Old 19 August 2013, 08:25   #1

Length: 7m +
Advice about Jetskiers

Need advice how to deal with Jet Skiers ridding the wake and coming too close, had an incident recently with a Jet Skier following in my wake, excelerating and coming within about 7 to 10 Meters from my stern. It is a regular issue in the Poole area especially when just leaving the harbour entrance or approaching the harbour entrance. Makes me extremely twitchy, nervous and is rather dangerous as I am very limited in those circumstances to course changes or speed changes, if I had to stop suddenly I would have a jet ski through my outboard and maybe worse. Last year I had 3 incidences of jet skiers falling off their skis right in front of me as they were jumping the wake of a large powerboat in front of me approaching the harbour.

Any advice welcome, usually hand signal and verbal sound of F*** Off does not seem to work, last incident the guy just laughed.

So what works best, slow right down completely and risk collision, change course and risk collision or what ?
Old 19 August 2013, 09:25   #2

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Length: 6m +
Engine: Opti 150
Open the throttle and see how brave they are....

Sorry
Now serious answer, the only way to stop them is to slow down (gently off the throttle) and they'll soon get bored and find another victim.
In a previous life I was riding very fast bikes both on the road and on the track.
Some of our behaviour would have been deemed shocking to other road users, but to us was totally in control. I guess it must be like this for jet skis. They have outrageous amounts of performance on tap and to other water users it can look dangerous (and sometimes is) but to them it feels normal.
Just slow down and enjoy the scenery until the louts clear off.
Old 19 August 2013, 11:20   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Joka-Tu
Make: Monterey
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchc View Post
Open the throttle and see how brave they are....

Sorry
Now serious answer, the only way to stop them is to slow down (gently off the throttle) and they'll soon get bored and find another victim.
In a previous life I was riding very fast bikes both on the road and on the track.
Some of our behaviour would have been deemed shocking to other road users, but to us was totally in control. I guess it must be like this for jet skis. They have outrageous amounts of performance on tap and to other water users it can look dangerous (and sometimes is) but to them it feels normal.
Just slow down and enjoy the scenery until the louts clear off.
Or speed up so that your wake flattens out. They lose interest then.
Old 19 August 2013, 13:37   #4

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Get a camera and start taking picture / video of them. I seem to recall there were some issues at the slip way a few years ago and action was taken against the persons involved?

Sadly there are idiots in all areas. I am sure there are plenty of courteous jet ski users but the minority give them a bad name!

Slow down until they get bored seems a good solution as long as you dont put yourself In danger.

It really is quite intimidating having something so close that can cause serious damage that you dont have control over! Not easy situation!
Old 19 August 2013, 13:42   #5

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Call Poole Harbour Control on 14 and seek help/assistance/advise... there very helpful and intrested in 'ski's since the incedent in Studland bay a year or two ago..
Old 19 August 2013, 14:05   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Poole is blighted by them. Some are ok, but most seem to be absolute pratts.

I agree with Ashbypower, get onto Poole Harbour Control.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 15:18   #7

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
What about start filming them, not for the entertainment value. I am aware many harbour authorities require them to present quite a portfolio of documents before allowing there use, that's if they are paying thier dues. I would have thought they would be very conscious of having their dangerous behaviour reported which may jeopardise future use. Then maybe I am just getting old.
Old 19 August 2013, 16:05   #8

Town: Alton
Boat name: Douggie
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 mariner
I was leaning over the back of the rib fixing the outboard the other day when a ski came past a few feet away and deliberately soaked everyone onboard!
All I managed was and angry shout that he didn't hear anyway. I couldn't find him at the slipway!
Old 19 August 2013, 17:19   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Need advice how to deal with Jet Skiers ridding the wake and coming too close, had an incident recently with a Jet Skier following in my wake, excelerating and coming within about 7 to 10 Meters from my stern.
Quote:
Last year I had 3 incidences of jet skiers falling off their skis right in front of me as they were jumping the wake of a large powerboat in front of me approaching the harbour.
boris, I'm sure its just the way you have written it but that comes across as its ok for you to follow close behind jetskis but not for them to follow close behind you.
Old 19 August 2013, 17:26   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Having seen the behaviour of jetskiers in Poole I assumed that he meant they were crossing at high speed in front of moving boats.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 19:01   #11

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
boris, I'm sure its just the way you have written it but that comes across as its ok for you to follow close behind jetskis but not for them to follow close behind you.
I ski and rib, as always its the minority that spoil it for the majority , most weekends I witness idiots in ribs, hard boats and skis - maybe we could start a negative thread about all watercraft
Old 19 August 2013, 19:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
For clarity, returning towards poole harbour entrance to the side slightly and behind other boats at a safe distance, jet skiers were crossing the flow of the traffic jumping big boats wake in front of me. Basicaly they hang around the entrance to cross the natural flow of traffic and jump wakes, the older style of jet ski rather than the more jet bike version are prone to the riders falling off.
Old 19 August 2013, 19:50   #13

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I've posted this thread on PWC forum to see what they say. Here's the link:Ribbers not happy about jet skiers - PWCforums
Old 19 August 2013, 19:57   #14

We all know there are wan&&&rs on the water in all types of craft. There are less jet skiers on the water in my area and more other types of boats. However the jet skiers contribute greatly to being in the most pain in the backside catagory if your making way in your boat, swimming near the shoreline or at anchor, thats just facts. Im not enjoying moaning about them im passed that, what i need is sound practical advice about how to deal with them. So far i guess no pointbcalling phc as the skiers will be gone by the time they respond so alternative is to slow down gently which in itself is risky or speed up which then may increase the risk. So screwed whatever. Maybe if everyone actually reported incidences to the harbour master then maybe the threat of banning them in the area might encourage the culprots to tame their behaviour. I aint go no answers.
Old 19 August 2013, 20:13   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
....so alternative is to slow down gently which in itself is risky ....
really? frustrating maybe but rarely would slowing down gently actually increase risk.
Old 19 August 2013, 20:38   #16

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Being a regualar user of the Harbour, I can concour with Boris and sadly, I dont have the answer.
PHC have a very small presence in the harbour, with at busy times one hard boat and one jetski, covering the 2nd largest harbour in the world. Calling in problems with PWC's is difficult as identification is difficult and it could end up with one persons word against another.
The Parker produces a huge wake at sub-planning speeds and is targeted as we leave and enter the harbour, with the added "thrill" of some trying to soak our passengers with the stupid roster tail (what is that all about?). We cannot give gestures or shout, as that would look/sound unprofessional in front of the passengers.
I would say very strongly, that it is the minority of PWC, as we have some very pleasant interactions with most of the others (running along side or giving each other wide berths).
Steve
Old 19 August 2013, 20:46   #17

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
.. with the added "thrill" of some trying to soak our passengers with the stupid roster tail (what is that all about?).
Only Yamaha Waverunners have this feature. The idea is to provide extra visibility when skiing in surf or heavy skis. Like this for instance. The bit at 01:28 is particularly full-on.

Old 19 August 2013, 20:56   #18

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Its actually to give a visual indication of a partial or blockage on the jet aperture.
Even a plastic bag around the jet will reduce the water jet considerably.
Old 19 August 2013, 21:58   #19

Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Only Yamaha Waverunners have this feature. The idea is to provide extra visibility when skiing in surf or heavy skis. Like this for instance. The bit at 01:28 is particularly full-on.

Crikey. I initially thought what an idiot. But then he did spend the first ten seconds putting his kill cord on....

I also thought he's got serious balls going out in waves like that. Until he stacks it at 1.28, looks like any balls he had were fired back up inside given how hard the ski lands....
Old 19 August 2013, 23:17   #20

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
I thought I was on YBW for a moment

General intolerance of PWC and PWC bashing is not normally a feature of this forum.

So there are a few nobs out there, in the central Solent where I sail we see far more selfish power boaters than we do PW riders, however I usually just smile at their ignorance and get on with my day. Like road rage, (or forum rage) it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.

If however one of the minority of any group are endangering you or you family, get the camera out as previously suggested. I reckon that will scare most people off.