Old 17 August 2008, 09:35   #21

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Does anybody know if there is anywhere in the are that we can get fuel when afloat. I am sure there will be plenty of places to get diesel but petrol may be more difficult. The CCC pilot book doesn't mention anywhere. As were don't plan to take the boat out at the end of each day we wont be in the position to trail it round to a filling station. Will my only option be jerry jugs?

Jon
Old 17 August 2008, 10:42   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
You may be cursing the Scottish coast, but there's nothing wrong with the Jerry jugs, enjoy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heidi Klum.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	37005  
Old 18 August 2008, 06:36   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.esp View Post
Mind you with weather like it has been lately perhaps we are daft even thinking about moving the boat from Spain in the first place. Friend have just come back having spent a fortnight out there and reported wall to wall sunshine. We had the same back in July.
The West coast hasnt been too bad this year, mind you thats maybe a little further up, .. Lewis should see 70 Deg F today again ! A couple of weeks ago there were some days I had to find a job inside, up there, as it was too hot to work in the sun outside !
Old 18 August 2008, 09:00   #24

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300 hp outboard
The only place you can fuel up alongside with petrol around Oban is Puffin dive, which is about 2 miles to the south down the sound of Kerrera. Other than that, its jerry cans all the way!
Old 18 August 2008, 13:01   #25

Ally

Thats useful info and worth bearing in mind when looking for somewhere to base ourselves when we are up there. We have a 170l tank but it soon runs down!
Old 19 August 2008, 15:52   #26

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Engine: 300 hp outboard
yes we are regular customers alongside! Fill up our 140 litre tank, four 20 litre jerry cans then off we head!

If i remember rightly its pretty easy to fill jerry cans up in tobermory - there was a petrol station right by the pontoons last time we were there. If thats the case its a decent stop off for heading out to the small isles and skye.
Old 22 August 2008, 21:37   #27

Thanks everyone for all the input and we have just returned from a couple of days in the area.

We favour storing the boat at the MRC in Loch Creran where they offer secure storage in their extensive shed space. Need to sort out the costs though but I suspect they were open to negotiation.

We have seen some cottages for rent on Lismore just opposite Port Appin and understand a mooring might be available for us when we stay. It is tucked in behind a shingle bank where the perch is near the old ferry jetty and from what I could see was quite sheltered from most quarters and out of the current. We are told they don’t dry out. If anybody knows anything negative about these I would be pleased to hear and have attached a picture. You can just make out 3 bouys. We thought we would keep a little Avon on the beach to get us out there.

The other option we like is taking one of Linnhe Marine’s moorings as there are a few cottages to rent just a few 100m away a little way up the hill. They offer to take you out to the mooring or let you use the tinies. They seemed very helpful.

We went to Tobermory and saw how close the petrol station was to the pontoons. I guess it makes a useful fuel toping up point. We didn’t find much else that suited us on Mull but maybe we just went to the wrong places.

We didn’t have time to venture south of Oban which is a shame as I would have liked to look at Easedale but no doubt will make it down there next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scot Aug 08044 red 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	37134  
Old 25 October 2008, 13:09   #28

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Hi Jon
You can tie the rib at the Wharf in Oban and walk easily to their Tesco for fuel, if you were stuck.
Try contacting, Oban Yacht Haven, opposite the shore, They may/may not do petrol.
As already mentioned, you can possibly get fuel further South, at Puffin, they also are adjacant to a B and B.
If you head further South, there are excellent overnight Facilities at Craobh Haven, Marina, contact Jim Berry there, he can put you in touch with Lunga , regarding accodomation, also food etc at Lord of the Isles.
There is no petrol here however.
If you venture further South, you can get petrol delivered to the Quayside at Gigha, by Quad, you need to contact Gigha Stores, there is also a Hotel there, and a summertime Quayside Bistro.
I dont know how far you intend to go, again there are new pontoons at Craighouse Harbour on Jura, no Petrol though, a good hotel there, food etc, and if you make it that far South, Port Askaig on Islay has an adjacant petrol pump to the Harbour, 2 mins walk, you would need to contact the Hotel about it. good luck

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote