Click Here to Login

Old 27 May 2004, 14:11   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
A RIBbing dream-the Croatian coast

I thought I would share with you an experience that I had last summer, and intend to repeat this: the Croatian coast. It is spectacular and ideally suited to people with boats like ours. The coast is lengthy and is fringed with 1135 islands so it is is no problem to get your very own bay (or even island) to yourself, when you go off exploring each day. Unlike a lot of coastlines it is dotted with hundreds of small villages and is most definitely not dogged with the Blackpools and Benidorms of this world. Island and quaint fishing port hopping is simple.
I could go on forever about its plus points and it is not that far to take your boat. Get and early morning ferry to Dover, drive to Munich and stay overnight (Munich Marriott has great rates compared to UK Marriotts - around 70 Euros), then the next day down to Ancona and get the overnight ferry to Split, Zadar or Dubrovnik. Alternatively drive through Italy to the northern part, Istria.

If anyone is interested I can advise in much more detail. I vist the area with work and have many local contacts. Most three bedroom apartments (in detached houses overlooking the sea) cost around 60 Euros per night if you book direct. I can provide you with Croatian interpreters if you want but many of the locals speak passable English, Italian and German.

THE WAR FINISHED in 1991 and you will see no trace of it down on the coast.

taitharris@yahoo.com if you are interested in further comments.

p.s I'm not in the travel business.
Old 27 May 2004, 14:58   #2
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Weather...

What is the weather like in that part of the world in the winter (October through to March)?

D...
Old 27 May 2004, 15:27   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by taitharris

THE WAR FINISHED in 1991 and you will see no trace of it down on the coast.

taitharris@yahoo.com if you are interested in further comments.

p.s I'm not in the travel business.
Last september I flew from the UK to Ancona and then took a ferry across to Zadar. Spent 10 days on the coast and agree a great place for ribbing.
would not agree with you that no trace along the coast , perhaps not by the coast but drove from Zadar to Split and the amount of burned down villages ect was just terrible, very very sad

food is cheap and so is accomodation but you need to buy a licence if you want to use your rib

From your profile one can tell you are not in the travel business, but an interesting one anyway

Andre
Old 27 May 2004, 15:33   #4

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Great place

I was helping a friend run a racing regatta there in May 2001, and I have to absolutly agree. Great people, coastline and towns. We were in the north and sailed from Pala to Umag via Porec and Rovinj and finished with a party on the Island of Brijun. I would go back anytime.
It can get a bit breezey, we had one day of fierce thunder storms and the wind went from 12kts to 50+ in less than 1/2 hr.
Old 27 May 2004, 16:59   #5

Town: Ermelo
Make: Zodiac pro open 650
Length: 6.5
Engine: optimax 150
HI,
Normally I have my vacation in italy (lago di Garda). But last year I started the discussion to go to Croatia. We are looking for a camping with mobile homes directly at the water. And the possibility to launche and moar the boot.
Any suggestions? Thanks

greetings rene