Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 August 2014, 12:57   #51
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: driffield
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 36
Just picked up my boat from paddlers. What a nice guy took his time showing me how to set it up and gave me a few bits of advice. Thankyou
__________________

__________________
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2014, 13:32   #52
RIBnet supporter
 
bartiny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Just picked up my boat from paddlers. What a nice guy took his time showing me how to set it up and gave me a few bits of advice. Thankyou
Good one, you will be out on the water soon
__________________

__________________
bartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2014, 08:36   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: driffield
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 36
Yer just hope for some good weather nxt week
__________________
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 05:50   #54
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,926
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Willing to travel across the border to the white rose county, on a no-obligation basis, to demonstrate a working engine he's not really bothered about selling.
Very enthusiastic indeed! Almost Professional I'd say!
From his ebay ad:

"I have over 25 years experience in the marine trade and outboards and i do my absolute best not to sell rubbish engines.

I test all engines i sell for a minimum of 1 or more hours on the river or in a test tank before i list them so buy in confidence

I always try my best to make sure anything i sell is reliable and fit for its use before it goes out

This is a good running engine and and can be seen running for as long as you like here at Hampton in middx

Note

Although I do my absolute best to make sure engines I sell are as good as possible i have recently noticed an increase in to too high expectations of these older 2 stroke outboards

All these 2 stroke engines are at least 10 years old now as they stopped importing them in 2004 and it was illegal to sell them after 2006

It is still illegal to sell one that was imported after this date to a private buyer

Most of these cheaper 2 strokes and the older 4 strokes ( a new 10hp 4 stroke is now 1,900.00-2,800.00 ) are well older than 2004 and usually at least 15 years old and older

Age is not always a factor in an outboards reliability and usually it comes down to how much use its had and how well it was looked after

There are lots of very good 2 strokes still out there but there are increasingly far more bad ones ( I should know as I get ripped of from private sellers all the time and they end up in my scrap shed )

Bottom line is if you intend to put a lot of work through an engine then buy a new engine or fully re build an older one for yourself

Don't expect a 20 year old one to be run at full throttle all day or pushed hard for obvious reasons as you will just ruin your boating experience

All engines have a finite life span and like any engine can and do go wrong, Especially as outboards have to work in a challenging and hostile environment with often little or no maintenance

The pool of good 2 strokes is now getting smaller and smaller and you take a risk on reliability on any second hand engine you buy

This fact seems to have been lost on some people recently
"
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 05:54   #55
RIBnet supporter
 
bartiny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Very enthusiastic indeed! Almost Professional I'd say!
From his ebay ad:

"I have over 25 years experience in the marine trade and outboards and i do my absolute best not to sell rubbish engines.

I test all engines i sell for a minimum of 1 or more hours on the river or in a test tank before i list them so buy in confidence

I always try my best to make sure anything i sell is reliable and fit for its use before it goes out

This is a good running engine and and can be seen running for as long as you like here at Hampton in middx

Note

Although I do my absolute best to make sure engines I sell are as good as possible i have recently noticed an increase in to too high expectations of these older 2 stroke outboards

All these 2 stroke engines are at least 10 years old now as they stopped importing them in 2004 and it was illegal to sell them after 2006

It is still illegal to sell one that was imported after this date to a private buyer

Most of these cheaper 2 strokes and the older 4 strokes ( a new 10hp 4 stroke is now 1,900.00-2,800.00 ) are well older than 2004 and usually at least 15 years old and older

Age is not always a factor in an outboards reliability and usually it comes down to how much use its had and how well it was looked after

There are lots of very good 2 strokes still out there but there are increasingly far more bad ones ( I should know as I get ripped of from private sellers all the time and they end up in my scrap shed )

Bottom line is if you intend to put a lot of work through an engine then buy a new engine or fully re build an older one for yourself

Don't expect a 20 year old one to be run at full throttle all day or pushed hard for obvious reasons as you will just ruin your boating experience

All engines have a finite life span and like any engine can and do go wrong, Especially as outboards have to work in a challenging and hostile environment with often little or no maintenance

The pool of good 2 strokes is now getting smaller and smaller and you take a risk on reliability on any second hand engine you buy

This fact seems to have been lost on some people recently
"
Whats your point willk? that is not my ad!!!
__________________
bartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 06:18   #56
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,926
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
Whats your point willk? that is not my ad!!!
Well I'll be damned - neither it is - sorry dude! The link to someone else's motor on ebay in your original offer foxed me. Nice motor BTW...
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 06:20   #57
RIBnet supporter
 
bartiny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Well I'll be damned - neither it is - sorry dude! The link to someone else's motor on ebay in your original offer foxed me. Nice motor BTW...
Accepted, Thank you.
__________________
bartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 09:36   #58
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Well I'll be damned - neither it is - sorry dude! The link to someone else's motor on ebay in your original offer foxed me. Nice motor BTW...
Just checking whether the batteries are still working in my Irony Detector, or not?
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 11:16   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
I think it was Willk s missing trade member alarm that had a false detection
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 11:34   #60
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,926
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I think it was Willk s missing trade member alarm that had a false detection
Yer! Ever since Poly and Nos and JK took Auguary off and went on holidays, I've been a bit twitchy...it's just me and the whine of the servers

I read the link and went to DEFCON 3

__________________

__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.