Old 25 June 2012, 20:30   #1

Length: 3m +
advice on rib size v engine size

hello i am thinking of buying a secondhand small rib ie a laros pirelli 3 metre one and i wonder if anyone can give me advice as to the best size of outboard to put on it and what would be the max hp for a rib of that size. thanks
Old 25 June 2012, 20:37   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Is that a soft bottomed (i.e. not glass fiber) inflatable? If so, you're probably looking at 15-20hp max., depending on the actual length - and that's an old 2 stroke, not a heavy 4.

Oh yeah, and welcome to RIBnet :-)
Old 25 June 2012, 20:45   #3

yes i think soft bottomed i think it has an inflatable keel and a slatted wooden floor and 10 ft in lenght
Old 25 June 2012, 20:52   #4
RIBnet Supporter

OK, what you have there is a SIB (soft inflatable boat), not a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) - no biggie but we're sticklers for these things on here

In many ways, it's very similar to mine, which is 9 feet. It belts along at 20mph with a 10hp on - so 15hp is probably your safe max. It may be stamped on a plate on the transom somewhere? I'm guessing again, but is this a, erm, vintage craft?
Old 25 June 2012, 20:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Is that a soft bottomed (i.e. not glass fiber) inflatable? If so, you're probably looking at 15-20hp max., depending on the actual length - and that's an old 2 stroke, not a heavy 4.

Oh yeah, and welcome to RIBnet :-)
thanks for the advice and the welcome
Old 25 June 2012, 20:59   #6

Quote:
OK, what you have there is a SIB (soft inflatable boat), not a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) - no biggie but we're sticklers for these things on here

In many ways, it's very similar to mine, which is 9 feet. It belts along at 20mph with a 10hp on - so 15hp is probably your safe max. It may be stamped on a plate on the transom somewhere? I'm guessing again, but is this a, erm, vintage craft?
yes erm i think its a vintage one ok
Old 25 June 2012, 21:10   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Oh, many's the fine tune was played on an old fiddle - just look at "DM" who posts on here. Actually, maybe you'd best not....

...anyway, what I was GOING to say was that the, um, more Experienced craft (aka auld wans) were built in the 2 stroke outboard era, 2 strokes being very light for their power, if you get my drift. If using a 4 stroke, you'll need to be careful not to exceed the weight that the transom can cope with, whatever about the power rating. In any case, I'd say use a 2 stroke - far more craic on a wee yoke like that
Old 25 June 2012, 21:23   #8

right so you wouldnt advise against the auld ones only 2 patches i havent a clue
Old 25 June 2012, 21:38   #9
RIBnet Supporter

It's a money call, really. If it's cheap, holds air and the patches are good - why not? Oh, and check that the transom is solid too. A patch or two is no problem, provided they're not on seams, it's the integrity of the seams and glue that is a concern with the older boats. Some from the 1970s are still going - depends how it was made/been used/stored. When I say cheap, I mean cheap...

Still, nice looking boat:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laros.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	69680  
Old 25 June 2012, 21:40   #10

Quote:
Oh, many's the fine tune was played on an old fiddle - just look at "DM" who posts on here. Actually, maybe you'd best not....

...anyway, what I was GOING to say was that the, um, more Experienced craft (aka auld wans) were built in the 2 stroke outboard era, 2 strokes being very light for their power, if you get my drift. If using a 4 stroke, you'll need to be careful not to exceed the weight that the transom can cope with, whatever about the power rating. In any case, I'd say use a 2 stroke - far more craic on a wee yoke like that
i will go for a 2 stroke as i know they re lighter. would an auld wan like that with 2 patches be seaworthy
Old 25 June 2012, 21:46   #11

Quote:
It's a money call, really. If it's cheap, holds air and the patches are good - why not? Oh, and check that the transom is solid too. A patch or two is no problem, provided they're not on seams, it's the integrity of the seams and glue that is a concern with the older boats. Some from the 1970s are still going - depends how it was made/been used/stored. When I say cheap, I mean cheap...

Still, nice looking boat:
yeah buyer wanted 250 stg im dealing at 180 stg though i havent bought it yet there might be a patch on a seam only going by photos
Old 25 June 2012, 21:55   #12
RIBnet Supporter

It sounds like you're in the right ballpark, moneywise. The patch on the seam, I wouldn't be so happy about. If it's below water, it will probably lift eventually, above water it may just seep a little air. Is it serious? Depends on what's under the patch. If you're halfway handy, then you can repair these things easily for a few quid. Your call, really.
Old 10 July 2012, 20:17   #13

has anyone any experience of domar corsair ribs