Old 21 June 2013, 10:15   #1

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Advanced Powerboat Course This Summer

Is anyone running an Advanced Powerboat course on a weekend, preferably towards the end of July/start of August (but before the September 1st deadline when the theory moves up to Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster level)?

I live in London, so the South or East Coast would be preferable, but I could be prepared to travel if the location and/or boat are suitably interesting enough :-)

Also out of curiosity does anyone ever do these in a closed boat?

It would just be me, so I would probably just have to tag onto an already planned course I'm guessing.
Old 21 June 2013, 13:23   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
It's changing to Coastal Skipper level because that is considered to be more appropriate (and I agree with that change). Why would you want to be one of the last to do the lower standard? My recommendation would be, even if you do the course before the deadline - learn your navigation up to Coastal Skipper.

Just my opinion
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2013, 13:37   #3

Town: london
Boat name: Yo-Yo
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 300
I did my PB2 with Chas Newens in SW London, I am sure he said that you could do advanced some were near greenwich? Might be wrong but worth a try.
Old 21 June 2013, 14:18   #4

A fair question Sea Skills, the reason being twofold....firstly because I am planning to move abroad after September, not necessarily straight away, but potentially anytime within the next year, it is very difficult (maybe impossible?) to find an Advanced Powerboat course outside the UK.

The second reason is because I would like to hire a small powerboat when we are on our honeymoon in September, whilst I would like to think my boat handling skills are reasonable having done the Intermediate course last year and owning my own boat (plus sailing and displacement motor cruiser experience) I would like to try and improve slightly by doing the Advanced course.

By doing it this way I can always do my coastal theory over the winter regardless of where I am located!

Maxg- There is a company called The London Powerboat school that does it, but they wanted to charge £500 and would only organise a course if I can find at least one other person.
Old 21 June 2013, 17:47   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
you may struggle at this time of year. Night passage has to be in darkness - which is not as 'convenient' to organise!
Old 21 June 2013, 18:31   #6

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
We would be happy to organise a course for you, but don't have any other students wanting to do it at the moment as most people do the course in the winter when darkness is at a more social able time! 1:1 the course would be £620. If you can find someone else to do it with you, we would be happy the split the cost 50/50. The course would be conducted on our 2012 Humber 7.5m with Honda 250hp.

See Plymouth Powerboat School - RYA Powerboat Training for more details
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2013, 18:40   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
A fair question Sea Skills, the reason being twofold....firstly because I am planning to move abroad after September, not necessarily straight away, but potentially anytime within the next year, it is very difficult (maybe impossible?) to find an Advanced Powerboat course outside the UK.

The second reason is because I would like to hire a small powerboat when we are on our honeymoon in September, whilst I would like to think my boat handling skills are reasonable having done the Intermediate course last year and owning my own boat (plus sailing and displacement motor cruiser experience) I would like to try and improve slightly by doing the Advanced course.

By doing it this way I can always do my coastal theory over the winter regardless of where I am located!

Maxg- There is a company called The London Powerboat school that does it, but they wanted to charge £500 and would only organise a course if I can find at least one other person.
Bill @ London Powerboat School really knows his stuff - he used to drive RIBs for Greenpeace. Really nice guy.
Old 21 June 2013, 19:32   #8

Unfortunately there's no chance of me finding a second person for this so I would have to tag along onto an existing course :-(
Old 24 June 2013, 13:57   #9

Length: 6m +
Try these guys, an hour from london

RYA Powerboat Training | Rye Harbour Marine
Old 24 June 2013, 15:13   #10

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
Is anyone running an Advanced Powerboat course on a weekend, preferably towards the end of July/start of August (but before the September 1st deadline when the theory moves up to Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster level)?

I live in London, so the South or East Coast would be preferable, but I could be prepared to travel if the location and/or boat are suitably interesting enough :-)

Also out of curiosity does anyone ever do these in a closed boat?

It would just be me, so I would probably just have to tag onto an already planned course I'm guessing.
Im doing the advanced course the weekend of July 13th/14th with powerboat training in Poole based at cobbs quay, I believe there is 1 other person doing it with me so you might be able to also join. Have a chat with them.