Click Here to Login

Old 07 September 2019, 21:13   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: Knotty Rita!
Make: Zodiac pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
acetone on Hypalone, any side effects ?

I bought a 4m avon searider last year. I am basically stripping it down and building the interior so it's not just fit for purpose but a bit more to what I want.
The previous owner painted it red,(most but not all and some of it is peeling and cracking), I have bought orange paint for it but would prefer to remove the red paint for a better finish.
Is it safe to use acetone to remove the red paint or am I risking damaging the tubes ?
I have cut away the front part as part of the modification process and on testing found the red paint lifting with next to know effort. Basically within 20 seconds of contact it can be rubbed off. I don't however want to put this stuff on the tubes if it's going to damage them as I'll end up having to buy another boat as the price of new tubes isn't worth the hassle.

Thoughts ?
Old 07 September 2019, 21:40   #2

Town: Frome
Length: no boat
It’ll be fine ����
Old 08 September 2019, 18:29   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Tiny Dancer
Make: Valiant
Engine: 50hp outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername View Post
I bought a 4m avon searider last year. I am basically stripping it down and building the interior so it's not just fit for purpose but a bit more to what I want.
The previous owner painted it red,(most but not all and some of it is peeling and cracking), I have bought orange paint for it but would prefer to remove the red paint for a better finish.
Is it safe to use acetone to remove the red paint or am I risking damaging the tubes ?
I have cut away the front part as part of the modification process and on testing found the red paint lifting with next to know effort. Basically within 20 seconds of contact it can be rubbed off. I don't however want to put this stuff on the tubes if it's going to damage them as I'll end up having to buy another boat as the price of new tubes isn't worth the hassle.

Thoughts ?
Sorry, can’t help with the paint removal but if you’re turning a deluxe version into a console version I would drive up and buy the old seat base from you.
Old 08 September 2019, 20:06   #4

Town: Inverness
Boat name: Knotty Rita!
Make: Zodiac pro 9
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Sorry, can’t help with the paint removal but if you’re turning a deluxe version into a console version I would drive up and buy the old seat base from you.

Sorry, i've cut the seat base up, using either side for back seating and the other seats for a jockey.
It didn't leave much room and was more for the speedboat enthusiast, sorry I couldn't help you out.
The avon build quality is really good though, can see why they have a good name for themselves....

Ignore this OP now though, way to much work removing the old paint, going to rub down and hope the paint I use is good enough to create an elastic effect and not flake away in future. If it does i'll just buy some more!!!
Old 08 September 2019, 21:59   #5

Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Would not use asctone on hypalon ! Will attack it !
Old 08 September 2019, 22:12   #6

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
I've tried using acetone on a sea rider that was painted black.

Depends on the paint, its really really really hard to shift the proper Hypalon paint. I found that one litre would only do a tiny patch and gave up as it just would not be cost or time effective to remove so much paint.

If it is coming off then I think your in luck but just go slow and gently. I used one of those black scotch brite type pads and it didn't do much to the Hypalon.
Old 08 September 2019, 22:35   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Acetone on hypalon is fine
Old 12 September 2019, 22:11   #8

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Acetone on hypalon is fine
Agreed.
Old 13 September 2019, 00:30   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
A wise decision would be to try on a patch, that way it will only cost you a patch if it starts melting into it. Also be aware the acid might attract the glue on seams, so keep it away from those.