Old 05 August 2007, 19:44   #21

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Mylor

Used Mylor when we went to the Scillies.

Arranged to park the trailer and car in the marina car park. Was very easy and the marina staff were very helpful.
Old 05 August 2007, 22:31   #22

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog View Post
I shall endeavour to find 'Pontoon Pete' and see how well he has earned this reputation. Look out for some YouTube footage if I can film the encounter. Sounds like a total loon.
You won't need to look far. Just moor your boat up on the pontoon and he'll find you! You'll really get him in a song & dance if you raft up to one of his hire fleet and climb all over it to get onto the pontoon. He also gets a bit touchy if you leave fuel cans and kit all over his pontoon.
Old 06 August 2007, 03:24   #23

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Boat Ramps

I've read many posts from the UK regarding the appearant difficulty in finding or paying for a launch ramp. In the US and certainly in the Caribbean, boat ramps are considered to be a necessity for the public and are provided by the government, especially in the islands. There is rarely if ever a fee, usually fishing licenses and boating registration fees contribute to their construction and upkeep.

When I consider the fact that we get free launch ramps yet health insurance is an impossibility for about half the population and you get health insurance but can't afford to launch your boats, I have to laugh.

What a planet.

If you make me King, I will decree free public launch access for every subject in my Kingdom. Anything else you want
Old 06 August 2007, 08:26   #24

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
The only maintained free public slips I can think of are in Truro, obviously only on a high tide though!
Old 06 August 2007, 08:42   #25

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
Is the free one in Mylor not maintained ? By the look of the aerial photo there looks like a massive parking area or is that a private boatyard ?

Any suggestions on 'must see' or 'must do' destinations from Falmouth ?
Old 06 August 2007, 10:00   #26

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: E-Tec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
The only maintained free public slips I can think of are in Truro, obviously only on a high tide though!
I use the free slip at Boscawen Park in Truro which is only usable for a couple of hours around high water due to the amount of mud that has built up. Apparently they won't clear it out of the way because it would distress the worms .

There is free parking though and generally it's not busy. I use it to get to my mooring; if you use it for a day its not ideal as you'd have to launch at high tide then recover 10-12 hours later. Also there are several miles of speed restricted river to get out into Carrick Roads.
Old 07 August 2007, 01:00   #27

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog View Post
Is the free one in Mylor not maintained ? By the look of the aerial photo there looks like a massive parking area or is that a private boatyard ?

Any suggestions on 'must see' or 'must do' destinations from Falmouth ?
The slip in Mylor is fine, I don't know who ownes it tho, I was refering specifically to Council owned slips.
I always wondered why they didn't clear the Boscowen slip, surely there is enough mud in Truro for the bloody worms to find a new home pretty easily if they were disturbed!!

Would definately visit the Pandora if you have a nice evening, Don't forget the tide and end up sleeping on the tubes for a few hours tho! Still reckon there isn't a better place to sit outside for a beer on agood summers evening.
Old 18 September 2007, 20:54   #28

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
You won't need to look far. Just moor your boat up on the pontoon and he'll find you! You'll really get him in a song & dance if you raft up to one of his hire fleet and climb all over it to get onto the pontoon. He also gets a bit touchy if you leave fuel cans and kit all over his pontoon.

Well we did our best, we tied alongside one of his boats on Friday and clambered across but he didn't seem to be around!

When we took the boat out again early on Sunday there was a RIB already alongside one of his boats (a blue Avon adventure I think) but alas there was no sign of him then either... we'll have better luck next time hopefully!
Old 18 September 2007, 21:37   #29

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
Well we did our best, we tied alongside one of his boats on Friday and clambered across but he didn't seem to be around!

When we took the boat out again early on Sunday there was a RIB already alongside one of his boats (a blue Avon adventure I think) but alas there was no sign of him then either... we'll have better luck next time hopefully!
Well done.
Old 18 September 2007, 21:40   #30

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

thats cos i harpooned the bastard with me spear gun when i was down there two weeks ago.......mind you i nearly missed him!!
Old 18 September 2007, 21:50   #31

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:

Next time, try this:
1. Hang around until he turns up
2. Enquire as to the cost of hiring a boat.
3. Tell him that his prices are far too expensive
4. Walk away, over his pontoon, over the pride of his hire fleet into your own boat
5. Give him a toot of the horn and a wave as you leave
Old 14 August 2008, 09:47   #32

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: E-Tec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I use the free slip at Boscawen Park in Truro which is only usable for a couple of hours around high water due to the amount of mud that has built up. Apparently they won't clear it out of the way because it would distress the worms .
Couldn't use it this year; the neap tide wasn't high enough to cover the mud. Probably only usable around high water springs for an hour or so.

Used Mylor instead which is a lot better with luxurious floating pontoon - didn't even get my feet wet! Unfortunately Mrs Lawrence wasn't so lucky...

Quite busy though with several boats using it at once with some interesting attempts at reversing through narrow gaps.

Sadly, didn't meet the legendary Pontoon Pete.