, Ribcraft or a scondhand Scorpion
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2004, 10:39   #15

Actually, the 6.5m isn't the Playtime model, but the Sport Model.
I reckon when it comes to quality, have a look at a new one, and one a couple of years old (mine always available for inspection) and decide for yourself along with comparison of other makes.

The reason that in the past as Rogue Wave states that people selling second hand Ribeyes would always point out that they were built in UK rather than South Africa, was that the initial half dozen hulls produced were very poor. They were bought back and scrapped but the mud stuck. However, since then things were sorted out and the quality has been high.

Another thing to point out is that they are marketed with Yamaha, and can be bought through Yamaha dealers. Surely if the quality was poor, Yamaha would not want to be associated with them. As it happens, Yamaha have their name attached to the tubes and transom (or so I've seen on the 6.5m and 7.5m models)

I wouldn't argue that they are as good as other makes such as Scorpion or Revenger, but they are more affordable...and from my experience just a great boat for offshore (maybe not mid-atlantic) and inshore.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:49   #16

Just remembered who's got a Ribeye 650. It's "my girls" and they posted a thread with very nice pictures of it on 11th February 2004.

I don't know how to post a link to that thread from here.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:57   #17

Town: Crawley
Make: Ribeye / Typhoon
Length: 5m / 2.4m
Engine: Yamaha 80 four stroke
Ribeye

Just to add my comments I own a 5 Mtre Ribeye which I bought new last year.

I have personally found it to be a well made boat which handles rough water well.

We have done some "long cruises" 100 miles in the right conditions.

Also received good service from Ocean Quay Marine where I bought it.

Peter
Old 16 June 2004, 10:59   #18

Town: Guildford
Boat name: zeros
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5.8
Engine: Yam 115 4/
I have a dartmouth built ribeye which I bought from new nearly three years ago. Generally i am pleased with the boat but given my time again i would probably buy something different. Unlike cars when you buy a rib as a novice you don't really know what to expect and look for, I still haven't got that much experience in driving other ribs in different conditions so I don't really know if mine is good or bad. I did my level 2 on one and was hooked since then the instructer has bought a new rib and has replaced the ribeye with a ribcraft ask David Hickman why?
Old 16 June 2004, 11:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw
Just remembered who's got a Ribeye 650. It's "my girls" and they posted a thread with very nice pictures of it on 11th February 2004.
Looks like this may be the thread?? http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3951
Old 16 June 2004, 11:44   #20

Town: York/Kingsbridge
Boat name: No Nonsense
Make: Prosport
Engine: 250hp
I now own the smaller of David's two ex-boats. It's a 5.8m Ribeye Dive - can't fault it really. Solid construction, handles well and has all the extras I need. Apart from seats! The Dive is pretty antisocial as a family runabout with only two jockeys, but mine is one of the last to be made in Dartmouth and feels very solid, without the frills. It's been out in all conditions and I must say, we've (the family) never felt threatened (much). I think I know why David opted for Ribcraft this time, but I’m sure he’ll answer for himself if he sees the thread!