Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 April 2012, 10:51   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
If you design it carefully, it will be able to utilise the fixing points for the motor and towing eyes, so you wont need to drill more holes through the transom. You should also give thought to how much it will weigh when constructed, it can get heavy quickly.
__________________

__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 11:19   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Small RIB? Have you thought about a single upright post? All nav lights can be mounted on it, along with a GPS antenna, VHF aerial, and your GoPro. Saves quite a bit of weight, and simplifies design.

jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 12:06   #13
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
It is out of 5cm & yes it is very strong.
Thanks Nick


Quote:
Originally Posted by john lee View Post
I made one up out of plastic pipe from wickes diy then took it to the steel fabricators.
Thats pretty much what i did for the old boats back rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
If you design it carefully, it will be able to utilise the fixing points for the motor and towing eyes, so you wont need to drill more holes through the transom. You should also give thought to how much it will weigh when constructed, it can get heavy quickly.
Hadnt thought about using the existing holes from the towing eye, but that opens up a possible idea of using a more substantial single pole as mentioned by jky (below) utilising the existing towing eye holes. Would also therefore stop any issues with weight at the rear end, something i hadnt given much thought too, but its already a little rear end happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Small RIB? Have you thought about a single upright post? All nav lights can be mounted on it, along with a GPS antenna, VHF aerial, and your GoPro. Saves quite a bit of weight, and simplifies design.

jky
Small Rib = Zodiac Pro 420, i know its bigger than my old valiant and sib prior to that, but smalll when i compare it to most that leave the harbour with me. Normally 5 to 6m ribs.

I already have a single pole for a VHF aerial, maybe if I move / lose the existing pole which is a little flimsy and encorporate a stronger single pole it will provide as you say fixings for the lights and a steady base for the camera. If i also bolt it with the towing eye holes already in place it should also stop the wobble it currently has (maybe) with just simple screws being used.

Oh decisions decisions.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 12:17   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
I binned the A frame on mine and fabricated a mast instead, along with some lifting/towing rings on the transom. It works a treat for the Safety Boat role it performs. The only thing I would possibly change is the loud hailer, I went with ICOMs recommendation without checking how large it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIB mast.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	67319  
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 12:30   #15
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
I have to say i was set on an A frame, but am certainly coming round to the idea of a stronger and better fixed single pole. I can mount everything i want such as VHF aerial and all round white, plus the camera for skiing.

The other nav lights can probabaly fix to the rail around the console. I appreciate i may be a few cm's out by law with the lights doing this, but its going to be on the very odd occassion on a lovely summers evening that they get used.

The wife prefers a pole idea......Cost wise reasons not pole dancing ones

Do you supply ear defenders for those sitting under the loud hailer
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 13:38   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
A couple of my frame on my 4m ....an Outhill one that cost more than I care to think about now !

As said some thought and it could be bolted in the same holes as towing eyes. It does have inserts inside to stop the bolts crushing the tube which mush be maybe 2.5 - 3 inch diameter ( but thin walled) so doesn't support much, but is ideal for use of the onboard 'facilities' as Nos said
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140004.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	67324   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140002.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	67325  
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 15:47   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
I have to say i was set on an A frame, but am certainly coming round to the idea of a stronger and better fixed single pole. I can mount everything i want such as VHF aerial and all round white, plus the camera for skiing.

The other nav lights can probabaly fix to the rail around the console. I appreciate i may be a few cm's out by law with the lights doing this, but its going to be on the very odd occassion on a lovely summers evening that they get used.

The wife prefers a pole idea......Cost wise reasons not pole dancing ones

Do you supply ear defenders for those sitting under the loud hailer
I aim it forward when using it. On the move it is excellent for monitoring radio coms over the wind and engine noise. Downside is when there is a group of us close by and one of the others transmits... Jimi Hendrix would be proud!
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 15:51   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
A couple of my frame on my 4m ....an Outhill one that cost more than I care to think about now !

As said some thought and it could be bolted in the same holes as towing eyes. It does have inserts inside to stop the bolts crushing the tube which mush be maybe 2.5 - 3 inch diameter ( but thin walled) so doesn't support much, but is ideal for use of the onboard 'facilities' as Nos said
If I was making an A frame, I would weld some flat plate onto the tube and mount the frame via the flat plate, rather than bolting through the tube.
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 05:16   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mullion Cornwall
Make: Zodiac Pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 40hp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
I purchased the 149 'A' frame on eBay for my Pro 420 and it fitted a dream. It has two fixing points on both uprights and is as solid as a rock. Wouldn't be without the frame particularly on a reasonably small rib when you need to grab hold of something at the rear (so to speak!). I had mine fitted and was told that I wouldn't have got the steel tube for the price I paid for the frame.
__________________
LeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 06:30   #20
Member
 
Glow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lancashire
Boat name: Trigger Happy
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI: 235907196
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 188
Is there any way you can see to make it removable for storage?
__________________

__________________
Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.