Old 21 April 2016, 19:45   #1

Town: bideford
Length: 4m +
advice needed

Right having done lots of research over the last few weeks I think that I want to buy a small rib.
I was thinking a 4 meter Sea Rider would be awesome and still like the idea as it would be easy to store and also launch and retrieve on my own.
But my lovely missus has said that her and my three smallish kids would like to come on occasion the kids being 2, 6 and 8 and a sea rider may be a little small for us all.
I have seen the 4.7m searchers but they are a bit rate and pricey but would be ideal, so I thought that I would tap the collective knowledge of Rib.net to see what may be recommended.
My budget is around £3000 or so and I would be heading around the North coast of Devon mainly so what do ya think???
Old 21 April 2016, 20:12   #2

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytwosheds View Post
Right having done lots of research over the last few weeks I think that I want to buy a small rib.
I was thinking a 4 meter Sea Rider would be awesome and still like the idea as it would be easy to store and also launch and retrieve on my own.
But my lovely missus has said that her and my three smallish kids would like to come on occasion the kids being 2, 6 and 8 and a sea rider may be a little small for us all.
I have seen the 4.7m searchers but they are a bit rate and pricey but would be ideal, so I thought that I would tap the collective knowledge of Rib.net to see what may be recommended.
My budget is around £3000 or so and I would be heading around the North coast of Devon mainly so what do ya think???
You can fit a family of five in a Searider 5.4 by adding a bench seat
Old 21 April 2016, 20:12   #3

Length: 3m +
2, 6 & 8... Eeek.

So 8 can be taught to helm, but with supervision.

2 year old needs to be in direct control of adult IMHO. So Mum needs a seat which she can have good hold and hold of 2 year old.

6 year old would ideally have adult in control too... So that means mum needs to be able to reach and or hold onto both kids. That says sofa at the back with Mum in the middle. 8 year old then needs a seat too...

Think that means u want a bigger boat.

But your use might be useful... Im assuming you won't be taking the kids out in anything but nice weather. But what about alone?

4.7 SR may still be small? Don't see many with sofas :-)... But I wouldn't take 3 kids to sea in a £3k SR4.7 because it will be cheap for a reason...

A **very** reliable engine AND a backup plan would be top of my list before I even worked out my seating...
Old 21 April 2016, 20:25   #4

So budgeting some sort of seat together for a sr4 would be an absolute no no then?(I think I know.the answer already)
Old 21 April 2016, 20:35   #5

Space is the issue. You could put a two seat jockey in for you and 8 year old say. But I think it goes too far back to allow a back bench seat? But I also think a SR4 may be too narrow between the tubes for a bench that can take 3
Old 21 April 2016, 21:21   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
2, 6 & 8... Eeek.

So 8 can be taught to helm, but with supervision.

2 year old needs to be in direct control of adult IMHO. So Mum needs a seat which she can have good hold and hold of 2 year old.
I think you are stereotyping. Mum can helm and dad can hold on!

Fwiw, I took mine from very young but only on short trips and in good weather. Tbh, I am not sure you will actually get enough good days whilst the youngest is still really young to worry too much. Often the dream and the reality of family boating don't match up, especially on a tight budget.
Old 22 April 2016, 05:48   #7

What about maybe a SR4 with two bench seats would that be enough room for us all I dunno maybe I am trying to get something that don't exist��
Old 22 April 2016, 06:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think you are stereotyping. Mum can helm and dad can hold on!

Fwiw, I took mine from very young but only on short trips and in good weather. Tbh, I am not sure you will actually get enough good days whilst the youngest is still really young to worry too much. Often the dream and the reality of family boating don't match up, especially on a tight budget.
I get that... But did u take 3?
Old 22 April 2016, 19:33   #9

Hi guys thanks for all your help I was wondering.during what everyone thought of this Rib? would it be suitable for me
Old 22 April 2016, 19:41   #10

Nothing attached
Old 22 April 2016, 19:47   #11

Tornado - Deep V RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Devon, South West | Boats and Outboards sorry I am a nob
Old 22 April 2016, 21:32   #12

Certainly a possibility. I'd probably want to somehow add some arms to the sofa.

2004 engine... someone will be along shortly and tell you if the decals are at least right for that age. Hours will be important as well as what it like/servicing/etc

Those tubes don't look 19 year old so either the PU Tubes that everyone worries about are doing a hell of a lot better than expected or its been re-tubed. You'd want to know when, who by and what with (PVC, PU or Hypalon). Just so you know what you are dealing with.

Tornado as a boat don't seem to get too bad a press...
Old 23 April 2016, 07:25   #13

Thanks a lot shineyshoe you brilliant
Old 23 April 2016, 07:46   #14

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
She looks a nice boat, and I understand what people are saying about a bench seat, but I took mine out after the first day of use!

I found the kids on their own had a habit of sliding, and with the wife with them far to much weight at the back for a small boat (4.7).

My advice is think about how you're going to use a boat, where and for how long as this will change the configuration you need.

A 2 year old will need direct control so a seat to do this could be a double jockey, or in my first 4m we had a barrel that the little one sat on in the bow - and loved it, whilst the wife was tube sitting alongside. This was great on a flat day, at slow speeds whilst Aaron was small, but he soon out grew that position and we had to change boats!

The daughter (from around 8) was happy to stand at the seats and preferred it to sitting, this is fine for short hops but not good for long passages so something to think about.

My current configuration is 2 side by side jockey seats with a console seat in front. This would work for you I suspect, so long as the sea isn't huge

Having the 6 year old behind you on a jockey works well (it does for me) and I think would work on the Tornado (which I think are great boats) which leaves the wife and kids at the rear which again will be fine so long as there isn't too much weight there.

The good news is the 4.5 is a nice size to learn the craft in, this one will give you a good ride with the option of taking out the bench seat and adding in another jockey seat if the bench doesn't work, maybe a side by side pair if you're lucky and a console seat in front perhaps (although others hate these as bad as marmite they are fine if used correctly).

Knowing that you'll probably be launching at Appledore you'll have the whole estuary to play on and get used to the config before going too far away from land.

We moved from a 4.1 to a 4.7 to a 5.5 as we kept growing out of the boats as the kids grew. That's partly my fault as they are both happy at speed, wave jumping, longer passages etc and this just isn't safe in a small boat with a configuration not set up for the use. Had we stayed picnicking at Appledore or within the Sound the 4.1 would have remained great.

So in short think about your use now, your intended use and how the family will grow.

I will always suggest get the largest you can store, tow, manage, afford as you'll soon grow out of boats if you're not careful, a 4m for your use sounds too small to me. If this one is as good and as tidy as the picture suggests it could be a good first buy.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2016, 08:02   #15

Thanks Treerat your awesome to😁
Old 23 April 2016, 11:33   #16

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Don't under estimate a SR4 I have one and have in the past when my 3 kids where younger along with my wife spent a weekend away on the IOW using the SR4 as mode of transport along with change of clothes etc we needed for the weekend Yes it is cramped but a lot of fun!
All my kids have been boating with us from a few months old & I still have them all, not lost one yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture or Video 112.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	112148   Click image for larger version

Name:	173.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	112149   Click image for larger version

Name:	19[2].09.2004 010a.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	112150   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0870.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	112151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib net.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	112152  

Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2016, 13:20   #17

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
As shown in Nick's last 3 pics - an Osprey Viper 5.25 is what you need and an excellent choice as a small and easily manageable family RIB, if u can find one. They have a particularly wide beam which gives great deck space for any seating configuration.
Got mine for not much more than your budget, but worth every penny IMO. Having said that, spent a few pennies on her since as well !

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1461417600.856083.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	112153
Old 23 April 2016, 13:55   #18

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
As shown in Nick's last 3 pics - an Osprey Viper 5.25 is what you need and an excellent choice as a small and easily manageable family RIB, if u can find one. They have a particularly wide beam which gives great deck space for any seating configuration.
Got mine for not much more than your budget, but worth every penny IMO. Having said that, spent a few pennies on her since as well !
Attachment 112153
Yep my Viper was an 5.75m lost of fun on her especially after I fitted a 150HP Opti
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1002.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	112154   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0865.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	112155   Click image for larger version

Name:	15_Yar3_RosieRibRenegade.JPG
Views:	131