Old 17 May 2003, 11:36   #11
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Painted the stern drive of my Pacific 22 with antifoul because I want to keep her in the water for the summer. I agree that a roller gives a good if mat finish, whilst the finish with a brush was awful. Used a long hair radiator roller. The other rib lives on a trailer all year round but came with antifouling paint. Just left it alone as its in good condition and really can't be doing with spending a whole weekend with chemicals to remove it.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2003, 12:46   #12
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
my tuppence worth

If the boat that you are looking at (which I have heard about in some detail Bern ) is in good condition and well fitted out and importantly the right price don't let the antifouling put you off. As it is dry stored at present and you would be using it from a trailer the antifoul shouldnt get eroded much so you will not need to recoat it or remove it in a hurry. Also if it gets a bit tatty whats the bother? I dont imagine it'll do much to affect your performance. Finally antifouling a 6m RIB is not going to be that much hassle even if you decided to do it once a year. (I've done bigger yots, now that is a pain in the behind!)

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2003, 09:35   #13
Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Big Blue
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 140
Antifouling Outdrives

If you want to antifoul an outdrive unit, then the best product that I'm aware of for this is an International product called VC Prop-O-Drev which comes in 500ml aerosol cans, which makes it easy to apply to all the tricky bits you can't reach with a brush or roller.
It is formulated specially for outboard lower units / sterndrives etc.

Hope this is of use.

Andy Cox

Andy Cox is offline   Reply With Quote