Old 02 May 2019, 06:36   #41

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I had a fletcher arrowflash 15 with mercury 75 2 stroke that I used for skiing on loch ken was good on the loch but only about 3-4 inches of freeboard would have my arse nipping in the sea
Yep I had a series of similar hard boats and whilst great fun in the right conditions the first time you stuff one in the sea you realise why ribs have almost wiped out small speedboat sales in the uk.
Would I go back to a small hard boat? Definitely not a rib can do anything a hard boat can do and so much more.
Old 02 May 2019, 16:51   #42

Town: Eastbourne
Length: 3m +
Ill report back on my experience with this little hard board to see if it works for what we need it for , unless in sinks!!!
Old 02 May 2019, 18:57   #43

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Ill report back on my experience with this little hard board to see if it works for what we need it for , unless in sinks!!!

Don't listen to the scare mongering Windsurfer! .... I had a Fletcher Arrowflyte + 60hp for a few years it was awesome fun, my kids learnt to Wakeboard, kneeboard, mono ski etc with it (in the sea!) they were adults when I sold it and it was still effortless towing them, yeah as mentioned you have to 'respect limitations' as its not a designed for the rough stuff but still great fun!! .... wish Id kept mine just for towing as more practical for towing than the RIB
Old 02 May 2019, 21:10   #44

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
If you ever wonder if solid speed boats are fun watch the video below.

I was there in a 17 foot Fletcher Bow Rider with 115 hp outboard and it was one of the best boating events I have ever been too.

Ribs have their place but so do speed boats.. If you can afford it have both I say

Old 03 May 2019, 07:37   #45

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
If you ever wonder if solid speed boats are fun watch the video below.

I was there in a 17 foot Fletcher Bow Rider with 115 hp outboard and it was one of the best boating events I have ever been too.

Ribs have their place but so do speed boats.. If you can afford it have both I say

Showing a video of a 25 footer to support someone's decision to buy a 15 footer is like saying a transit motor home will do what a mini will
They will both get from a to b but thats where the similarities end
Old 03 May 2019, 07:41   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Showing a video of a 25 footer to support someone's decision to buy a 15 footer is like saying a transit motor home will do what a mini will
They will both get from a to b but thats where the similarities end
If you watched the video you will see that there are all sizes of boats on that Rally from 15 ft to 25 ft.... I was there in a 17 foot Bow Rider so it is indeed relivent….. The year before there was a chap in a 13 foot boat
Old 03 May 2019, 07:46   #47

Same Rally Lots of smaller boats many 15 and 17 footers 2014

Is this a better comparison

Old 02 November 2019, 20:32   #48

Well i thought i would report back on my first season of boating!
The fletcher was great fun , pulled the wake boards well and was fine in the flat calm conditions.
It was a bit hairy when the sea was rough and i took it out in conditions i probably shouldn't of done, but it didn't sink!
Unfortunately i had to sell the boat as i could no longer use the storage and launch facilities i had.
Then i bought a honwave 3.2 sib and 15hp 2stroke , i got this set up so i could self launch at the beach behind my house. I actually found this more fun than the fletcher , more manoeuvrable on and off the water , being able to beach it was handy and managed to wake board off the back.
But now after all that i want a rib moored in my local harbour!!!
Old 02 November 2019, 21:20   #49

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Sounds like you had a cracking season what sort of size rib as I may know of something ideal for sale.......
Old 02 November 2019, 22:36   #50

Im after something 4m max and 3.6 min , i can't go over the 4m as i want to store on a jet ski doc.
Bench seat with a steering console and 40 - 50 hp would be good, however if a nice tiler controlled packaged was available i would consider it.
cheers
Old 02 November 2019, 22:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Im after something 4m max and 3.6 min , i can't go over the 4m as i want to store on a jet ski doc.
Is it a block type dock or a single piece? Biggest difference is a ski has the weight centred a rib can have more aft weight especially when no one is aboard.

The one I know of is 5.4 with a 70 I think....

Why not just get a ski?

BTW have you seen this series of videos https://youtu.be/wTHpJwkcxDI
Old 03 November 2019, 07:56   #52

Some are the block type and some are single piece , 4m will hang over a bit and leave the back end in the water and 3.6 would be dry.

5.4 would unfortunately be to big as the mooring fees double over the 4m, that will be next years purchase !

I did have a jet ski many years ago , but not really what im after now.

I can't open the youtube link?
Old 03 November 2019, 07:59   #53

The link works now ....
Old 03 November 2019, 15:24   #54

Town: Hove
I've watched all those videos, very interesting. He's just started to publish his round the UK adventure. It ended in Eastbourne with a knackered prop!
Old 03 November 2019, 17:14   #55

Town: Fakenham
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: 75hp 2 stroke mercur
Hi, I recently picked up my first rib. It’s an Avon searider 5.4m with a 75hp 2 stroke mercury and roller coaster trailer for £1200. Turn the key and ready to go, deals are out there to be found so keep looking around.

Mines to be used as a family boat with towing of inflatables and knee boards. My mate has exactly the same set up and tows easily with his with 2 adults and 6 kids on board. My kids are 4 and 9 and generally don’t sit down although we have not been out in any significant chop yet. I’m using the winter period to put in a bench seat along the back so they have somewhere to sit when needed.
Old 03 November 2019, 18:37   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
I've watched all those videos, very interesting. He's just started to publish his round the UK adventure. It ended in Eastbourne with a knackered prop!
Brilliant ! Enjoyed that ,although i bet they didn't have anything in stock at Eastbourne harbour to help them out...
Old 03 November 2019, 18:45   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Hi, I recently picked up my first rib. It’s an Avon searider 5.4m with a 75hp 2 stroke mercury and roller coaster trailer for £1200. Turn the key and ready to go, deals are out there to be found so keep looking around.

Mines to be used as a family boat with towing of inflatables and knee boards. My mate has exactly the same set up and tows easily with his with 2 adults and 6 kids on board. My kids are 4 and 9 and generally don’t sit down although we have not been out in any significant chop yet. I’m using the winter period to put in a bench seat along the back so they have somewhere to sit when needed.
That certainly was a good deal! Ive really struggled to find what im after..
Old 03 November 2019, 18:48   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglenook View Post
I had a 3.8m sib with an 18hp Tohatsu on the back that I managed to wakeboard behind but, I always felt it was a fiar bit of stress on the transom.

Last year I purchased a 4m Valiant with ex RNLI 40HP mariner on the back. Easy to tow behind a car and light enough for myself and the wife to launch and recover, could even do it single handed in calm waters. Handles chop well and I feel a nice safe boat. It has a fixed seat for two side by side behind a small console and you can have a suicide seat / coolbox in front and then seating on the tubes. I have pulled wakeboards and skis with 3 in the boat, it can be a little sluggish starting with 3 in the boat but once up goes well, with 2 on board and one behind it is fine. I was ideally looking for a 5-5.5m but this came up at the right money plus, I could just fit it in my garage and i am not inclined to change it anytime soon.
A 4m Valiant like this is would be perfect , i don't want to be doing any work so would be to spend some money on something well looked after and not to old...
Old 03 November 2019, 19:12   #59

Town: Fakenham
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: 75hp 2 stroke mercur
There’s an sr4 with a 40hp on Facebook at the moment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F0A157D-9C56-4F44-B724-800B228C6876.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	131372  
Old 03 November 2019, 19:31   #60

Im not sure what to make of this Advert and It needs a motor but looks like. 3.5-4m Avon were they called super sport? Or something it’s a leisure spec rib different to the rover (tender) and sea rider (flooding hull)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323939927763

Tags
rib