Old 19 August 2013, 15:01   #11

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350sci x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
boris, I'm sure its just the way you have written it but that comes across as its ok for you to follow close behind jetskis but not for them to follow close behind you.
I ski and rib, as always its the minority that spoil it for the majority , most weekends I witness idiots in ribs, hard boats and skis - maybe we could start a negative thread about all watercraft

Old 19 August 2013, 15:49   #12

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
boris, I'm sure its just the way you have written it but that comes across as its ok for you to follow close behind jetskis but not for them to follow close behind you.
For clarity, returning towards poole harbour entrance to the side slightly and behind other boats at a safe distance, jet skiers were crossing the flow of the traffic jumping big boats wake in front of me. Basicaly they hang around the entrance to cross the natural flow of traffic and jump wakes, the older style of jet ski rather than the more jet bike version are prone to the riders falling off.

Old 19 August 2013, 15:50   #13

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I've posted this thread on PWC forum to see what they say. Here's the link:Ribbers not happy about jet skiers - PWCforums
Old 19 August 2013, 15:57   #14

We all know there are wan&&&rs on the water in all types of craft. There are less jet skiers on the water in my area and more other types of boats. However the jet skiers contribute greatly to being in the most pain in the backside catagory if your making way in your boat, swimming near the shoreline or at anchor, thats just facts. Im not enjoying moaning about them im passed that, what i need is sound practical advice about how to deal with them. So far i guess no pointbcalling phc as the skiers will be gone by the time they respond so alternative is to slow down gently which in itself is risky or speed up which then may increase the risk. So screwed whatever. Maybe if everyone actually reported incidences to the harbour master then maybe the threat of banning them in the area might encourage the culprots to tame their behaviour. I aint go no answers.
Old 19 August 2013, 16:13   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
....so alternative is to slow down gently which in itself is risky ....
really? frustrating maybe but rarely would slowing down gently actually increase risk.
Old 19 August 2013, 16:38   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Being a regualar user of the Harbour, I can concour with Boris and sadly, I dont have the answer.
PHC have a very small presence in the harbour, with at busy times one hard boat and one jetski, covering the 2nd largest harbour in the world. Calling in problems with PWC's is difficult as identification is difficult and it could end up with one persons word against another.
The Parker produces a huge wake at sub-planning speeds and is targeted as we leave and enter the harbour, with the added "thrill" of some trying to soak our passengers with the stupid roster tail (what is that all about?). We cannot give gestures or shout, as that would look/sound unprofessional in front of the passengers.
I would say very strongly, that it is the minority of PWC, as we have some very pleasant interactions with most of the others (running along side or giving each other wide berths).
Steve
Old 19 August 2013, 16:46   #17

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
.. with the added "thrill" of some trying to soak our passengers with the stupid roster tail (what is that all about?).
Only Yamaha Waverunners have this feature. The idea is to provide extra visibility when skiing in surf or heavy skis. Like this for instance. The bit at 01:28 is particularly full-on.

Old 19 August 2013, 16:56   #18

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Its actually to give a visual indication of a partial or blockage on the jet aperture.
Even a plastic bag around the jet will reduce the water jet considerably.
Old 19 August 2013, 17:58   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Ginger
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Only Yamaha Waverunners have this feature. The idea is to provide extra visibility when skiing in surf or heavy skis. Like this for instance. The bit at 01:28 is particularly full-on.

Crikey. I initially thought what an idiot. But then he did spend the first ten seconds putting his kill cord on....

I also thought he's got serious balls going out in waves like that. Until he stacks it at 1.28, looks like any balls he had were fired back up inside given how hard the ski lands....
Old 19 August 2013, 19:17   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
I thought I was on YBW for a moment

General intolerance of PWC and PWC bashing is not normally a feature of this forum.

So there are a few nobs out there, in the central Solent where I sail we see far more selfish power boaters than we do PW riders, however I usually just smile at their ignorance and get on with my day. Like road rage, (or forum rage) it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.

If however one of the minority of any group are endangering you or you family, get the camera out as previously suggested. I reckon that will scare most people off.

tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote