Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Trouble is there are a lot of scam ads on every platform eBay gumtree Facebook so tread carefully inspect in person and don’t pay without boat in hand....
very true and it seems to be the same ads over and over again usual rules apply never pay for anything your not stood looking at and if its seams to good to be true it probably is
Old 26 April 2019, 08:37   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
If you don’t mind a trip along the coast, your welcome to have a trip out on my 5.7m RIB with a 115HP Opti on the back . Will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Old 26 April 2019, 11:57   #23

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Remember if you passed your driving test after 1997 there will be restrictions on the weight you can tow and I'd guess some of the larger options suggested may be getting towards or over that limit.........just something to think about.
Old 27 April 2019, 18:15   #24

Town: Eastbourne
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh66 View Post
If you don’t mind a trip along the coast, your welcome to have a trip out on my 5.7m RIB with a 115HP Opti on the back . Will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Hi Simon , Thats a very nice offer and i may take you up on that as i have some work coming up soon that way, although i don't want to get a taste for 115hp
£££
Old 27 April 2019, 18:18   #25

Ok ive seen a Apex 15 2004 with a 75hp on the back.
Looks a nice lay out and in good condition.

My only concern is the size of the out board , is it too big for the boat?
Also would it be much more money to maintain and service etc than say a 50-60 hp
Old 27 April 2019, 20:55   #26

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Guess it depends on the outboard a lighter 2 stroke or an old heavy 4 stroke? Your very unlikely to save money by replacing the outboard often the only difference between a 60 and 75 is the carbs many manufactures use common blocks for several power outputs? Only varying the carbs or even just the needles or ecu map on newer units.
Old 28 April 2019, 05:31   #27

Its a 75hp marina four stroke
Old 28 April 2019, 08:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Its a 75hp marina four stroke
Ah ok then I was thinking a light weight 2 stroke transom plate should have max power and weight ratings if it’s over either could cause insurance issues
Old 28 April 2019, 10:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Ah ok then I was thinking a light weight 2 stroke transom plate should have max power and weight ratings if it’s over either could cause insurance issues
From what I can see online , it’s 70hp max and 50hp recommend.. so yes it’s too big really
Old 29 April 2019, 15:42   #30

Town: Wolverhampton
I had a 3.8m sib with an 18hp Tohatsu on the back that I managed to wakeboard behind but, I always felt it was a fiar bit of stress on the transom.

Last year I purchased a 4m Valiant with ex RNLI 40HP mariner on the back. Easy to tow behind a car and light enough for myself and the wife to launch and recover, could even do it single handed in calm waters. Handles chop well and I feel a nice safe boat. It has a fixed seat for two side by side behind a small console and you can have a suicide seat / coolbox in front and then seating on the tubes. I have pulled wakeboards and skis with 3 in the boat, it can be a little sluggish starting with 3 in the boat but once up goes well, with 2 on board and one behind it is fine. I was ideally looking for a 5-5.5m but this came up at the right money plus, I could just fit it in my garage and i am not inclined to change it anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8364.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	129190  
Old 29 April 2019, 19:22   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglenook View Post
I had a 3.8m sib with an 18hp Tohatsu on the back that I managed to wakeboard behind but, I always felt it was a fiar bit of stress on the transom.

Last year I purchased a 4m Valiant with ex RNLI 40HP mariner on the back. Easy to tow behind a car and light enough for myself and the wife to launch and recover, could even do it single handed in calm waters. Handles chop well and I feel a nice safe boat. It has a fixed seat for two side by side behind a small console and you can have a suicide seat / coolbox in front and then seating on the tubes. I have pulled wakeboards and skis with 3 in the boat, it can be a little sluggish starting with 3 in the boat but once up goes well, with 2 on board and one behind it is fine. I was ideally looking for a 5-5.5m but this came up at the right money plus, I could just fit it in my garage and i am not inclined to change it anytime soon.
That looks a nice rib .
I have seen a few but all seem to be so far away , living next to the eastbourne marina and having newhaven and Brighton marina within 30-40mins i thought there would be something local available.
Old 30 April 2019, 20:02   #32

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
That looks a nice rib .
I have seen a few but all seem to be so far away , living next to the eastbourne marina and having newhaven and Brighton marina within 30-40mins i thought there would be something local available.
In this hobby If you see something that is what you want but distant you just have to Travel. See it as a day out and an adventure
Old 30 April 2019, 21:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
In this hobby If you see something that is what you want but distant you just have to Travel. See it as a day out and an adventure
Particularly if it looks right and the price is right, there is plenty of over priced tat for sale genuine sellers with genuine boats to sell are few and far between. Worth grabbing one when you see it.

Of course the perfect boat will turn up around the corner a week after you trek up the country for a so so one.. that’s life, if time is precious and you don’t want to waste it dig deep and get what you want ......
Old 01 May 2019, 05:37   #34

If you omit all the scammers there are actually not that many second hand Ribs for sale...… I know I look every day
Old 01 May 2019, 12:29   #35

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
If your just going out on calm days want four seats and doing some wakeboarding have you considered a GRP boat instead? something like a Fletcher Arrowflash + 75hp will easily do the job and your get a lot more boat for your money ..... if Wakeboarding you really need tow point as high as possible (ski pole) you wont find a RIB with one and the A frame on 5M/5.5M RIB wont be rated for towing
Old 01 May 2019, 14:19   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
If your just going out on calm days want four seats and doing some wakeboarding have you considered a GRP boat instead? something like a Fletcher Arrowflash + 75hp will easily do the job and your get a lot more boat for your money ..... if Wakeboarding you really need tow point as high as possible (ski pole) you wont find a RIB with one and the A frame on 5M/5.5M RIB wont be rated for towing

I agree with you but a dangerous thing to say on here
Old 01 May 2019, 19:16   #37

Quote:

Hi Budgie

I have just done exactly that!

It really was the seating layout for the family and the ski pole that done it for me.
I will get a rib at some point but for now the speed boat seemed to be the best option.

Hopefully im not banned from the forum

Thanks for the advice everyone
Old 01 May 2019, 20:27   #38

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Always fancied a Boston Whaler myself

Old 01 May 2019, 22:14   #39

Quote:

Hopefully im not banned from the forum

Thanks for the advice everyone
You should be fine......I’m still here
Old 02 May 2019, 05:57   #40

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
I had a fletcher arrowflash 15 with mercury 75 2 stroke that I used for skiing on loch ken was good on the loch but only about 3-4 inches of freeboard would have my arse nipping in the sea

Tags
rib