Old 01 June 2009, 10:50   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Big Fat Rib
Make: Watercraft Int.
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard
A new project. But where to start...

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, and I have never driven or owned a rib before, so please bear with me! Congradulations on a good site though - lots of valuable information.

Anyway moving on, my old man has a rib, but unfortunately its been neglected over the years. Just doesnt use it, so he has agreed to let me use it (hurray) But before I do so I would like to refurbish it. As far as im aware, its mechanically sound as it had a lot of work done recently to the engine etc, so its just a question of tarting it up. I have attached pictures of it. PS one of the pics has me in it. Sorry about that!

This is, as far as im aware used to be RNLI, and im in the process of finding out the construction from Schat Harding (used to be Watercraft International). I havnt a foggiest myself, but would anyone be willing to hazard an educated guess? The tubing is sturdy but fairly flexible, but the surface is very coarse and tough. A foam like finish. Whats a typical for this type of boat? I need to determine the actual fabric construction so a painting material can be specified to tackle the job.

My first port of call therefore would be to clean and paint the tubing, but seeing as its not Hypalon, what product would I use? Any ideas? I tried phoning IBS but their not too sure?

Many thanks,

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00501.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	42884   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00502.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	42885   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00503.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	42886   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00504.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	42887  
Old 01 June 2009, 11:18   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: patch
Make: avon sr5.4/4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 90/honda 30
hi chris
nice rib im in the ECA aswell and havent seen that boat move in years, i have just painted my tubes with a paint from the rib shop in the hamble and the finish is really good, its £30 a litre but if your only going to one coat it which should be ok then one tin will be enough, hope this helps and good luck cheers tim
Old 01 June 2009, 11:27   #3

Hi Tim,

That made me laugh when you said you hadnt seen it move it years!

Its a shame though, because im sure plenty of people are waiting for a berth - but I am definitely going to make use of it if my old man doesnt.

Im a bit cautious with painting products, as it seems most people have the Hypalon type, and im not most paints would adhere to this type of material?
Old 01 June 2009, 12:25   #4

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
looks like a watercraft RI6 with PU foam tubes
Old 01 June 2009, 12:35   #5

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
if your going to paint them they will need a really good clean first, you may find after a clean you dont want to paint them.
theres plenty of threads on here about cleaning tubes.
not sure what TFR is like on PU tubes but it works wonders on hypalon, paul tilley will know if its OK to use,
if it is then get some from machine mart £10 a gallon, mix 50/50 with water and apply with a spray bottle. use a green pan scourer to rub in and rinse off after 10 minutes. keep it away from ali though it will attack it.
Old 01 June 2009, 12:58   #6

Thanks for the replies.

What does TFR stand for? I will thoroughly clean them first and see how they turn out as you say paddle. However im assuming that the colour has faded a lot, as the boat is quite old, made in 1991, but if painting is not necessary then thats good enough for me!

I have used the search button lots, but unfortunately none of the questions/ answers I can find relate to a boat with foam tubes, mostly Hypalon : /

Paul what is PU and do you know whether the TFR would work on it?

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 01 June 2009, 13:18   #7

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
TFR traffic film remover, its a very agressive caustic detergent that will cut through thick grease oil and other sh1t remarkably well such as oxidided pigments that make paint and hypalon tubes look chalky and faded, neat it will also remove some paints and attack aluminium like acid would eat through other metals. it will also saponify the oils in you skin and dry your skin out so gloves are essential.
PU is i think polyurethane? Paul????
Old 01 June 2009, 17:26   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
looks like a watercraft RI6 with PU foam tubes
Think it is the bigger version R22. Start by cleaning the tubes as suggested before thinking of painting.

Have a chat with Polymarine reference paint if you do need to though.

http://www.polymarine.com/products/p...ries/index.cfm

Pete
Old 02 June 2009, 14:43   #9

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG FAT RIB View Post
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, and I have never driven or owned a rib before, so please bear with me! Congradulations on a good site though - lots of valuable information.

Anyway moving on, my old man has a rib, but unfortunately its been neglected over the years. Just doesnt use it, so he has agreed to let me use it (hurray) But before I do so I would like to refurbish it. As far as im aware, its mechanically sound as it had a lot of work done recently to the engine etc, so its just a question of tarting it up. I have attached pictures of it. PS one of the pics has me in it. Sorry about that!

This is, as far as im aware used to be RNLI, and im in the process of finding out the construction from Schat Harding (used to be Watercraft International). I havnt a foggiest myself, but would anyone be willing to hazard an educated guess? The tubing is sturdy but fairly flexible, but the surface is very coarse and tough. A foam like finish. Whats a typical for this type of boat? I need to determine the actual fabric construction so a painting material can be specified to tackle the job.

My first port of call therefore would be to clean and paint the tubing, but seeing as its not Hypalon, what product would I use? Any ideas? I tried phoning IBS but their not too sure?

Many thanks,

Chris.

Welcome to the site chris, I'll probably bump in to you down the eca at some point im there a lot with my seariders! I've seen you're new boat and had a look plenty of times over the years - bit of a weapon!!

good luck with it
Old 02 June 2009, 16:49   #10

Hello im surprised how many ECA members there are on this site...two days and already a couple of people recognise the boat. I didnt even mention ECA in my first post < : O

I wouldnt say its a new boat though! But hopefully be a bit of fun. Im intriged to find the HP figures for it. Waiting for Schat Harding to let me know : )

Chris.
Old 02 June 2009, 18:53   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Aren't the tubes foam covered hypalon/PU ones? Can you post a picture of a valve as it looks like they're set quite a way in the tube.
Old 02 June 2009, 20:12   #12

Yes il take a better picture next time im there, forgive my ignorance, but regarding the valve position, is this where there are several of the small circular cut outs in the foam? I did notice that the foam had been patched repaired in a couple of places (cant see it in any of the pics), so this would imply an inflated core, rather than a solid foam tube?

EDIT - also in one of the pictures, there appears to be a kind of 'lip' in the foam, when I was there I could lift this lip away from the remainder of the tube (not a nice example, but like rolls of flab, sorry) so perhaps it is rolled foam of some kind ontop of an inflatable core as you say. But for some reason this 'lip' is only on one side and not mirrored.
Old 03 June 2009, 16:11   #13

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
Out of interest, I'm pretty certain that's not ex-RNLI. Doesn't look to be like any style of boat of theirs that I can think of.

Probable history, given its "white cross" refective markings, is that it was a fast response craft used in the offshore industry, probably a daughter craft for a standby vessel - we have a few like this around the fleet and they're fairly distinctive. The other possible is it was a training vessel from Warsash.

Looks a good project though!
Old 03 June 2009, 19:04   #14

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
There was one for sale on Portland for years in the mid 90s. Think it had a Volvo TAMD 31 type of engine, 4 cylinders and about 130 hp.

Pete
Old 03 June 2009, 19:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
Out of interest, I'm pretty certain that's not ex-RNLI. Doesn't look to be like any style of boat of theirs that I can think of.
You might be right, it was just a hunch going by how it looks I suppose. My old man said it was used in the North Sea...but for what purpose im not sure.

Might chase Schat Harding tommorrow, this waiting game is killing me. Anyway iv bought myself a boat cover:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boat-Cover-Top...3A1%7C294%3A30

Im intent on giving it a really good clean at the weekend, probably with TFR if its appropriate for use on this tubing material. Then will cover it to stop is getting messy.

Its a shame in a way that its an inboard jet driven boat, as its not as simple as removing and replacing. If it had 130hp at manufacture then after almost 20 years im looking at something considerably less, although the engine was overhauled not that long ago.
Old 03 June 2009, 19:39   #16

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Anyway iv bought myself a boat cover:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boat-Cover-Top...3A1%7C294%3A30
Ah, another member for the club.

The boat looks good by the way.
Hope to see you out on the Solent soon.

Nasher.
Old 03 June 2009, 19:50   #17

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
You might be right, it was just a hunch going by how it looks I suppose. My old man said it was used in the North Sea...but for what purpose im not sure.
As said doesn't look RNLI, it does look like an FRC off a Standby Boat.
Old 05 July 2009, 12:39   #18

Hello, the rib was cleaned over the weekend. Tubes came out nice. Used TFR with a pressure washer. Although there are still some minor stains I guess these will never be removable. Shall post pictures soon.

have a couple more questions. Could anyone tell me what the name is for the rubber strips down the edge of the tubes as shown in the pics. Im after some replacements as its come off in an area. Also is there any wax product or similar that can revive the tube material even further? Tubes are solid foam btw, and are cracked due to exposure over the years.

Thanks.
Old 05 July 2009, 12:54   #19

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
oooohhh if it has solid foam filled tubes then its not a true RIB ,,,,,,only joking,,,,,though i doubt its an ex rnli ,unless it had been loaned to them for evaluation trials for a while ,as chewy says it looks more commercial ex frc or safety boat ,going by the way its marked up with retro refletive tape .but you will have an excellent boat when its finished and sorted . mart .
Old 05 July 2009, 13:21   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Hello, the rib was cleaned over the weekend. Tubes came out nice. Used TFR with a pressure washer. Although there are still some minor stains I guess these will never be removable. Shall post pictures soon.

have a couple more questions. Could anyone tell me what the name is for the rubber strips down the edge of the tubes as shown in the pics. Im after some replacements as its come off in an area. Also is there any wax product or similar that can revive the tube material even further? Tubes are solid foam btw, and are cracked due to exposure over the years.

Thanks.
You don't need a pressure washer - concentrated TFR and a nylon brush is the way to do it - the scruubing action is essential - a normal hosepipe does the rest. Did you use a brush???