Old 05 June 2005, 02:02   #1

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
A fine day on the water

It was a gorgeous Saturday here in Marblehead. Since I couldn't convince my 5 y.o. to go sailing, in went the Searider. Just this week I finally got around to fixing the power tilt & trim (replaced the solenoid). What a difference! I was really playing around with it in the very light chop. I think we may have very nearly gotten airborne a couple of times off other boat wakes.

And this thing goes pretty frikkin' fast when properly trimmed out. Or at least it seems to. And I don't think I even had it at WOT. I'm having so much fun with this silly little rib. It's really starting to come together now. Only a few more little bits to sort out, like the tach & speedo, and an electrical problem with the digital compass (probably the old switch). And just minutes ago I won and eBay auction for a fixed mount VHF! Ran some Seafoam through the outboard while on the dock at lunchtime to decarbon the engine. An amazing amount of nasty looking gunk came out the exhaust of the 25 year old Merc. I think I'll do that again soon...

Spent some time watching friends race J/24s, and gave a little coaching to a few boats. Went ashore and had lunch, then back out to visit Beverly harbor where some of the 24's live. Visited with a few folks there before heading home, finally putting the rib back on the trailer. About 7 hours from launch to recovery. Quite a lovely day on the water. And after what seems like 2 months of cold, rainy nasty weather, it was a joy to have a warm sunny day and be out in a t-shirt & shorts!

Just thought I'd share!
Old 05 June 2005, 14:01   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Cool! Please post some pictures!
Old 05 June 2005, 16:07   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I had my first day at sea (this side of the Atlantic at least!) this year when we went sailing yesterday. Nice sail but after 28C on Friday, yesterday was cold, grey and rainy with temps dropping to 8C in the afternoon!! Was nice to be afloat again but will wait for a nicer day to take some pics.

Now all I need to do here is find a RIB........