Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Advertised Price V's Price Paid

I am currently looking at what is available on the second hand market with brokers, and as the title suggests, I would like to know peoples previous experiences when buying a second hand RIB from a broker in terms of the advertised price, and the price paid.
I understand that it will have a massive difference on what’s on offer, how quick the seller would like to get rid, and even the time of year.
I am guessing (and hoping) that the advertised price is not the price they will accept, but I dont want to go in at £5k under and insult them, nor do I want to pay over what they would have taken.

https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 12:20   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I'd rather go in £5k under and get it and run the risk of insulting them!

Old 29 January 2012, 12:20   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Most dealers no matter what they sell are used to getting cheeky offers. If you don't ask you don't get. I wouldn't worry too much about offending anyone, most dealers are probably a bit thicker skinned than that.
Good luck.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 13:15   #4

Town: Plymouth
You have to with some customers

Seriously though with brokerage boats it's very different for each boat, dependant on the customers circumstances and desire to sell. Some have big margins to allow offers or are willing to accept a reduced priced for a quick sale. Others are happy to sit on it until the right price comes along.

As the season gets closer you'll find the latter being the case. Like others have said though you can only ask!

What you have to remember with the traders that only broker is the sale price makes no real difference to them. They just want a sale. If the client is happy to take x,y or z then they get the commission regardless. Obviously they want as much as possible for the client (and a higher commission) but at the end of the day it's not them that is taking the hit! so they will put any offer in if they think there's a chance it'll get accepted.

Personally with my own retail sales I price them very well so have not got a lot of movement left. I prefer that to starting silly then dropping a massive amount. Most boats I sell do so at full asking. On Brokerage I'll put all reasonable offers to the client, unless an agreement is already in place.

For example I've just sold two Ribeye 600's with Yam 115's, one 2002 for £7,995 - the other 2004 for £9,850. The first was full asking. The other I dropped £150 because I liked the guy but also because it was sold within 24 hours of marketing.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 29 January 2012, 17:17   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
IMHO moving 1.5% isn't the the norm. It's a tough sellers market in this economy for low end luxury goods. Ribs 10-15k I'd guess can be dented by 5-10% off asking prices if negotiated properly. No one should be paying full asking price on a second hand boat!!!!

If you can't get 5%, walk. There'll be another.
Old 29 January 2012, 17:27   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Paul, I'd have thought you were definitely in the right ball park for a discussion that wouldn't offend. However, surely a "walk away" decision is based on whether the boat is a sensible value / price rather than just because you get "5% off".
Old 29 January 2012, 17:35   #7
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
I think there's an article in the February Motor Boats Monthly about brokers and offers. They don't like being asked "What is your best price?" as an opener. They don't like being offered silly money early in the season. They do like being offered a discounted price if the mark buyer has cash and is ready to view and complete quickly, which kinda figures, as they make a wad and can move on to tougher prospects.
Old 29 January 2012, 17:48   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
The "best price" quote is bang on, bloody annoying.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 18:05   #9

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL
IMHO moving 1.5% isn't the the norm. It's a tough sellers market in this economy for low end luxury goods. Ribs 10-15k I'd guess can be dented by 5-10% off asking prices if negotiated properly. No one should be paying full asking price on a second hand boat!!!!

I agree it's not. I had enough margin to give a bigger discount but it was priced correctly so it sold. Most traders would hike the price up to accommodate your 5% discount. As Polwart says if it's already priced at the right money why cut our nose off to spite your face ?

If a trader offers you your perfect used package for £1,500 less than it should be (or an asking price your happy to pay) would you walk away if they refuse you a discount ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 30 January 2012, 05:44   #10

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I think there's an article in the February Motor Boats Monthly about brokers and offers. They don't like being asked "What is your best price?" as an opener. They don't like being offered silly money early in the season. They do like being offered a discounted price if the mark buyer has cash and is ready to view and complete quickly, which kinda figures, as they make a wad and can move on to tougher prospects.

Yes I had read this, and thats whats prompted me to ask if anyone had any examples of getting any good deals - £5k off perhaps?

https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote