Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15 June 2016, 05:04   #1
Country: UK - Wales
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Advanced Powerboat Training Requirements

Hi this is my first post so aplogies if its in the wrong place. I wonder if anyone could give me some information, at present i have an RYA level 2 certificate but i would like to take an Advanced powerboat course and ultimately get a commercial endorsement certificate. If i were to pass the Advanced powerboat course is there any Prerequisite qualifications and experience required such as sea time etc before you could take the commercial endorsement? or once you have passed the advanced powerboat course can you then just sit the commercial endorsement exam?. Any advice would be most appreciated thanks

matey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 05:45   #2
Ribochet's Avatar
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 923
Hi matey - welcome to Ribnet

I would certainly encourage you to pursue your ambition to obtain a commercially endorsed Advanced Powerboat Certificate.

However as you seem to be aware there are a number of different stages, requirements, qualifications and exams on the way.

The RYA website contains most of the answers you want - such as:

Advanced Powerboat | Exams | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA
Advanced | Powerboat | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA

However I would advise you to talk, in person, to a RYA Advanced Powerboat Instructor/Trainer who will give you chapter and verse on this journey.

You will find such a person in a RYA Advanced Powerboat RTC such as Plas Menai.

Good luck

Maximum Preparation - Maximum Fun
Ribochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 09:17   #3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 86
Advanced Powerboat is two parts, there is the Advanced Powerboat course, for which you get issued with a certificate confirming you've completed the course, and the exam for the Certificate of Competence issued by the RYA and MCA. Most schools offer the exam as a third day to the course.

The exam requires more sea time than the course, plus a first aid certificate (from the list the RYA accepts), and a higher level of theoretical knowledge (Yachtmaster theory) than the course (DaySkipper Theory) and a radio course (VHF SRC is the current one).

Once you've got the Advanced Powerboat exam passed you can set out to commercially endorse it, for that you'll need a sea survival ticket (RYA or STCW, if you're going to go into commercial stuff my view is the STCW is more useful), a medical (ML5 oe ENG1, again for bigger commercial stuff the ENG1 is more sought after) and a Personal Practices and Responsibilities certificate, which you can study and do the exam for online.
markmullen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.