Old 20 August 2014, 15:53   #1

Length: 5m +
Advantage of a RIB/SIB?

Ok, a friend is after a boat and asked me the advantages of a rib/ sib over a similar sized traditional boat, e.g. an open boat in the 16-20ft range. He is looking for a family boat to explore the coast, anchor for picnics etc. I am struggling to find any good reasons he should go for a RIB or large SIB instead of a hard hull. Any ideas?

RIBs seem a bit short on space for families, picnics etc and they do take more effort with tube pressures to monitor, punctures and so on. It also appears to be quite expensive to purchase a rib with any sort of cuddy for shelter.

Any thoughts would be great, cheers.
Old 20 August 2014, 21:18   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
RIBs seem a bit short on space for families, picnics etc and they do take more effort with tube pressures to monitor, punctures and so on. It also appears to be quite expensive to purchase a rib with any sort of cuddy for shelter.
RIBs are certainly shorter on space than a comparable length hard boat. Forget SIBs for family trips up there. A forward cuddy fisher with a decent hull and good power might well be the answer for your friend. Every coastline makes their own version suited to local conditions.
Old 21 August 2014, 00:40   #3

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Egress
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150HP outboard
Based in space per foot/metre a RIB will always lose out in this comparison. There's no effort in monitoring tube pressures and punctures are very rare. They are very safe boats and cope with rough seas well and, I assume, are lighter than an open boat. You need a RIB much bigger than 20 foot to get a cuddy.

Grahame
Old 21 August 2014, 06:13   #4

Thanks. Good points. However much I like RIBs, it does seem like he'd be best off with a 16-18' traditional boat with a cuddy for shelter. Something like an Orkney. He wouldn't be out in the more extreme weather conditions which would give the RIB a big advantage. Space and shelter, along with predictable handling, good sea keeping and reasonably economical seem to be the main points.

I will pass on the points you made, appreciate the thoughts, thanks.
Old 21 August 2014, 06:52   #5

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
I've been on most types of Orkneys and Arran's over the years, we owned one for a while. On the plus side they offer good cuddy protection and plenty of space. On the minus side the planing ones slap quite a lot at speed and the non planing ones wallow a lot. If your friends family like a flatter smoother ride then a rib is worthy of thought. If they could try both in a slight chop or rougher they would see the (big difference). I also had a sib, great boat for a few hours fun but family would have to be very keen and like being wet to enjoy that. The ride difference between my 20ft rib and an Orkney fast liner of the same size is massive. For my family they preferred the stability of a rib once they tried it, actually they were amazed by how secure they feel - and no one got sea sick on it, yet! That said if the choice is for a non rib the Orkney's seem pretty seaworthy and hardy. We also had a 18ft quicksilver, I wouldn't go there! We all learn. Richard
Old 21 August 2014, 07:51   #6

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Having tried both variations & various inbetween its a difficult choice. If they are likely to be fine weather boaties then a rib is unnecessary as their forte is when the weather turns or you get some chop.

Some friends of ours have a rib with a leisure layout & its a great picnic'ing thing with plenty of seating etc. A cuddy is very good idea with families, even an open cuddy is better than being lashed in the rain if you get the weather wrong.

I'd love a cabin/cruisette style rib with a leisure layout but nobody appears to make one for sensible money.

This has been our boat for the last couple of years, just sold it. A perfect fair weather leisure boat, easy to launch, dry & warm even in the winter months. Heaps of room on board for the size of it too. Not much good in anything above a F4 though! It was OK but not much fun onboard. But like many we are fair weather boaties.

Old 21 August 2014, 18:56   #7

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Budget? Usage?

Rib-X eXcite, Mai Toi is fmaily friendly Brokerage | Rib-X for sunny days, the stability and positive bounacy of a rib are the key differentiators plenty of leisure boats on the market for that of use. some of the larger fletcher sports boats and bayliner bowriders for example. OR a Boston whaler (or cheaper bayliner trophy nice looking sports fishing boats....Bayliner - Trophy 2002 Motor Boats for sale in Hampshire, South East :: Boats and Outboards
Drago - Sunday Fisher Motor Boats for sale in Hampshire, South East :: Boats and Outboards

Ribs are easy to handle light and easy to tow but not the best for cover or deck space, a motor sailor sound sidela for his use. You can camp on one with a family of 4

MacGregor 26X for sale, 7.90m, 1999 | Boatshed nice boat

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/T...B225VlgEGXS.97
Old 21 August 2014, 19:37   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Ahh yes, the Macgregor 26x-the Herald of Free Enterprise of the Rag'n'Stick world.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 20:33   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
1984 Moody 27 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk The moody is a nicer tub but its all down to use and budget, fact is there are lots of boats out there to suit various uses and budgets
Old 22 August 2014, 08:38   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
But you're comparing apples to oranges surely. We've gone from SIB to Yacht, neither of which is ideal for the OPs intended purpose. The OP will get much more "bang for his buck" with a tidy hard boat with a cuddy or small cabin, than a RIB. He'll lose out on seakeeping, but if he's only bay hopping in fair weather, it will suit his purpose.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 09:38   #11

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 130
We had an Orkney Vanguard, which when we just wanted an estuary and bay hopping boat with little kids was perfect. We were never going to be out in any weather that would get the benefit of a RIB. The space and cuddy for the kids to be under was priceless when the kids were 2-7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-08-22 10.38.43.png
Views:	235
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	98152  
Old 22 August 2014, 14:45   #12

Thank you all, very much appreciated!

They are after a small motorboat that can be towed behind there estate car. The more thought I give it, the more I believe that some form of cuddy or pilot house would be a huge benefit for the kids, as mentioned here. Shame no one seems to make a rib with one at a competitive price.

How did the Orkney Vanguard perform in chop? The hull is supposed to be good, especially if not pushed too hard. Fisherman seem to think well of the Orkney range.
Old 22 August 2014, 14:56   #13

The sort of chop you'd be out in with kids - great.

We got caught a couple of times coming back into Fowey in big waves and she was fine.

That hull was happy running at between 14-18 knots on the plane, it isn't a speed demon and it isn't the boat if you want to do lots of off shore heavy weather stuff - you want a RIB for that.

When we were looking, one of my friends said "warm dry kids are happy kids, happy kids equals happy wife. Happy wife means more boating"

He was right, there were plenty of holidays where we used the boat every day, whilst if we didn't have the shelter for the kids a RIB or any open boat for that matter would have stayed on the trailer or in the marina. For us at the time in life, I can't recommend a boat with shelter enough. That particular boat worked for us as my wife liked the looks of the boat.

We have sold the boat now the kids are 5 and 7 and want more thrills and spills, I'm back racing keel boats and we have an Aerotec with a 15hp which we keep in the garage of the motorhome.

*edit* the boat being an Orkney held its value very very well during the time we had her. We looked after her and selling was a very easy process
Old 22 August 2014, 15:04   #14

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post

Thank you all, very much appreciated!

They are after a small motorboat that can be towed behind there estate car. The more thought I give it, the more I believe that some form of cuddy or pilot house would be a huge benefit for the kids, as mentioned here. Shame no one seems to make a rib with one at a competitive price.

How did the Orkney Vanguard perform in chop? The hull is supposed to be good, especially if not pushed too hard. Fisherman seem to think well of the Orkney range.
The Orkney Boats I've been on,and seen belonging to friends perform as well...or Better than all the other smallish hardboats I've tried of the same size.....they are well built and hold value amazingly!..I had a "longliner" (no Cuddy)with a 15hp 5 yrs and it was pretty good in light to med Chop,and quite dry, considering,with decent Sea Keeping.
The trick is not asking too much of that type of Boat...having said that I got caught in a few squalls and never felt unsafe!
It's just hard to be too complimentary....when you've had RIB's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 15:11   #15

Maximus - totally agree, we had RIBS before and I was using an 8 metre Scorpion at the time we had the Orkney.

You've hit the nail on the head - don't expect to much from a hard boat and if you do go that route an Orkney is a safe place to put your money.

Well as safe as a boat can be!!
Old 25 August 2014, 17:00   #16

All good stuff, thanks. Passed it on and it was well received. They will focus on a hard boat with some form of cuddy/ small cabin but possibly go down the RIB route in the future. Also showed him this forum, seems to be a wealth of info. here.
Old 25 August 2014, 17:41   #17

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I'm late this this conversation but I took some friends out whale watching the other day and they couldn't stop saying, "I've never been in a boat this small that rides so smooth". Small being a 7m zodiac but it was nice to hear from somebody I've never boated with.

jason
Old 26 August 2014, 08:40   #18

Cheers. A deep v hulled RIB would certainly provide a better ride in the chop but, in this case, the advantage of some form of shelter for the family outweighs this. They plan to use it when the weather is suitable for family trips around the coastline. As the boat will also spend some time on a mooring, a traditional boat would also avoid the hassle of keeping the tubes clean and free from fouling.

I suspect they will move on to a RIB later though, when the kids are older.

Tags
rib