Old 20 February 2012, 20:40   #41
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Without an A-frame, I'm at a loss at where to put my radar....but on a smaller rib, there may not be a point.
Lots of RIBs have RADAR and no A-frames, especially over your way. T-tops, frame over the console, cabin roof etc.
Old 20 February 2012, 20:44   #42

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Well I wouldnt be without one, as already said its a vital aid for having a slash in lumpy water f**k most of the other reasons .. lets be honest .. ohh ok..... it keeps me lights up and holds the radar etc ... that said .. Ive also used it to good effect to lower my aux on to my transom or bracket in big water.. infact I used to practice the drill, as I prefer bigger auxes, to your standard egg whisk. This way.. youve got control of the unit, rather than man handle the thing over the back in your hour of need (assuming you store it inboard as I did)
Old 20 February 2012, 21:06   #43

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, it really is horses for courses.
If you were operating a Safety Boat where I am, the boat spec I am building is what I want to fulfil my tasks based on experience gained. I view it as a working boat rather than a pleasure boat, so it is function over aesthetics.It wont be to most peoples taste, but it will do what I want.

I had an A frame and have binned it as it got in the way when dealing with some incidents. What I am building now will improve the boat for the roles I am using it for. I will post some pics when its finished.
Old 20 February 2012, 21:26   #44

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, it really is horses for courses.
If you were operating a Safety Boat where I am, the boat spec I am building is what I want to fulfil my tasks based on experience gained. I view it as a working boat rather than a pleasure boat, so it is function over aesthetics.It wont be to most peoples taste, but it will do what I want.

I had an A frame and have binned it as it got in the way when dealing with some incidents. What I am building now will improve the boat for the roles I am using it for. I will post some pics when its finished.
Dont confuse me with chavboaters mind .. holding the Aframe is almost the finale after getting the dry suit off ... then I discovered dry suits with ahem 'extra' zips
Old 21 February 2012, 07:27   #45

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBob
I look after our sailing club patrol RIBs and am considering just removing all the A frames. As far as a mere sailor can see all they do apart from being handy for VHF aerials is get in the way. As we don't run at night so need no lights and could mount the aerial on the console can anyone give me a good reason for keeping them?
The very early Atlantic 21,s dident have any sort of A frame having the VHF aeriel /lightsmounted on a mast fitted to the rear of the seats,
The short roll cage then came about after one capsized in surf and was washed upside down on a beach with thoughts of trapped crew underneath and to protect engines,
having then a good place to mount a light/VHF mast
A number of years later self righting bags were developed and fitted.
As was said ,,,,horses for courses

Must admit though on some smaller ribs ive seen the amount of flare boxes ,lifebelts,antennas,lights ,flags,spotlights ,plastic crates and old fish boxes reflectors coils of rope mounted the windage and drag must have an effect of fuel economy and stern weight with some resembling small boat jumble or a cold war Russian trawler.
Old 21 February 2012, 15:01   #46

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
Well I did fancy one but the cost made have a good long think....... This is what I am in the middle with, still needs a 360o White light mounting on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-36504695.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	65804   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2773903856.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	65805  
Old 22 February 2012, 10:13   #47

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy758 View Post
still needs a 360o White light mounting on top.
Is the florescent one you have got on it now not good enough then ??
Old 22 February 2012, 17:14   #48

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
Lol, just because my arms are short and pockets deep for a proper one! 
Old 24 February 2012, 21:26   #49

Boat name: SeaRider SR4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 55HP Yam
Here's one more way to use it; lifting your outboard off the transom using one of those heavy duty straps for 2000kg or so...single-handely that is!
Excellent for raising the outboard a few inches/ doing repairs without having to take all the cables and else off, and calling all your mates to give a hand.

A jack underneath there won't do the trick in my case; since the boat is permanently situated at a 15 degree slope...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-frame-spanband.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	65871   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-frame - motor af.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	65872  
Old 28 March 2012, 18:50   #50

Town: Livingston
Boat name: Volante
Make: Osprey Eagle 5.6m
Engine: Mariner Optimax 125
Taken the A-Frame off my rhib, it looks better with out it. Going to mount the antenna on the transom and the GPS on the front of the console. The A-Frame was a bit ugly anyway, home made job, but solid, weighs around 15kgs and was huge so hope to see a bit of a fuel saving.
Old 29 March 2012, 08:14   #51

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
.. holding the Aframe is almost the finale after getting the dry suit off ... then I discovered dry suits with ahem 'extra' zips
Try a search for P-valve.

jky
Old 29 March 2012, 11:47   #52
red

Town: Alton
Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Zodiac Hurricane, Ca
Engine: Diesel 170hp
Make sure you are not removing a self righting A frame otherwise you could be in for an inverted surprise should you capsize.
Old 29 March 2012, 15:56   #53

Town: Livingston
Boat name: Volante
Make: Osprey Eagle 5.6m
Engine: Mariner Optimax 125
No, it a home made job, and a rough home made job at that!
Old 31 March 2012, 06:35   #54

Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider

I would be interested to see the pics when finished! We also almost binned the a frame for reasons indicated but in the end(leaving it on another 6 months) it proofed,to be a.good way of getting all the gizmo's ( antennas - flashy lights - place to put boat's Registration number - windset - navlights) out of harms way and it also has been a great tool to haul buoys around a racing course at high speeds without towing them or ' hugging' the engine all the time, so we decided to leave the a frame in.
Have been pin end boat at an international regatta last year (ISAF format requires a boat there marking the line instead of a (dan) buoy) and then it actually proved to be a good safety feature (didnt feel the urge of wearing a helmet anymore) but.... Horses for courses!

For our yachtclub rsq boats NO WAY they would have a frames for reasons you indicated , they (and their drivers)hit things they shouldnt.

Thanks for the consoleframe / t top idea i actually like this a lot although it will get also in the way if a dinghy is in an not entirey upright position one way or the other. one problem in close quarters i foresee is the fact there is still a big structure with a lot of gizmos but this time you dont see it when driving....i might be wrong since have no experience with it whatsoever...