Old 27 June 2008, 12:30   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Advice for newbie please

Hi All. I am new on here, so be gentle.
I currently sail dinghies for fun at HISC (Chichester Harbour). I do rescue duties for the sailing club in their RIB's quite often and have a hankering to get myself a RIB that would be used for Rescue duties for the club, but would also be used for jollys across the Channel and for trips along the coast, camping on beaches etc as well. I have been looking at the Camel RIBs with interest as it would be useful when going out on jollys to be able to take a windsurfer, camping gear and other toys along.
Although the roof rack looks over the top, it would enable me to accomplish this.

I would be interested to hear the pro's and cons of one of these and any alternatives?
Thanks. Chris
Old 27 June 2008, 12:49   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I woulld search here for Camel Rib - you will find various posts...
Old 27 June 2008, 19:34   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Jono Garton is someone you want to talk to
I recall seeing some pics of a camel type frame he had built.I think he also had a camel at one point.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 17:22   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Slightly off topic but, I saw a Camel RIB on the Hamble this afternoon with twin 225 Honda's on the back! Nuts.
Old 28 June 2008, 17:26   #5

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
I like them, and they have loads of storage room for camping and stuff.
But, I don't like the frames, and they are prone to problems with welds breaking etc.

also a bit on the big side for a honda 130, an opti or Etec 200 would be a good match I reckon, but can't remember what the max recommended is.
Old 28 June 2008, 18:29   #6

Town: Dartmouth
mmm, there was one that was run from here in Dartmouth several years ago taking people out on thrill rides, possibly the slowest rib once you get more than four people on it, this thing could hold a serious amount of fuel in three separate fuel tanks under the deck. They were never all filled as there was a danger of it never being able to get on the plane! It's a ribtec hull which in my view is very good, if I had one I would reinforce the weak points on the frame and put something like a 175 on it for good measure.
Old 29 June 2008, 10:40   #7

Anyone know what the framework is made from? Also , why is it so tall? It looks to be a lot taller than needed for headroom.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 29 June 2008, 11:12   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
Anyone know what the framework is made from? Also , why is it so tall? It looks to be a lot taller than needed for headroom.
Thanks for the advice.
don't look that tall to me?
http://www.camelboats.com/gallery/Resources/31.jpeg
presumably standing headroom was the design criterion?
Old 29 June 2008, 17:45   #9

Town: Hereford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
I like them, and they have loads of storage room for camping and stuff.
But, I don't like the frames, and they are prone to problems with welds breaking etc.

also a bit on the big side for a honda 130, an opti or Etec 200 would be a good match I reckon, but can't remember what the max recommended is.
mine's CE plated for 130HP, surely i'd have to get this changed if i fitted a bigger lump in order to keep the insurance company happy, how would i go about that?

the frame's aluminium, mine was a photo boat so it's the smaller version and so far hasn't shown any signs of stress despite thumping my head off it numerous times
Old 02 July 2008, 12:11   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Do you really want all that "scaffold" over the top when rescuing dinghies? For that reason alone I'd not bother with a full blown "Camel" rib, Once you got it upright and alongside to reintroduce the crew to their craft, it's inevitable your "lid" will entangle itself with spinny halliards, stays etc etc...... Remember if you're rescuing them, the sea state will be less than flat,and the chances are as they step back aboard the dinghy will heel towards you!

Unless the frames are easily removable?
Old 02 July 2008, 13:44   #11

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
Agree, I'd hate to be doing any sort of rescue job with that gantry over me.

Also, be very careful about insurance, skills level etc if doing safety cover in anything other than a club owned boat - it suddenly becomes a whole different ballgame.
Old 02 July 2008, 21:56   #12

Town: Hereford
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Unless the frames are easily removable?
4 bolts through the hull each side, easy to unscrew but would need sealing somehow

i haven't got the full roofrack (more like an A frame midships) and i love it, it's in a sensible place for people to hold onto, i sit on the self righting bag when i'm ticking over 'whale watching'
Old 09 July 2008, 13:00   #13

Thanks for the replies, all sensible advice. I hadn't considered the potential issues of dinghy rigging getting caught up in the rack. It is a very valid point. I think the answer will be to custom build a lightweight frame with easily removable sections so it can be rigged to carry out whatever role I want it to perform.
I think rather than buying an actual Camel, I will look for a good standard platform to work from and develop what I want from there.
For my frame work, I might consider using Carbon Fibre or such like. I would be looking to keep the weight to a minimum to reduce the centre of gravity as much as possible, as well as the windage.It wont be carrying much weight, just bulky things such as a windsurfer etc A lightweight cover would be good to keep the worst of the elements off.

It is interesting reading the comments regarding CAD. I use CAD from time to time to assist with vehicle designs that I get involved in. I use 2 different types, Cardboard Aided Design to work out the basic object that needs fabricating (in best Blue Peter fashion). I then start bending and welding metal and when I am happy with the finished object, I draw it in Autocad. This way I know it will work and do the job intended, occasionally I have been able to refine my design using Autocad, but the bulk of the work is always done hands on.

I am looking forward to this project, it will have to wait until the winter and when I have finished numerous other projects currently cluttering up my yard.
Old 10 July 2008, 09:14   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Just a thought, but what elements are you planning on keeping out of? A "lid" will keep the sun off, but be as much use as a fart in a spacesuit for keeping rain off when you are travelling at any speed.

If you're designing your own to carry windsurfers, would you maybe be better with a couple of short uprights with a horisontal (A bit like a canoe roof rack on a car) with the upright as close to the toobs as geometry will allow, and carry the board along the top of the toobs, supported on the horizontal beams? Will reduce your aero drag a lot too..... Doing that if you design the support right, you could then remove the windsurfer rack, plant your windsurfer mast in the hole and hey presto, instant committee boat for the dingy racing!
Old 10 July 2008, 10:36   #15

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhunter View Post
mine's CE plated for 130HP, surely i'd have to get this changed if i fitted a bigger lump in order to keep the insurance company happy, how would i go about that?

the frame's aluminium, mine was a photo boat so it's the smaller version and so far hasn't shown any signs of stress despite thumping my head off it numerous times
Pass, and i don't remember the number, but when i was looking at one, it was definitely plated by Ribtec for more than 130HP!
Old 10 July 2008, 18:00   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Just a thought, but what elements are you planning on keeping out of? A "lid" will keep the sun off, but be as much use as a fart in a spacesuit for keeping rain off when you are travelling at any speed.

If you're designing your own to carry windsurfers, would you maybe be better with a couple of short uprights with a horisontal (A bit like a canoe roof rack on a car) with the upright as close to the toobs as geometry will allow, and carry the board along the top of the toobs, supported on the horizontal beams? Will reduce your aero drag a lot too..... Doing that if you design the support right, you could then remove the windsurfer rack, plant your windsurfer mast in the hole and hey presto, instant committee boat for the dingy racing!
The roof would be for when the RIB is stationary or pottering when doing rescue /committee boat duties at the sailing club. It would keep the sun off and the worse of a downpour. I wouldn't expect it to cope with anything more than that. I quite fancy doing some cruising type stuff as well. With a full length framework it would be possible to fabricate some curtains that would convert it into a tent.