Old 13 August 2014, 15:07   #11

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350sci x 2
'Too much criticism from people on here, dont know what some peoples issues are. I cant be bothered anymore.Over and out.'

100% true!!! wasn't it you calling all PWC owners wankers only a few weeks ago. Do I need to mention that a couple of recent 'incident' threads have had jet skiers rescuing people..........enough said

Old 13 August 2014, 15:15   #12

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Too much criticism from people on here, dont know what some peoples issues are. I cant be bothered anymore.Over and out.
Hey dont worry about it fella .. forums eh ? just gotta move on and keep the faith dude

Old 13 August 2014, 15:48   #13
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Lesson there is if a channel is clearly marked which it is most of the time at mudeford then there is a bloddy great reason why its marked num nuts... ha ha people are always getting stuck on that sandbar.
Quote:
As to the large number of people at mudeford, the majority were coffin dodgers asleep in there micras or fat people stuffing themselves with chips, or others intent on catching as many crabs as possible and then allowing their kids to torture them in a bucket for an hour or so. They wouldnt notice if the Titantic was sinking in front of them...........

Too much criticism from people on here, dont know what some peoples issues are. I cant be bothered anymore.Over and out.

Sorry Boristhebold - I didn't mean to sound judgemental or critical or anything
Old 13 August 2014, 16:03   #14

Length: 3m +
Quote:
If I had phoned the coastguard I would have been still talking to them on the phone as I arrived outside the lifeboat house.
Erm - you should have stood still on the phone. The coastguard have this really radical system of technology that lets them request a lifeboat launch without having to send runners to the RNLI station. Its a bit weird but it involved someone in the coastguard contacting the RNLI launch authority who will then page the RNLI...
Meanwhile you can remain on the line giving any update to the CG.
If you'd been in your rib but unable to help them would you have run ashore to ask the RNLI or would you have called the CG...
Quote:
You called them num nuts, you didn't follow the CG advice. You slagged them off -- so I quite agree too much criticism on here... ...what's your issue?

http://t.co/qBuQbcCBjk
Old 14 August 2014, 04:08   #15

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
"Over and out"

Hold on a minite here

Your asking someone to reply and saying I'm leaving

That's a little Hollywood

I recommend a VHF dsc course
Old 14 August 2014, 06:55   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Quote:
Lesson there is if a channel is clearly marked which it is most of the time at mudeford then there is a bloddy great reason why its marked num nuts... ha ha .
While marked channels are really helpful, I'm not sure we can always criticise people for going outside such a channel per se.

I recall from my RYA courses that it's stated that small craft doing the latter can be fine, and may help avoid danger / nuisance to larger or less manoeuvrable vessels.

Of course the caveat is if you are doing so to have a chart / local knowledge etc etc.

While they may have been irresponsible in this case, I'm just a tad wary of a general assumption being supported that going outside a buoyed channel is, in itself, always a sign of ignorance / irresponsibility.

Just saying
Old 14 August 2014, 15:00   #17

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Mudeford is the one place that for sure you never leave the channel....
Old 14 August 2014, 15:20   #18

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
While marked channels are really helpful, I'm not sure we can always criticise people for going outside such a channel per se.

I recall from my RYA courses that it's stated that small craft doing the latter can be fine, and may help avoid danger / nuisance to larger or less manoeuvrable vessels.

Of course the caveat is if you are doing so to have a chart / local knowledge etc etc.

While they may have been irresponsible in this case, I'm just a tad wary of a general assumption being supported that going outside a buoyed channel is, in itself, always a sign of ignorance / irresponsibility.

Just saying
Wholeheartedly agree BUT as you say an up-to-date, corrected, chart will tell you what lies outside the channel and whether such a decision can be contemplated, or not?

The state of the tide and strength of the wind will also inform your decision, not only because of the depth of water you're likely to find but how far the buoy is likely to be from the charted danger. With the tide on the ebb, combined with a strong wind, it's entirely possible that a channel marker buoy could be lying 50 metres from it's position when the tide's flooding strongly three hours before high water...

In a rib, I can completely ignore all the channel markers in the Mersey for approx 18 hours each day but if I adopted the same attitude on the Menai Straits, especially on Caernarfon Bar, I'd wreck my boat very quickly indeed.
Old 14 August 2014, 16:09   #19
RIBnet supporter

Thanks folks - nice to see a more informed discussion about why being outside a marked channel doesn't always make you a "num nuts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Wholeheartedly agree BUT as you say an up-to-date, corrected, chart will tell you what lies outside the channel and whether such a decision can be contemplated, or not? .
Old 14 August 2014, 16:14   #20
RIBnet supporter

PS - Anyone like to deal with the " coffin dodgers asleep in there micras or fat people stuffing themselves with chips" bit now.....

Steve (likes chips, some weight to lose but no Nissan Mirca - so 2 out of 3!)