Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 05 January 2005, 21:58   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: boat
Make: none yet
Length: no boat
Advice for a first time buyer

Been advised by RIBnet forum members to ask this here (thanks) - I would welcome advice on the purchase of a RIB. I have the opportunity of buying a new Zodiac Pro 3 (4.2m) with a s/h 40hp Yamaha (2002). This has a price of £6250. Is this a good deal? Is it a good package and what should I look out for (and avoid)? I have the chance of an alternative - a 4m tohatsu rib with 40 tohatsu elec start (all new) for £4995. What about this? is it any good? How does it compare to the Zodiac? Much obliged for any help as I know nothing at all about this!
Old 05 January 2005, 22:44   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Bellrock - sounds like a question of what do you want the RIB to do?

Is it for a tender to another (larger) boat, or to use in it's own right?

The reason I ask is that some small RIBs have a shallow hull, nearly flat, and are only for use in a harbour in good weather. A number of members on this forum have similar sized RIBs with a deep V hull that they use comfortably in rougher seas.

I don't know what the 4.2m Zodiac or the 4.0 Tohatsu hulls are like, maybe someone will be able to add to this!

Cheers!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2005, 20:04   #3

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: boat
Make: none yet
Length: no boat
The boat is not intended for use as a tender. I want something that is generally seaworthy for inshore cruising. It has to be readily transportable and storeable (hence size limitation) but it will only ever be used for 2 people. Thanks though.
Old 06 January 2005, 20:40   #4

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
dear bellrock

well come to the forum

your question of sub five meter ribs

as i own a 4.5m valiant dr with a 50 hp i would say a sub 5m would be a very good starter rib i would say the zodiac would be the better choice depending on condition
of the second hand yam and service history

zodiac is a very good make and was one on my list the tubes can be removed
for storage or repair

when buying a sub 5m rib you must have power tilt and trim a jockey seat two man type a medium deep v is the min for the british weather don,t by anywhite rib as they will mark very easy

the price sounds ok for the zodiac with a two stroke if its four stroke its a bargain

good luck
dan
Old 06 January 2005, 21:23   #5

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel TD5
dear bellrock

zodiac is a very good make and was one on my list the tubes can be removed
for storage or repair
My first rib was a Zodiac pro open 550 with a 115 hp two stroke. Tubes needed warranty work done and getting them off for shippng was real easy. I would recomend them.

PS Now I have a Valiant with glued tubes so if you want to ignore my comment feel free
Old 07 January 2005, 00:03   #6

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
I have been in a Zodiac Pro 3 a number of times and its fine as a small rib for small chop for 2 people.

With more than 3 people in it, its a bit of a squeeze, but still a useable 4 person boat at a pinch for short distances.

I wouldn't want to take it out in anything too large, however the ride was considerably dryer than I get out of my current 5.05m Gemini... The one I was in only had a bench seat and a plastic helm seat and this was bloody uncomfortable in chop...

My only comment would be that are u sure you want a sub 5m rib?

I am now looking to upgrade my 5.05m to a 6.5m as I'd like a little more room. As you start to want to do longer distances, maybe take a few friends out, store a wakeboard, picnic basket, lifejackets etc... you may find you want some extra space...

I also note a 5.5m Avon for sale for a little more on boatsandoutboards.com and a 4m for a little less, - I would shop around for a while, I think you may be able to get a better deal/more of a boat at around the 5k mark...
Old 07 January 2005, 06:37   #7

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I would agree with Edward, that is after a very short time in a Sub 5m RIB you'll want something bigger. Trust us you will!

Good luck though, Andy.