Old 21 April 2016, 15:45   #1

Town: bideford
Length: 4m +
advice needed

Right having done lots of research over the last few weeks I think that I want to buy a small rib.
I was thinking a 4 meter Sea Rider would be awesome and still like the idea as it would be easy to store and also launch and retrieve on my own.
But my lovely missus has said that her and my three smallish kids would like to come on occasion the kids being 2, 6 and 8 and a sea rider may be a little small for us all.
I have seen the 4.7m searchers but they are a bit rate and pricey but would be ideal, so I thought that I would tap the collective knowledge of Rib.net to see what may be recommended.
My budget is around £3000 or so and I would be heading around the North coast of Devon mainly so what do ya think???

Old 21 April 2016, 16:12   #2

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytwosheds View Post
Right having done lots of research over the last few weeks I think that I want to buy a small rib.
I was thinking a 4 meter Sea Rider would be awesome and still like the idea as it would be easy to store and also launch and retrieve on my own.
But my lovely missus has said that her and my three smallish kids would like to come on occasion the kids being 2, 6 and 8 and a sea rider may be a little small for us all.
I have seen the 4.7m searchers but they are a bit rate and pricey but would be ideal, so I thought that I would tap the collective knowledge of Rib.net to see what may be recommended.
My budget is around £3000 or so and I would be heading around the North coast of Devon mainly so what do ya think???
You can fit a family of five in a Searider 5.4 by adding a bench seat

Old 21 April 2016, 16:12   #3

Length: 3m +
2, 6 & 8... Eeek.

So 8 can be taught to helm, but with supervision.

2 year old needs to be in direct control of adult IMHO. So Mum needs a seat which she can have good hold and hold of 2 year old.

6 year old would ideally have adult in control too... So that means mum needs to be able to reach and or hold onto both kids. That says sofa at the back with Mum in the middle. 8 year old then needs a seat too...

Think that means u want a bigger boat.

But your use might be useful... Im assuming you won't be taking the kids out in anything but nice weather. But what about alone?

4.7 SR may still be small? Don't see many with sofas :-)... But I wouldn't take 3 kids to sea in a £3k SR4.7 because it will be cheap for a reason...

A **very** reliable engine AND a backup plan would be top of my list before I even worked out my seating...
Old 21 April 2016, 16:25   #4

So budgeting some sort of seat together for a sr4 would be an absolute no no then?(I think I know.the answer already)
Old 21 April 2016, 16:35   #5

Space is the issue. You could put a two seat jockey in for you and 8 year old say. But I think it goes too far back to allow a back bench seat? But I also think a SR4 may be too narrow between the tubes for a bench that can take 3
Old 21 April 2016, 17:21   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
2, 6 & 8... Eeek.

So 8 can be taught to helm, but with supervision.

2 year old needs to be in direct control of adult IMHO. So Mum needs a seat which she can have good hold and hold of 2 year old.
I think you are stereotyping. Mum can helm and dad can hold on!

Fwiw, I took mine from very young but only on short trips and in good weather. Tbh, I am not sure you will actually get enough good days whilst the youngest is still really young to worry too much. Often the dream and the reality of family boating don't match up, especially on a tight budget.
Old 22 April 2016, 01:48   #7

What about maybe a SR4 with two bench seats would that be enough room for us all I dunno maybe I am trying to get something that don't exist��
Old 22 April 2016, 02:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think you are stereotyping. Mum can helm and dad can hold on!

Fwiw, I took mine from very young but only on short trips and in good weather. Tbh, I am not sure you will actually get enough good days whilst the youngest is still really young to worry too much. Often the dream and the reality of family boating don't match up, especially on a tight budget.
I get that... But did u take 3?
Old 22 April 2016, 15:33   #9

Hi guys thanks for all your help I was wondering.during what everyone thought of this Rib? would it be suitable for me
Old 22 April 2016, 15:41   #10

Nothing attached