Old 20 April 2019, 07:45   #1

Town: Eastbourne
Length: 3m +
Advice on first rib

Hi All

We have got an opportunity to store a boat on the beach with access to wooden ramp / tractor and winch.

Ive wanted a rib for some time but launching and storage has always put me off, so now im very excited that we could possibly be joining the boating world , im a keen windsurfing and have owed jet skis many years ago!

This is what i would like from our family rib, so any info or advice we be much appreciated.

This boat will only be used when its flat to mild chop (basically on family beach days).

I would like to be able to wake board so powerful enough to get an adult up, im not worried about creating a wake just need enough power to pull someone out the water and get them going.We used to do this off jet skis years ago and that was fine.

At the most there will be four adults on the boat. (all quite light).

This is going to be our first family boat , so not after anything to fancy just want to get out there and have some fun while we have access to ramp etc.

What sort of money would i need to spend in the used market for something thats not going to have issues every time we use it?

Thanks Adam
Old 20 April 2019, 08:50   #2

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Hi Adam,

Welcome to Ribnet.

You'll get lots of advice and opinions, and much will depend on how clearly you can spec your needs. If it's generally for 4 adults do you want seats for all of them?

What is he towing weight of your car if you'll be towing to / from launch point, where do you intend to keep the boat - and how much room is there?

Are you looking for a project to do up yourself, or do you want a "turnkey" up & running boat?

There are several threads upon here about choosing a first rib, so a search would probably help you.

I think for 4 adults and room / power for wakeboarding you'd probably be looking at something c.5m-5.5m with at least a 90HP.
Old 20 April 2019, 09:18   #3

Hi Lake land

Thanks for your reply.

4 adults would be the maximum and very rare , mostly would be two adults and two kids.
Also like I said we’re all pretty light , I weight 67kgs just to give you an idea.

The boat will be store on the beach at the launch access so no towing, I do have a transporter t6 so I’m sure that’s capable if I need to tow.

Not fussed about all sitting down in actual seats.

Some years ago I’m sure I’ve boarder off the back of a boat with 40hp with one in the boat.I might be wrong though!

I don’t want to be doing any work , just start and go!

I’ve seen some small honwaves wizzing along with 15hp and was tempted with that but just want the power to wake board really.

Thanks
Old 20 April 2019, 10:09   #4

A Honwave is not technically a RIB. On here it would go by the name SIB. It has an inflatable hull rather than a GRP hull. The advantage is portability and to some extent weight. The disadvantage is possibly durability, but also performance.

So a Honwave might (just) pull a board with 1 up and probably more horses than a 15. But it feels like a compromise that you don't need as you've got launching and storage sorted.

Kids have a nasty habit of growing. So speccing for 4 adults is not unreasonable.

You'll find the ?majority of people on here do (or think they do) some serious passage making. As such they'll push you towards seats. Messing about on a beach can mean a lot of different things. You don't NEED seats for all. But - how old are the kids? Will they stay perched on the tubes. Doing 20kts+ and bouncing off wakes etc makes it too easy to fall out. Unlike on a jetski you might want to worry about people falling in the water!

If its a glorified tender than gets you from a launch site to a beach to pitch up for a BBQ - sitting on tubes might be fine. Spending 2 or 3 hours circling round at speed - seats might matter more... Think also about seat layout - seats up front are called suicide seats on here! 2 adults at a wheel with 2 seats behind for the kids means you can't (easily) see what they are up to. They are close to the big egg whisk in the water.

A 4m searider with a 40-50HP will pull a wakeboard but i'd expect that to be more challenging if you had 3 adults on board and . It will sit 4 adults on tubes (well 3 and a driver on a jockey seat). Typically will cost £3-4k for a turn key model.

But I suspect you want bigger... maybe 4.8m ish with 70-90horses - costing ~£5-6k ish
Old 20 April 2019, 11:04   #5

Hi Shiny Shoe

You've made some great comments re kids and seats.

Our kids are young 5, 7 and 1 . The baby won't be going in the boat , luckily enough the storage/launch is where my in laws have a holiday home so there'll be lots of family around.

With the kids on board we would just be pottering around , the power is more for me and the wife as we can dump the kids with the grandparents !

Are those figures for used or new ribs?

I would be happy to spend around 4k leaving me some money for decent life jackets and any accessories.

Thanks
Old 20 April 2019, 11:20   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I wouldn't want young children sitting on tubes for any distance / speed, but would want them safe on seats and able to hold on. Different if purely pootling about a river / estuary, which I don't think you are

As Shinyshoe says children grow quite quickly! Having said that, nothing to stop you getting a boat for now and upgrading at later date - providing what you get now will actually meet your current needs.

I made mistake (with hindsight)of buying a 4m Avon when my 2 were small, it really did not offer the seating / protection needed for what we did.
Old 20 April 2019, 12:46   #7

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I think what your asking for is do able for £5k ish
( second-hand the price of new ribs is to me eye wateringly expensive).I would be looking at one of the zodiac range of ribs pro 9 stuff like that with a 100hp fourstroke will be plenty of secure seating for the kids leisure layout lots of storage economical will tow a boarder or waterskier
Old 20 April 2019, 14:17   #8

Thanks beer belly.

Now i have an idea of engine size and seating etc were would be
the best place to look for used boats like this ? Im guessing that most the dealers don't get involved around my budget?
Old 20 April 2019, 16:42   #9

eBay. Findafishingboat. Apploduck. Here.
Local boaty places.
Some dealers may - but you are right it's bottom end of their interest.

**Watch for scams.** Never buy without seeing it no matter how good the deal seems
Old 20 April 2019, 18:14   #10

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I would say 60hp 2 stroke minimum in a light 4/5m boat Avon did some sub 4m hulls with seats for 4, in keaisure specs supersport iirc but a bit bigger 4.5-5m will be better don’t forget you need a spotter and ribs often don’t have a high tow point so you may need to add a small pole and loose some space on board.

Be warned there are a lot of scams always deal in person and see it running before handing over any money!
Old 20 April 2019, 20:13   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Rib or sib both will do what you require with the right spec but you have young kids your first obsticle is their mum it needs to be safe perfect conditions low in the boat with the least risk to them to convince her, start with a cheap set up and move up spending big dosh won't make it acceptable if their not happy, I've been there trust me small boats give emence fun for all you just need to to be sensible and build your families confidance loads of info on here loads of blokes in the same mind it's about fun the rest just falls into place
Old 20 April 2019, 23:18   #12

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
We have a 3.8m rib with a 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha it has been used for very similar use to what you require for almost 20 years 2 adults 2 children for general messing about but also capable of pulling a mono skier or wakeboard.
Just been out with it this weekend with my pal his (large) wife and 3year old and a reasonably comfortable ride out 2 sat on tubes child on console with driver.
Yes bigger could be argued to be better but it doesnt need to be and bigger gets more expensive.
I wouldnt bother with a sib unless you need to fold up or want something brand new in budget. A rib will outperform a sib in almost all circumstances apart from packing into a small space
During the 20 years I've owned this boat I've also owned several larger boats and a couple smaller including a sib but this little boat is capable of so much and is so easy to launch and recover I'd never part with it
Old 21 April 2019, 19:42   #13

Thanks for the comments , theres a lot to take in really as with all the things it needs research etc.

Beam i really like the sound of your set up , simple and easy , do you have any pictures?
Old 21 April 2019, 19:48   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
There’s a few Facebook groups that seem to have ribs at the cheaper/smaller end of the scale. Same warnings about scams would apply. Also beware if you travel to buy such a boat it may well be on an unroadworthy trailer. You won’t be the first person on here to cross there fingers and then find yourself stuck at the side of the road when a bearing fails and the wheel comes off!

If you are looking to use alongside your windsurf avoid a-frames and other protrusions that will get in the way for towing.
Old 21 April 2019, 22:27   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Here you go! note the wakeboard lying on the tender
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160829_181501_resized_1-2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	129117  
Old 23 April 2019, 14:01   #16

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
I just sold my 4m with a 40hp 2-stroke outboard. Used mainly for wakeboarding. With a 4 blade prop you could wakeboard with 3 in the boat quiet easily. Just sold it for £2500 and had just been refurbed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3270.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	129140Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	129141

Might give you some ideas.
Old 23 April 2019, 19:49   #17

Well i think that would be a perfect fun first boat, not a lot to maintain and at that sort of money you wouldn't be losing any sleep if things are going wrong with it or your not getting a lot of time in the water etc however my wife doesn't agree

She is keen on having something we can all sit in on chairs comfortably , with storage.
With my budget the only thing i can find is speed boats from the early 90s
Thoughts please?
Old 23 April 2019, 20:02   #18

There was an sr4 on Facebook for £2500 looked decent but unless your prepared to scour the land and potential waste a lot of time you might need to accept a 90’s boat or up budget....

https://imgur.com/a/fRaZxMn
Old 24 April 2019, 06:07   #19

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-0m-Humb...EAAOSw6JNcp1d8
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-fury-Pa...wAAOSww4BcvEWl
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-GRAN...cAAOSwRiFcpbF2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Ribc...QAAOSwo8NciNuW
just in the first half dozen adverts on ebay
Old 25 April 2019, 20:15   #20

Trouble is there are a lot of scam ads on every platform eBay gumtree Facebook so tread carefully inspect in person and don’t pay without boat in hand....

Tags
rib