Old 10 December 2002, 16:27   #1

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
A frame !

Time to start spending the money on the toys. I want to get an A frame for my pro 550. Any suggestions please, do I get one made from stainless steel or buy a ready made model. And where do I get them ?
Old 10 December 2002, 17:29   #2

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Scotty,

Search under gantry or A frame on here, I found a very reasonable company that build to order, details and a photo went on about 7 weeks ago.

Pete

P.S. I found it, it is on the old Rib or Sportsboat thread half way down page 6. I have no personal experience of their work at the moment, but hope to use them soon. Make up your own mind and check them out if that is what you are looking for.
Old 19 December 2002, 11:03   #3
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Scotty, if you can't get one locally, try this place. Nautequip Marine, Hartlebury, Worcs. 01299 251005. ask for janet. They do a very nice double A frame, 316g s/s, adjustable for width between 125/220cm. Height 120cm. Also folds forward for transport. 300pounds.

D.M.

P.S. It is very similar to the one on Andre's boat in the cruising section.
Old 19 December 2002, 16:09   #4

Anybody had experience of an 'A' frame destabalising a boat? I have been speaking to Glastron in the USA about getting the best place to have mine sited on my new boat. They told me that they do not recommend them as it could cause handling problems with the boat. They say it was designed as it is sold and that any alterations (e.g. a life raft on an 'A' frame) could destabalise it. I guess if it is just for an aerial and is not heavy that would be OK, but I wanted mine to store stuff on like a roof rack.

Pete
Old 19 December 2002, 16:19   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I suspect, Pete, you have just discovered why we prefer RIBs!!
Old 19 December 2002, 16:40   #6

Brian,

I guess if I can't go for the roofrack model, I may have to go for the trailer version i.e. tow a Rib behind with the safety gear in

I would hate to be like a pendulum swaying about with all the gear and suitcases on my roofrack, L.O.L.

Pete
Old 19 December 2002, 19:14   #7

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
A frame

Scott on the round Ireland A frame repairs where made by Red Bay Boats to one of the guys ribs, stainless welding requires plasma arc plant ,not everywhere does this, it would be worth mailing the guys in Cussendall and seeing if they will do you one as a one off, I would also recommend mailing the guys in Lencraft down in Waterford another boat builder.The most important thing is to get stainless made of the right type,Tim will tell you all about the two or three types of stainless that are available and which type is suitable for marine,We have had some stainless requirements in the past again Tim knows of this guy in Dublin who made us a manifold I think he is in Sandyford,send Tim an emai,remember some stainless can rust at welds and even our stainless props show surface rust, again I am not the expert but this aparntely is due to lack of oxyigen, so the matieral you use is really important as there are different grades of stainless.As you are in Dublin drop out to Western Marine and talk to Hogan he will know if a Zodiac A frame is available for your rib gavin
Old 20 December 2002, 20:33   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
A frames & Glastrons

Pete.

Not really a big surprise, a liferaft must way a fair amount and sticking it 3 ft plus u[ in the air isn't going to do much for your C of G!

I have a better idea, you could get those nice people at henshaws to make up some inflatable tubes to go around your boat..................

Alan